Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
So now that gooey sticky coating is removed what do you think will happen? What was its purpose in the first place if not to protect the primary coating? How long will the, now exposed primary coating hold up. At the first signs of relapse, the For Sale signs come out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting questions you bring up. On the Maserati, the sticky coating appears to be for providing a sort of tactile/non-slip type feel, to the hard plastic button underneath. If it was solely to protect the plastic beneath, it fails miserably and quickly (5yrs). Especially on the Jaguar, it’s simply hard plastic underneath, which has fared excellent over the last 18months in Houston weather, likewise in the GTS(6months). If I ever decide to sell, it won’t be over sticky buttons, otherwise I would have gotten rid of our Range Rover or Ferrari a long time ago for more maddening issues. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,
I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to deal with sticky buttons but I wanted to share a fix found on YouTube. The video explained using Neutrogena makeup remover cleansing towelette. Tried it and it worked GREAT.
Hey all,
I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to deal with sticky buttons but I wanted to share a fix found on YouTube. The video explained using Neutrogena makeup remover cleansing towelette. Tried it and it worked GREAT.
Hi,
I just used a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and it took the sticky finish off. Now I have white buttons in the console. (2003 Spyder Cambiocorsa)

·
Registered
4 Posts
As in the alcohol bleached or removed the black color completely from the buttons?
The console buttons turned white. Note, they weren't bleached, the buttons were made of white plastic. The steering wheel areas remained black as did the vents and the speaker grill on the dash.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
113 Posts
My Alfa 8C only has a minor "sticky issue" with the electronic handbrake switch. Anyone know if the background of the button/switch is black or clear? I don't really want to start a cleaning process only to strip away all of the colour and be left with something that, although clean, looks a little bit weird...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may end up with the same solution you show here. The minute I rubbed hard enough to actually get all the goo off, so went all the black. So now I have a white/red hazard button. I found you can't wipe softly enough to get the goo off and keep any of the black. It's ALL become goo. So until I can find the time/money to send in all the buttons to have them reconditioned, I may go with your solution. At least I won't have to deal with the crud on my fingers. Like some have said, white buttons are not going to be the reason you can't sell one of these cars, but the black crap that comes off on your hands will. The wipes did work well on the vents and other surfaces which actually have black plastic under the soft touch rubber. But if they have white lettering, it can come off. (The center stack buttons have to be white for the night lighting to pass through the laser etching).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tried them on my '11 QP. Works great on buttons mediocre on stickiness of upper steering wheel shroud seemed like coating several times thicker on that part probably take multiple times or maybe a different product there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,
Yes ! I found also that purple power cleaner works !

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
113 Posts
Thanks Jason. It doesn't light up so I'm going to tentatively see if the Neutrogena wipe trick will be a success or not.

Side note: I sent the aircon controlls for my Ferrari 456 to Sticky NoMore in the States (no mean feat all the way from New Zealand) and they came back absolutely perfect. 10/10 would highly recommend.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My Alfa 8C only has a minor "sticky issue" with the electronic handbrake switch. Anyone know if the background of the button/switch is black or clear? I don't really want to start a cleaning process only to strip away all of the colour and be left with something that, although clean, looks a little bit weird...
We've done about 6 full 8C's - very detailed process as we have the exact silver metallic used on those.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks Jason. It doesn't light up so I'm going to tentatively see if the Neutrogena wipe trick will be a success or not.

Side note: I sent the aircon controlls for my Ferrari 456 to Sticky NoMore in the States (no mean feat all the way from New Zealand) and they came back absolutely perfect. 10/10 would highly recommend.
Just so you know, you received stickers on your parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may end up with the same solution you show here. The minute I rubbed hard enough to actually get all the goo off, so went all the black. So now I have a white/red hazard button. I found you can't wipe softly enough to get the goo off and keep any of the black. It's ALL become goo. So until I can find the time/money to send in all the buttons to have them reconditioned, I may go with your solution. At least I won't have to deal with the crud on my fingers. Like some have said, white buttons are not going to be the reason you can't sell one of these cars, but the black crap that comes off on your hands will. The wipes did work well on the vents and other surfaces which actually have black plastic under the soft touch rubber. But if they have white lettering, it can come off. (The center stack buttons have to be white for the night lighting to pass through the laser etching).
I had success using a Q-tip and witch hazel

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Tried them on my '11 QP. Works great on buttons mediocre on stickiness of upper steering wheel shroud seemed like coating several times thicker on that part probably take multiple times or maybe a different product there.
All - anhydrous isopropyl alcohol will remove goo including around the steering column. It is worth sending the switches away for reconditioning

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,780 Posts
I still think that humidity plays a significant role in combination with heat, but maybe some owners in the Southern states who don’t have any problems with sticky buttons might shoot my theory down.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts