Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
This is repetitive, but okay, some don't check former threads. Post-Sept 2011 has the factory fix. Whether you have the Owners Manual or not. Shame on all of you who sold this stuff on ebay instead of passing it on to the car's next owner.
KTBD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Apologies...My most recent post on this thread had a typo. From Maserati factory service bulletin, engine number 148697 started the fixes at the factory. The engine number is the definitive case. Cars assembled sometime on/after Sept 2010 (look on the driver door jamb) correspond. There is a picture in my earlier post that shows where the engine number is located on the car.

Happy driving!
KTBD

3,104 Posts
One small problem with the video posted above...He just replaced the variator with the same one that just had problems...I see this often..Dealers sell people old stock...There is a newer style unit to replace these that looks totally different...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
One small problem with the video posted above...He just replaced the variator with the same one that just had problems...I see this often..Dealers sell people old stock...There is a newer style unit to replace these that looks totally different...Jason
Don't you just love dealer parts desks?

·
Registered
50 Posts
According to the Maserati technical bulletin *any* engine (4.2 or 4.7) with an engine number of <148697 is potentially susceptible to variator issue
C
Any indication of the correlating year when engines numbers above that 148697 started ? Seems like 2011 or so ?
Just curious when Maserati fixed the variator problem and if it's safe to assume that all GTs after that year ( whether it's 2011 or 2012...) are unlikely to have this issue ?
I have 2010 QP V GT S with engine No 149697 which was registered in June 2010

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
"...registered in June 2010..." (?) I seem to recall that the vehicle ASSEMBLY dates corresponding to engine numbers >148697 were any AFTER September 2010.
KTBD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jason, i have read your posts, thank you for all your contributions. Guys like you are invaluable to guys like me.

I can't see the video, but assuming this is the one of the guy vise-gripping the camshaft to avoid re-timing. I realize this is a short cut, but what are the problems you see with this approach, and how much time would it cut off the service?

Thank you,

3,104 Posts
I`m not real familiar with the vise-grip video...I can tell you not getting the cam timing right sucks. You'll generally end with up with an engine that runs fine, but sets a camshaft error...It doesn't take much to flag a fault...Bad news...It is all coming apart again...Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just completed this job on my 2009 F1 GTS: Staggering. I also did upper/lower rad hoses, differential oil, F1 fluid flush and reset, plugs and seals, oil and filter. Yikes, I must love this car.

3,104 Posts
I had to replace all 4 on a Ferrari California once(same basic engine)...One of the intake variators would not return to home position and would set a check engine light...Most people are not gonna replace just one.....Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hell guys,
I'm about to place order for a pair of variators to be replaced for my GTS.
Before going forward with the order, can I confirm if there are other items that have to be replaced together with the variator replacement job?
I have seen someone posted this photo below somewhere in the forum. I wonder what the cylinder-looking items are?

Lastly, if you guys don't mind, could you please confirm that I have come to the correct listing for my order?
Are both (left and right) identical units?
They seem to share the similar item number on Eurospare website.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok guys.
Thanks to this video

I think I have finally figured out what those cylinder-looking parts are.
These are "OIL PRESSURE CHECK VALVE" with item number 296016

Question:
Are these parts necessary for replacement too?
My GT has been experiencing "startup rattle" like everyone else.
Only difference is I have seen that most people usually experienced it during cold start, while mine mostly happened
after engine has been running for a while.
For example, driving about 5km to gas station, turning it off, starting it up again, then here comes the "rattle".

21 - 40 of 58 Posts