Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently completed the transmission flush on a 2007 with the ZF transmission there is a lot of conflicting information regarding the procedure more so with the refill process here's what I learnt.

1. The QP's all come from factory with the metal pan not the plastic one that's available for the ZF transmission that are used on some of the BMW's and Jags.
2. The transmission is refilled from the base of the pan via the hex drain/fill plug 17mm you do not have to cut an 8mm allen keys to try and access the fill plug that sits next to the exhaust which is very difficult to access. Whilst you can refill from the 8mm fill plug why would you? The pan has an extended neck on it which allows you to refill while the engine is running.
3. Replace the connector sleeve which is has known issues and will leak over time, access is limited and pushing the new sleeve in took some effort the trick here was to apply even pressure to the sleve to get it seat correctly.
4. Use the ZF6 lifeguard fluid or equivalent spec'd oil took around 7 liters to refill to correct level. You're going to need a pump to pump the new fluid into the sump I used an electric oil pump which made the job so much easier I tried hand pump but this proved difficult and to use.
4. The fluid needs to measure at 40c-50c note once you hit 37c+ the temperature rises really quickly so ensure you have all the fluid you need on hand. Measure temperature with a digital infrared thermometer pointed at the pan.

Useful links

How to change connector sleeve

https://www.newparts.com/articles/zf-6hp26-connector-sleeve-and-oil-pan-service

Filter and Pan Gasket

300 137 0002 MEYLE Hydraulic filter kit, A/T fit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-137-0002-MEYLE-Hydraulic-filter-kit-A-T-fit/391394754380?epid=249335279&hash=item5b20f1ff4c:g:doYAAOSwX9FZIYoR

ATF Refill procedure from Maserati ZF6HP26

https://www.thectsc.com/maserati-6hp26-transmission-fluid-level-procedures

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very nice write up. The links and part numbers are very helpful. This should definitely be in the DIY section too. Maybe you could copy and paste over there? Might be easier to find in the future in that section. I know I will look it up when I do mine in a year or two. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I thought the tranny fluid never needs to be changed

According to Maserati you are right. According to ZF you are not, and on the fora of other car brands that use the same gearbox, bmw, jaguar, you can read that a fluid change, especially coupled with the change of some rubber gaskets will prevent issues.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ralph_Manders has it exactly right! When the auto manufacturers say the transmission has a "lifetime fluid"...this really means the life of the warranty period, not the life of the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've recently completed the transmission flush on a 2007 with the ZF transmission there is a lot of conflicting information regarding the procedure more so with the refill process here's what I learnt.

1. The QP's all come from factory with the metal pan not the plastic one that's available for the ZF transmission that are used on some of the BMW's and Jags.
2. The transmission is refilled from the base of the pan via the hex drain/fill plug 17mm you do not have to cut an 8mm allen keys to try and access the fill plug that sits next to the exhaust which is very difficult to access. Whilst you can refill from the 8mm fill plug why would you? The pan has an extended neck on it which allows you to refill while the engine is running.
3. Replace the connector sleeve which is has known issues and will leak over time, access is limited and pushing the new sleeve in took some effort the trick here was to apply even pressure to the sleve to get it seat correctly.
4. Use the ZF6 lifeguard fluid or equivalent spec'd oil took around 7 liters to refill to correct level. You're going to need a pump to pump the new fluid into the sump I used an electric oil pump which made the job so much easier I tried hand pump but this proved difficult and to use.
4. The fluid needs to measure at 40c-50c note once you hit 37c+ the temperature rises really quickly so ensure you have all the fluid you need on hand. Measure temperature with a digital infrared thermometer pointed at the pan.

Useful links

https://www.newparts.com/articles/zf-6hp26-connector-sleeve-and-oil-pan-service

Filter and Pan Gasket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-137-0002-MEYLE-Hydraulic-filter-kit-A-T-fit/391394754380?epid=249335279&hash=item5b20f1ff4c:g:doYAAOSwX9FZIYoR

https://www.thectsc.com/maserati-6hp26-transmission-fluid-level-procedures

This link is the fill procedure for the BMW 6HP26x Transmission , I have the ZF book for all trans.

2. Im trying to figure out what trans you have as your referencing the x model, On our trans you have the Drain plug, and you have the 8mm fill plug, how are you filling from the drain plug ?

Why are you filling from there ? You need the fill plug open when you hit 45C (which per ZF is the ideal filling temp, per senior tech Jorg after a 2hr call) so is your fill plug open ? And if you dropped the exhaust to access the fill plug why not just fill there?

I put in service collars for easy access in the future. But normally you must drop from the header connector to the mid x pipe split.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ralph_Manders has it exactly right! When the auto manufacturers say the transmission has a "lifetime fluid"...this really means the life of the warranty period, not the life of the car.

Precisely, I called Maserati and told them they must want these transmissions to fail, why else would you say lifetime fill when transmission fluid deteriorates over time as do the seals that keep the fluid inside ? They had no comment. Italian engineering=beautiful junk. A quote from my engineering friend when I showed him that 2 more inches in the spare tire opening and you could get a full sized spare.

Maserati's are wonderful cars with beautiful styling and great heritage, but the service/parts pricing is a joke, $860 dollars for one key made of cheap plastic, it's insane I told them this and they said something about if you can't afford it yada yada, I told them I own six houses all over the world and could easily, but that doesn't change the fact that its a ripoff !!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This link is the fill procedure for the BMW 6HP26x Transmission , I have the ZF book for all trans.

2. Im trying to figure out what trans you have as your referencing the x model, On our trans you have the Drain plug, and you have the 8mm fill plug, how are you filling from the drain plug ?

Why are you filling from there ? You need the fill plug open when you hit 45C (which per ZF is the ideal filling temp, per senior tech Jorg after a 2hr call) so is your fill plug open ? And if you dropped the exhaust to access the fill plug why not just fill there?

I put in service collars for easy access in the future. But normally you must drop from the header connector to the mid x pipe split.

The link specifically states this is the transmission refill procedure for - Maserati 6HP26 Transmission the process works perfectly.

I've got the ZFHP26 transmission on a 2007 model.

The pan has a drain and fill plug, the 17mm hex fill plug will act as a drain with the engine turned off. You'll need to remove the 5mm hex plug to remove the last bit of fluid

Why drop the exhaust when there is a fill plug on the pan and yes you check fluid temp between 40-50 with engine running.

You can install connector sleeve without dropping anything access is very tight but doable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Precisely, I called Maserati and told them they must want these transmissions to fail, why else would you say lifetime fill when transmission fluid deteriorates over time as do the seals that keep the fluid inside ? They had no comment. Italian engineering=beautiful junk. A quote from my engineering friend when I showed him that 2 more inches in the spare tire opening and you could get a full sized spare.

Don’t blame the italians for this, even today most car makers claim lifetime fluid in the gearboxes even though there is enough proof that fluidchanges fix troubled gearboxes and prevent certain issues. Something to do with marketing I think. When I drove a volve with a tct gearbox, when I had issues volvo couldn’t fix it/figure out the problem. Took it to a knowledgable mechanic (happened to be a ford garage) and within 5 minutes he blamed the transmission oil being old and thus I had increased slippage of the clutch. Simple fluid change and all was OK.
Anyway, everytime I start the QP I start smiling and enjoying, so these few Italian flukes, I just learned to live with (and being owner of alfa’s, guzzi’s and ducati’s I got used to the Italian quirks and features).

4,007 Posts
The transmission is from Germany and used by a ton of manufactures..Maserati simply buys ZF transmsssions as does BMW, Land Rover, Aston, Ford, VW, Audi, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Bentley...Probably a few more phone calls need to be made...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Just like my stunningly gorgeous Italian and tempestuous mistress. It is all about love and despair.
I hear you... I'm the person who always has the best car on the block, making me broke. Years ago I lived in a mobile home park with my first Porsche 944. A few years later I lived in a modest house in a downtrodden neighborhood with my next Porsche (a 928 this time). Now I live in a bigger house on a nice tree-lined street in a middle-class neighborhood... with my Maserati. The only one in the whole neighborhood, of course, just like my 944 was the only Porsche in the whole trailer park. At least the neighbors are entertained.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is how my pan in my 2008 Auto QP5 looks, with the filler plug on the side and not below the drain plug as the previous link shows.

Attachments

4,007 Posts
There a few different versions of the 6HP....Jaguar and Land Rover use that black plastic pan with an integral filter...Aston and Maserati use the metal pan with a separate filter..The fill plug is at the rear RH side of the transmissions...Jason

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
For anyone interested in changing the transmission oil for the ZF 6 speed transmission, I have attached the .pdf document from ZF. They recommend the following:

ZF transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts

Useful links

ZF 6HP26 Connector Sleeve and Oil Pan Service

Filter and Pan Gasket

# MEYLE 300 137 0002 HYDRAULIC FILTER SET AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION | eBay

Maserati 6HP26 Transmission fluid level procedures: Genuine ZF Parts
I just wanted to thank you for writing this up for the community. Respect!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts