Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dealership in South Florida is charging $650 ($485 parts + $165 labor to program key) for a new Maserati Key (I have a 2014 GTS) ...

Just wondering what are some of the prices (please include dealership location if possible) that everyone else is getting before I "invest" in a couple of new keys.

Thank you!

P.S. For all those who are having battery issues, Maserati is replacing the old lead-acid batteries with the new GlassMat (AGM) batteries. I had mine replaced a few months ago and have had zero issues since, even when leaving the car unused for 10 days with no trickle charger

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
I've not needed a new key but $165 to program the key strikes me as excessive. What is involved in this process?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Paid about 385 for the key and 75 for programming at continental autosports in IL.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
So it seems that the hardware cost varies quite a lot, and these are Maserati dealerships!

$75 for programming is more understandable, but then Continental has always been fair.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So the dealership in South Florida is charging $650 ($485 parts + $165 labor to program key) for a new Maserati Key (I have a 2014 GTS) ...

Just wondering what are some of the prices (please include dealership location if possible) that everyone else is getting before I "invest" in a couple of new keys.

Thank you!

P.S. For all those who are having battery issues, Maserati is replacing the old lead-acid batteries with the new GlassMat (AGM) batteries. I had mine replaced a few months ago and have had zero issues since, even when leaving the car unused for 10 days with no trickle charger

:thumbsup:

is the battery replacement a recall item?

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
$485 is quite a hefty price.
We charge $275 per key,
Thanks for the heads-up. One thing worth noting is that you're not a dealer (and can manage to charge lower prices, which is a good thing) and that's just the price of the key, not the programming. It would still need to be programmed at the dealership, no?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is the battery replacement a recall item?
I don't think its an official recall. I dont know about other dealers, but the dealer here in South Florida is replacing the factory lead-acid batteries with the new AGM batteries for GTs that are still under factory warranty. I believe you must also drive your car a certain minimum miles per month (I think its a few hundred miles per month, averaged over the life of the car) in order to qualify for this free replacement. I suppose this minimum mileage requirement is to avoid replacing batteries for customers who rarely use their vehicle.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
That indeed is just a key, we can't preprogram these so that will need to be done at your local dealership.
We're working on a revised web site so those aren't online yet.

But you can PM or E-mail me.
We can also supply the key's in real carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted a duplicate key and the dealer quoted me $290. Then I found a cheap Locksmith in Plantation that does car keys and he wanted $76 for a plain key or $152 for one with the remote locking on it. I purchased the plain key since I already had the key with the remote on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would this work?

Maybe a silly question here, but would the keys posted on eBay such as be a viable option?

Maserati Gran Turismo Quattroporte Flip Key Remote Fob FCC RX2TRF937 3 Button | eBay

Get it programmed at the dealer and if you want a bright new cover, simply purchase:

3 Button Remote Key Case Fob for Maserati Gran Turismo Quattroporte Uncut Blade | eBay

Forgive if a newbie question - this is my first posting, just got my first Maserati last week and learning about my car more in depth! Thanks for the great forum!

·
Registered
84 Posts
you'll need to get it cut and it's very hard to do. The ebay keys come as blanks. The dealer or large parts houses will sell you a cut key if you supply proof of ownership

·
Super Moderator
4,774 Posts
The first one appears to be a genuine key from another car so:
The blade won't open your door, it will need to replaced with an existing one, or re-cut
The buttons won't open your doors / trunk. That'll need to be coded to the car by, as far as I know, a dealer with the diagnostic kit.
The CODE chip won't be recognised by the ECU. Either you'll need to carefully extract one from your old key, or get the care programmed to recognise it. See the second point.

The second item is a shell. I have one for when I *finally* get my new key coded, I'll swap the transmitter, blade and CODE chip from my old and very battered key so I have two.

So it rather depends on how much effort you want to put in vs the 'approved' route.....

And welcome to the forum!

C

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'd thought the same thing: $100 for a pre-owned key to another car + $15 for a new blank and shell, all on eBay. swap the blank and chip, cut the key, then get the new key coded with the SD3.
haven't found that last part to be feasible though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd thought the same thing: $100 for a pre-owned key to another car + $15 for a new blank and shell, all on eBay. swap the blank and chip, cut the key, then get the new key coded with the SD3.
haven't found that last part to be feasible though.
AaronE - that is exactly what I was proposing, apologies if it was not clear. Let us know if you have any luck with the cutting and re-programming! I am really interested in finding out as I would like an extra key myself.

I did purchase the shell so I can replace the old one that I have that is pretty beat up. Does anyone have any experience just swapping out shells? Any pitfalls or things I should be aware of when taking them apart?

·
Registered
692 Posts
you were totally clear – I spaced out with a 4 month old screaming in my ear.

I don't have any plans to do it soon, especially since so far it seems like it won't work unless I build some relationship with a MD or independent with an SD3.

as for the cheap shells, they're crap. I bought one for my 3yo son last Christmas and even he complained that it was bad.

be very careful taking them apart – mine kinda exploded everywhere and was terrible to rewind the spring. and just to be clear, this is coming from someone who does my own major repairs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts