Maserati Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
ATF Refill procedure from Maserati ZF6HP26

https://www.thectsc.com/maserati-6hp...vel-procedures

I must be the exception because my Transmission Oil Pan does NOT look like this, a quick question for Auto Qp5 owners, does your pan look the one in the link ?
Do you have to be a member to access the link/page? Because its showing me its no longer working when i select anything in there. Even the link you provided. Best regards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've recently completed the transmission flush on a 2007 with the ZF transmission there is a lot of conflicting information regarding the procedure more so with the refill process here's what I learnt.

1. The QP's all come from factory with the metal pan not the plastic one that's available for the ZF transmission that are used on some of the BMW's and Jags.
2. The transmission is refilled from the base of the pan via the hex drain/fill plug 17mm you do not have to cut an 8mm allen keys to try and access the fill plug that sits next to the exhaust which is very difficult to access. Whilst you can refill from the 8mm fill plug why would you? The pan has an extended neck on it which allows you to refill while the engine is running.
3. Replace the connector sleeve which is has known issues and will leak over time, access is limited and pushing the new sleeve in took some effort the trick here was to apply even pressure to the sleve to get it seat correctly.
4. Use the ZF6 lifeguard fluid or equivalent spec'd oil took around 7 liters to refill to correct level. You're going to need a pump to pump the new fluid into the sump I used an electric oil pump which made the job so much easier I tried hand pump but this proved difficult and to use.
4. The fluid needs to measure at 40c-50c note once you hit 37c+ the temperature rises really quickly so ensure you have all the fluid you need on hand. Measure temperature with a digital infrared thermometer pointed at the pan.

Useful links

How to change connector sleeve

ZF 6HP26 Connector Sleeve and Oil Pan Service

Filter and Pan Gasket

300 137 0002 MEYLE Hydraulic filter kit, A/T fit

# MEYLE 300 137 0002 HYDRAULIC FILTER SET AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION | eBay

ATF Refill procedure from Maserati ZF6HP26

Maserati 6HP26 Transmission fluid level procedures: Genuine ZF Parts
Hello, My question is, How did you flush the atf? If its possible to explain please do. I worked on cars all my life except this one, So i shouldnt have a hard time catching on. Just main ideas. Like did you unscrew the oil filters line and let the old fluid drain and have the other tip dipped in fresh oil to make a flush? What about the converter? I heard it holds quite a bit of fluid in there too, How do you drain that? does it reach there through the oil cooler? Please explain just a bit. Im planning to bring it to a shop but im guessing they will just turn me around. How many quarts would i need to do a flush not just drain and fill. Any tips advice would help a ton. Because looks like ill be working in it my self. Thanks in advance! Best regards!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have to be a member to access the link/page? Because its showing me its no longer working when i select anything in there. Even the link you provided. Best regards.
This is from ZF Directly,

Hello, My question is, How did you flush the atf? If its possible to explain please do. I worked on cars all my life except this one, So i shouldnt have a hard time catching on. Just main ideas. Like did you unscrew the oil filters line and let the old fluid drain and have the other tip dipped in fresh oil to make a flush? What about the converter? I heard it holds quite a bit of fluid in there too, How do you drain that? does it reach there through the oil cooler? Please explain just a bit. Im planning to bring it to a shop but im guessing they will just turn me around. How many quarts would i need to do a flush not just drain and fill. Any tips advice would help a ton. Because looks like ill be working in it my self. Thanks in advance! Best regards!
This car is no different than any other, the fundamentals are the same. The only matter of discussion was filling thru the drain plug or filling thru the fill plug, the latter is the proper way, in fact I just did a second flush per ZF after 15k after the 70k initial flush. The transmission has never shifted better. You only drain about 6qts at a time thus the short 15k interval after the 70k. You do NOT drain from anywhere else, something about contaminants and air into the system per ZF, no FLUSHING THE SYSTEM, I spoke for over an hour with one of the Master Tech's at ZF. Only use ZF Lifeguard 6 Trans Fluid, I also use Lucas Trans Slip Fix because it works but that is my decision based on my experience with the product.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate, Cheers!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts