Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
I did purchase the shell so I can replace the old one that I have that is pretty beat up. Does anyone have any experience just swapping out shells? Any pitfalls or things I should be aware of when taking them apart?
Repairing Key

Does that help?

I have a shell I bought, and it seems no worse than the original, frankly. I've not had the nerve to start the process without having another working key, though.

Hopefully that will happen next week.

C

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a mobile locksmith locally in New Jersey, Payless Car Keys Corp, that provided an OEM fob, cut the blank, and programmed it at our location, for a fraction of the dealer price. He was efficient, punctual, and super quick. I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found a mobile locksmith locally in New Jersey, Payless Car Keys Corp, that provided an OEM fob, cut the blank, and programmed it at our location, for a fraction of the dealer price. He was efficient, punctual, and super quick. I would highly recommend.
One post and you are recommending a locksmith? The car needs to be programmed a the dealer, so I think this is highly suspect.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So... dealer quoted me $545 for the key plus 1 hr labor at $180.

One mobile locksmith wouldn't do it, another said they could do it with a Maserati OEM key for $350 or a Dodge key for $250.

I didn't take either up on their offers, so I'm just rolling around with a single key... dealer offered a $350 key replacement warranty, which I also turned down. Luckily our keys are up high and out of reach of our kids, so small chance of losing it (hopefully)...

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
I post and you are recommending a locksmith? The car needs to be programmed a the dealer, so I think this is highly suspect.
Indeed, although if you assume it was the key that was programmed (i.e. the RFID chip from an existing, working key was copied) then it's more reasonable

C

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the dealership in South Florida is charging $650 ($485 parts + $165 labor to program key) for a new Maserati Key (I have a 2014 GTS) ...

Just wondering what are some of the prices (please include dealership location if possible) that everyone else is getting before I "invest" in a couple of new keys.

Thank you!

P.S. For all those who are having battery issues, Maserati is replacing the old lead-acid batteries with the new GlassMat (AGM) batteries. I had mine replaced a few months ago and have had zero issues since, even when leaving the car unused for 10 days with no trickle charger

👍

i have two key fobs for sale.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I paid about $250 to get a key replacement (2nd key) from this locksmith in Tempe, AZ
I reached out to them and they quoted $300 but it's only a key to unlock the door. No way to actually turn off the alarm... Unfortunately, you don't actually receive a fully functional 2nd key.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,308 Posts
I need a key for my 2014 Granturismo sport. the Buttons are struck. Not working correctly.
The buttons are stuck ? I presume you opened up the fob, cleaned all the contacts, ( also use a very thin sewing needle to gently run along the perimeter of the buttons just to make sure there is no gunk that got stuck in there ) and then looked to see exactly what happens when you press the buttons ...? Also there is a new battery in there, right ?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I’ve waited to add my comments on this subject, they are:

I’ve bought two pre owned Maseratis. In each case the first question I asked is does it have two keys? The second question was, does it have all the owners manuals? And lastly, does it have a spare tire (or inflation kit) and the factory tool kit.

In each case something was missing. My reply was “fix it or no deal”. They did and I never had to worry about any of that.

As for a second key, $550 is the going price for a new dealer coded key. Don’t even think of anything less or you may regret it more than not making sure you got two keys to start with.

Also keep in mind that when you sell this car you may have to spend money on something (the 2nd key) that never gave you that peace of mind while you owned it.

Reactions: SPR

·
Registered
2008 Maserati QP GTS
15 Posts
I recently bought a key fob on EBay for around $50 I had a local locksmith clone the key for $100. The remote part doesn't work at the moment but it will open the car via the blade and start the car.
He's says he needs to do a little research but thinks he can make the remote work too. But who knows....

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I recently bought a key fob on EBay for around $50 I had a local locksmith clone the key for $100. The remote part doesn't work at the moment but it will open the car via the blade and start the car.
He's says he needs to do a little research but thinks he can make the remote work too. But who knows....

Make sure to transfer this part to the new key...it's usually buried under a sealant/adhesive.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Tool Electric blue

·
Registered
450 Posts
Without that carefully pulled out chip, you essentially just have a way to unlock the driver side door. At no point will the key ever disable your alarm, turn on your car, etc...

Basically, that's a $150 jimmy that won't scratch your car when opening it.... but don't expect to be able to drive!

To obtain a 2nd, fully working key, you have to go to the dealer and expect to spend $650ish

·
Registered
2008 Maserati QP GTS
15 Posts
It does open the car via the blade and start the car just fine but the buttons on remote don't work. That little tube / chip is an ID48 transponder which can be cloned to match the working key.

By cloning the transponder the car thinks they are the same key.

He will figure out how to make the buttons on the remote work, it'll just take a little time.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts