Maserati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,039 Posts
I did purchase the shell so I can replace the old one that I have that is pretty beat up. Does anyone have any experience just swapping out shells? Any pitfalls or things I should be aware of when taking them apart?
Repairing Key

Does that help?

I have a shell I bought, and it seems no worse than the original, frankly. I've not had the nerve to start the process without having another working key, though.

Hopefully that will happen next week.

C

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a mobile locksmith locally in New Jersey, Payless Car Keys Corp, that provided an OEM fob, cut the blank, and programmed it at our location, for a fraction of the dealer price. He was efficient, punctual, and super quick. I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I found a mobile locksmith locally in New Jersey, Payless Car Keys Corp, that provided an OEM fob, cut the blank, and programmed it at our location, for a fraction of the dealer price. He was efficient, punctual, and super quick. I would highly recommend.
One post and you are recommending a locksmith? The car needs to be programmed a the dealer, so I think this is highly suspect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So... dealer quoted me $545 for the key plus 1 hr labor at $180.

One mobile locksmith wouldn't do it, another said they could do it with a Maserati OEM key for $350 or a Dodge key for $250.

I didn't take either up on their offers, so I'm just rolling around with a single key... dealer offered a $350 key replacement warranty, which I also turned down. Luckily our keys are up high and out of reach of our kids, so small chance of losing it (hopefully)...

·
Super Moderator
4,039 Posts
I post and you are recommending a locksmith? The car needs to be programmed a the dealer, so I think this is highly suspect.
Indeed, although if you assume it was the key that was programmed (i.e. the RFID chip from an existing, working key was copied) then it's more reasonable

C

21 - 27 of 27 Posts