Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per some mentions on other threads, I've heard that the transmission shifting for the 2007 ZF Automatic was a bit punchy during takeoff (aka from a dead stop) as compared to other years. I've noticed this as well. The throttle seems sensitive leading to a jerky start.

It's been like this since i purchased the vehicle and I assumed was the nature of the transmission. I did read however that it changed in 2008.

Question is, does anyone know what exactly changed and whether or not a 2007 be upgraded for less twitchy takeoffs?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes it sure is, I want to test drive an 08 to see the difference myself. I had just accepted that was the way the car was but now I know differently. It seems it's either roll out with light pedal pressure until it shifts to second and then proceed, or make the jump to hyperspace when the light goes green, alarming all occupants and bystanders alike!

I'd love to know the change myself, the problem is who would know the changes or updates required and would it be possible to fix?

Off the top of my head I think it would most likely be one of these:
1. Throttle pedal sensor
2. Throttle body sensor
3. Torque converter
4. Transmission calibration
5. Computer programming (ecu or transmission)

I'm going to try pulling part numbers for comparison and maybe one of us should try emailing Maserati directly?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I read in the FD install instructions for the DBW that their "program 2" could be, instead of their default, something that a customer requests. Just sayin'.
KTBD

·
Registered
727 Posts
I read in the FD install instructions for the DBW that their "program 2" could be, instead of their default, something that a customer requests. Just sayin'.
KTBD
Thanks but if you need DBW assistance you should start your own thread. We are discussing an OEM hardware issue that only affects early 07 Automatica cars.

4,007 Posts
Stuff like that is generally gonna be fixed via software updates...Call your local dealer with your VIN# and see if there are updates available to address that..Most likely there is a update for the TCM...Jason

·
Registered
727 Posts
Stuff like that is generally gonna be fixed via software updates...Call your local dealer with your VIN# and see if there are updates available to address that..Most likely there is a update for the TCM...Jason
You think it might be that easy? I'm told that it was an issue they were aware of but no TSB was ever issued. I guess it's worth a shot to call first. Who do you recommend to call, not all dealers are created equal....

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Sorry, I think my post was too cryptic. It looks like the subject of this thread is driver experience of vehicle launch. When I recently added the DBW device, I noticed that my vehicle launch was dramatically different than before. Since the main thing the DBW affects is throttle response, it seemed to me that asking FD to consider developing for you a custom software program, taking your specific vehicle configuration into account as baseline, might be a workaround until you track down all the info and parts for a factory solution. If you already own a DBW, maybe it could be sent back to FD to install a different "Program 2" than what they routinely deliver. Good Luck! I'm off this thread now.

4,007 Posts
Joel, I would call a few different dealers in your area and ask cost to update ECM and TCM software to latest spec. I honestly don`t know a ton about software updates on these cars..We have a Leo and while it is a pretty decent product I don`t trust the software or the support to do stuff like that on these cars...You can open up a can of worms pretty quick.....Computers on a car don`t update like a Windows update...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Joel, I would call a few different dealers in your area and ask cost to update ECM and TCM software to latest spec. I honestly don`t know a ton about software updates on these cars..We have a Leo and while it is a pretty decent product I don`t trust the software or the support to do stuff like that on these cars...You can open up a can of worms pretty quick.....Computers on a car don`t update like a Windows update...
The problem is I dont trust these guys as far as I can throw them. I would pretty much guarantee that they will take my money, do nothing and shrug shoulders when it doesn't change anything. Right now I'm comparing part numbers of various things I would consider suspect for changing the behavior of the car. The throttle body is the same part number for all 4.2's. There are different numbers for the Ignition and timing control unit though so thats my first find. It would most likely be cheaper to swap out the suspected components rather than have a dealer look at it. I'll still make some calls but it wont be to a local, every story I hear about them confirms they are not real techs, just parts changers.

4,007 Posts
There is no timing control unit...There is an ECM...That handles engine management and there is a TCM for the transmission..You won`t be able to swap any of these items without the proper software...You`ll have a VIN mismatch or the car won`t start as the ECM won`t be configured to the security system...Sorry, I don`t want you to go buying stuff and get stuck with it..Honestly, you are gonna need the dealer here...It should not be that much to update software in both modules....Good luck...J

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The frustrating thing is that places like my local deal charge $138 just to plug the SD into the car. It just sucks to pay that much for them to say "you have the latest version, thanks for the money"

4,007 Posts
I hear ya..Good software is really expensive so the shops need to get return on their investment...Maybe just live with it until next time the car is needs to be diagnosed with scan tool then ask them to look.....J

·
Registered
727 Posts
There is no timing control unit...There is an ECM...That handles engine management and there is a TCM for the transmission..You won`t be able to swap any of these items without the proper software...You`ll have a VIN mismatch or the car won`t start as the ECM won`t be configured to the security system...Sorry, I don`t want you to go buying stuff and get stuck with it..Honestly, you are gonna need the dealer here...It should not be that much to update software in both modules....Good luck...J
That is the most solidly useful info I've ever gotten and I can't tell you how much I value that input. I tinker a lot with cars but I'm obviously out of my league with modern exotics(shocking....not!).

I got the part name direct from the parts site, that's what they call it at least, I figured you might know it better by it's given name. I may be able to get access to a scanner that can at least read the software version installed but I don't know if that will tell me anything. I purchased the car from the original owner and I have all paperwork, for sure nothing was ever flashed or updated, it's as delivered in that respect.

To start, I'll try the dealer it was originally purchased at since they at least made some money from it at some point. I'll also try emailing Maserati directly, they were very helpful in getting me production numbers that I was curious about. If I can determine there was/is some sort of update to be had, I can proceed with getting it done locally. Thanks Jason!

Joel

·
Registered
22 Posts
"As per some mentions on other threads, I've heard that the transmission shifting for the 2007 ZF Automatic was a bit punchy during takeoff (aka from a dead stop) as compared to other years. I've noticed this as well. The throttle seems sensitive leading to a jerky start."

I test drove a 2007 Automatic today and this is exactly how I would characterise the changes from dead stop. It was bordering on unpleasant and I have walked away from the deal for the moment until I get more info on this behaviour.
Emissions/tax laws here in Ireland make anything later than 2007 prohibitively expensive to run (for me at least) but I want an Auto so I may be stuck at 2007.
Is this the end of my QP dream or is there a solution/workaround to this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The best advice I can give you is get the ZF QP and drive a lot! You’ll get used to the gearbox and do not get startled when the car takes off a bit faster than anticipated which if not prepared leads to releasing the gas pedal which all leads to a jerky ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:) I like that advice - yep, I will see how another one I am looking at compares and take it from there.
Would using the ice program or MSP or whatever it is to only hook second be a stupid way to go?

Maybe I was all wrapped up in other unfavourable thoughts I was having about this particular car and I let it cloud my judgement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just use it in normal or sport mode. The ZF is a good reliable transmission, mine was serviced by ZF at 150.000 km and all was in very good order. Servicing made the box a bit smoother all around, but no huge difference, more a piece of mind and the feeling that the box is now good for at least another 100.000 km.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You do get used to it. I never pursued switching anything on mine in the long run. I think if you put the transmission in second gear then you get a smoother start but that would be annoying over the long run.

Another thing to note is that pulling the battery and losing the programming on the transmission seems to help as well. For whatever reason it smooths out response. Last tip would be to make sure that your heel is on the floor at the base of the pedal where it belongs, being that the pedal is hinged from the bottom it helps to modulate when your whole foot is on it and you're not pressing with your toes in the middle.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
This is slightly off-topic but just to illuminate just how much electronics can affect the shifting of a car, go find a clean Mercedes with an advertised "bad transmission," (they're all over the place) and drive it (ML, E, CLK, whatever). It will SLAM into gear, get stuck, buck and kick. Then make a $2500 low ball offer on the car and buy a $79 conductor plate from eBay. Spend 2 hours on R&R and re-sell your perfectly-driving benz for $7500, or drive it up to 300K miles as I am doing for the second time.

My point is you'll be surprised how much the software and programming of the electronics affect how the car shifts. What your gut tells you is a major mechanical failure typically turns out to be electronic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts