Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone recommend a scan tool to troubleshoot the ZF transmission? Or even comment on symptoms below?

My Car is a 2007 Auto. ~60k miles and I had transmission oil and filter changed after I got it (about 8 months ago)

Symptoms:
  1. Changes from 2nd to 3rd frequently give me an extra nudge in the back that's a bit disconcerting
  2. When stone cold, first few changes are quite lumpy.
  3. Sometimes revs don't climb in a linear fashion when in a high gear - to the point where it sounds/feels like something is slipping.
  4. I notice these symptoms in both Auto, Manual, Sport and Normal
I have purchased a second hand very low miles box to have on standby just in case but that's potentially a bit of a project as it's off a 4.7 and I'm not even 100% sure it's an option. (I'd rather take a chance on the box project than a multi-thousand Euro valve-body rebuild which may not even solve).

I'm happy to put a bit of money into diagnosis first so was wondering if any of those scan tools (e.g. Autel808 for ~€600) are particularly useful on the ZF transmission?

thanks for any thoughts
John

5,018 Posts
I'm not sure a scan tool is gonna help with any of that...Your just gonna be able to read the fault codes, but it doesn't sound like you are a getting a gearbox fault.. If it was slipping you would get a warning...Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car has a slip most noted as a throttle blip without depressing gas pedal shifting from 2nd to 3rd only noticed on first shift of 2nd to 3rd. Used to worry me like something was going to get worse or break but 60+k miles have gone and its basically unchanged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, understood, thanks.
In the last couple of says since I posted this I have noticed a few times while in manual mode the car has changed up un-commanded (well, un-commanded as far as I'm concerned). And it wasn't when at high revs to go to the next logical gear. On one occasion I was in 1st, changed to 2nd, gave it gas, nothing - I looked down and it was in 3rd. On another occasion similar behaviour, in 2nd, changed to 3rd, but it very quickly went to 4th.

Do the switches in the gear selector mechanism wear to the point where they can "bounce" and activate more than once?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and switching out the trans for the spare box I have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
re the Tranny replacement -
I presume I should keep the mechatronics bit from my car and put into the replacement box (to keep the computery bits honest)? I think I'd like to try switching the solenoids though. The replacement box is from a newer 4.7GTS. My car is 07

Am I into a world of pain in terms of how much I have to drop to get the tranny out (i.e. propshaft/diff/rear frame) or will the propshaft just slide away?
What are the dangers/risks of not balancing the propshaft?

Hard to get good info on the net as all "transmission replacement" assumes F1 box. ZFs not perfect either!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts