Maserati Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello, I am in need of a F1 Clutch replacement for my 06 Gransport. I live in northern California and have gotten a quote from the Sacramento dealer for $7500. The local reputable indi gave me a price of $6900. I understand the cost and factor that into cost ownership. However, I don't like to waste money if I do not have to. So on a whim I contacted Mark Douglas Motors in Orance County and they quoted me around $5k. At that price it is worth just shipping it down there and shipping it back or even driving the 600 miles back. I was wanting some advise. Also does anyone know where Eddie's shop is? I thought it was in Southern California but I cant seem to locate it. Also, has anyone heard of Raging Bull Motors in Costa Mesa? They said I don't have to get the fly wheel resurfaced, and the bearings are optional.

PLease advise.

I have heard of Raging Bull.

I would suggest my independent. Randy at RMT Motorsprts. Yorba Linda. Most honest guy in this business and takes care of my cars. He might not be cheapest, but you will get a quality job and communication all along the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love my 2009 GTS with F1 box...
Best sounding engine and works so well with the F1 on upshifts and downshifts, especially in sports mode, incredible sounds, blips, crackles etc.
The 2015 Sport with Auto ZF box made no such sounds in sport except on backing off gas around 3k rpm which was similar but muted compared to same in F1.
On the other hand when decelerating to a stop, downshifting manually with the F1 provides the most sexy, luscious, explosive, delicious sounds EVER!!!
I don't care if I have to pay $7k every 30k miles, it's so worth it...

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Love my 2009 GTS with F1 box...
Best sounding engine and works so well with the F1 on upshifts and downshifts, especially in sports mode, incredible sounds, blips, crackles etc.
The 2015 Sport with Auto ZF box made no such sounds in sport except on backing off gas around 3k rpm which was similar but muted compared to same in F1.
On the other hand when decelerating to a stop, downshifting manually with the F1 provides the most sexy, luscious, explosive, delicious sounds EVER!!!
I don't care if I have to pay $7k every 30k miles, it's so worth it...
If you're paying $7K for a clutch replacement you need to find a new shop....

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Best to call a shop in your area as the price can vary a good bit as what parts are being replaced...Sean has a QP so the price maybe a lot different for a GT...You need to compare apples to apples...Best guess more the 5K and less than 7K with normal parts replaced...J

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks to everyone that has participated in this discussion. I am pleased that it was of such interest, and am edified by all of the data and opinions shared. What the discussion meant to me was that I decided a GT with or without an F1 was not for me. I opted for the F1 in a GS coupe, for better hp/weight ratio. I am having some mods put on the GS, from FD, which are said to give more hp, and some others, springs and sways, for handling. I will leave that car at that. I am sure there are lovely things about the GT, but I have found that the smaller, more agile car is more to my liking. As to all of you with GTs, you have lovely rides, and perhaps my kidneys will envy yours after a while. PS I also bought at GS Spyder and of the two the coupe is my preference at the moment -- I need to go drive the Spyder some more after the exhaust mods are installed. I think my preference has to do with the longer wheelbase of the coupe.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has participated in this discussion. I am pleased that it was of such interest, and am edified by all of the data and opinions shared. What the discussion meant to me was that I decided a GT with or without an F1 was not for me. I opted for the F1 in a GS coupe, for better hp/weight ratio. I am having some mods put on the GS, from FD, which are said to give more hp, and some others, springs and sways, for handling. I will leave that car at that. I am sure there are lovely things about the GT, but I have found that the smaller, more agile car is more to my liking. As to all of you with GTs, you have lovely rides, and perhaps my kidneys will envy yours after a while. PS I also bought at GS Spyder and of the two the coupe is my preference at the moment -- I need to go drive the Spyder some more after the exhaust mods are installed. I think my preference has to do with the longer wheelbase of the coupe.
I almost bought a GranSport when I ended up getting my QP instead.... the dumb owner was insisting on too high of a price for it. It was a great car, though, for sure. I hope you didn't have to pay $30K for a GranSport with 30K miles on the original clutch.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have found pricing on both of the GS that I have bought, very realistic and quite reasonable. About 75% of the sellers are not really interested in selling, 25% are. Prepurchase inspections at non dealers are really informative at about $500 each, prepurchase inspections at dealers are not very helpful -- you need to communicate a lot and their checkists are moronic.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
You have really done your homework and legwork... I rushed into things too fast as usual. But I'm happy with my QP now that spent $$$ getting it where I want it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts