Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Maserati technical bulletin *any* engine (4.2 or 4.7) with an engine number of <148697 is potentially susceptible to variator issues

C

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
My very experienced shop's owner tells me that the incidence of variator problems in the dry-sump engines is about 1 in 20, while the wet sump 4.7 L from 2007-2010 has about 1 in 3 needing the big fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do oil changes every 5000 miles and drive it rough everyonce in a while and you shoukdnt run into the issue.. if you baby the car it will happen ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do oil changes every 5000 miles and drive it rough everyonce in a while and you shoukdnt run into the issue.. if you baby the car it will happen ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Odd. That's not what Maserati say.....

C

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
According to the Maserati technical bulletin *any* engine (4.2 or 4.7) with an engine number of <148697 is potentially susceptible to variator issue
C
Any indication of the correlating year when engines numbers above that 148697 started ? Seems like 2011 or so ?
Just curious when Maserati fixed the variator problem and if it's safe to assume that all GTs after that year ( whether it's 2011 or 2012...) are unlikely to have this issue ?

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I'd risk trying to pin it to a year. There are all sorts of cases where old components have been fitted to much newer cars. For the sake of a quick check of the engine number or of documentation that it's been fixed.

C

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
It will be at the dealer next week for the 12 mos service , so I'll ask them for the engine number since they'll change the oil and various other fluids, so they'll be near where the plate or " stamp " with the number is located .

Just hoping they're a bit more experienced than the other dealer service department ( mentioned a different thread ) who never heard of a variator. Hopefully I won't have to point at the front of the car and tell them : " and this is where you'll find the engine you're going to service " :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Unbelievable ! The dealer said they had no access to view what number is stamped on the block in the course of what they did for the 12 month service . According to them , you'd pretty much have to take the engine out of the car to see that. Also, they have no way of cross-referencing VIN with engine numbers . Disappointing ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unbelievable! I was the one who started the other thread you referenced. A couple of members have said they have a way to look it up, but I haven't received anything from them yet.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
GT Variator Dates

Any indication of the correlating year when engines numbers above that 148697 started ? Seems like 2011 or so ?
Just curious when Maserati fixed the variator problem and if it's safe to assume that all GTs after that year ( whether it's 2011 or 2012...) are unlikely to have this issue ?
QP5s assembled after September 2010 had the variator upgrade at the factory. This corresponds to the engine number mentioned in earlier posts.

I don't have data for the GTs.

KTBD

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called the Jacksonville dealer today to order some parts and they casually told me what my engine number was after giving them my VIN. My GTS is a 2010, and engine number was 157,404

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the Master Code Card that came with your Owner?s Manual. There should be a sticker on it with both VIN and Engine numbers on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you this is great info !

My 2006 Porsche 911 has an engine problem also ( intermediate shaft bearing failure ) which causes catastrophic engine failure it is limited to water cooled 911's .The failure rate was reduced in 2005 with a stronger bearing redesign and eliminated in 2009 with a major engine revision.
It only affects approx 5% of 2005 -2008 cars though so its rare . I guess no car is perfect !

I will look for 2011 and later GT's

Thank you Best ! Russ

1 - 20 of 38 Posts