Maserati Forum banner

Yet another FD Springs thread

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  F1COUPE 
#1 ·
So I got my car back today from Universal Autosports with FD springs, 15mm spacers, FD street brake pads and a new clutch installed. Already had the FD DBW, and air filter. Took it out on some local roads, then the highway. The car is now awesome! Handles like its on rails. Ride is firmer but not harsh. Ran it up to 120 on the highway and felt totally secure. Steering feels more direct, but that is the springs- the suspension is not as mushy. This is now a Ferrari in Maserati clothing. As said in other posts- this is the way the car should have come from the factory. Hats off to Jeff at FD. Also to Kent at UA. He said this is his 11th FD spring install and he has it down pat. Only lowered 1/2" as he feels this is the best set up for performance but without making the ride too harsh.

Upside- now its a real sports car with sports car handling
Downside- ride is a bit tough on bad roads but not jarring. has lost some of the mushiness that a commuter would prefer. I'd take this ride any day except if I'm doing daily drives over lousy roads.

Taking the car to Lime Rock in 2 weeks with some new Toyo Poxes R888's *10s which arrived today. Will post my take on the combo. I expect it will be a whole new level of handling after last year on the track with the stock suspension and street shoes.

See less See more
#4 ·
Doug - you're going to love them on the track. I remember last year up at Pocono you were rolling real bad in the infield. Lime Rock? Dude - awesome! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Skyhook

It does not effect the skyhook. FD makes sprins for either suspension setup.

As for Pocono- I saw some of those photos and my car looked like it was just rocking and rolling. A bit embarrassing if you ask me. After all it is a Maserati...Now It'll be a whole different ballgame out there. Vincenzo, we'll sail around the track together this time. See you in PA

#6 ·
Vincenzo, we'll sail around the track together this time. See you in PA
I can't wait.....some of the best times I've ever had just hanging out with the fellow Maser 'buds. I'm going to judge the Maserati class this year and am hoping to get some sort of wine/cheese/beer social going on in the tent at the Concourso event.

#7 ·
Sprocket - Charlie from UA picked up my car after they dropped yours in Mt. Kisco. Congrats on the springs - it's a huge improvement. I agree, Kent, Anthony and the UA team are the best!

Enjoy!

#9 ·
You've already got all the toys. What are they doing for you- service? Oh, did I mention, they did a great job w the clutch- the car shifts much better than since I bought it. I agree, UA is the place to go in the NY area. Great car service and great customer service.

#12 ·
Actually, it's a crazy story. I took my car out last Sunday for the first time this season. I was going 25 mph when the bolt that connects the suspension to the driver's side rear shock sheared off! I thought I got a flat tire but nope... I got the car flat-bedded home and UA picked it up a few days later. THANKFULLY, there was absolutely no damage to the car other than a small ding on the bottom of my exhaust pipe. I feel very luck both me and the car are fine! Kent said there was no explanation for the bolt failure. I had him replace the other three corners, replace all fluids, clean/replace filters and do an oil change. They also raised my rear springs 3/8 of an inch b/c the tires occasionally rubbed. Next time you have the chance, take a look at the condition of your bolts! As a matter of fact, maybe everyone should think about replacing them as a standard when your car gets to be about 5 years old. It's inexpensive and although I've never heard of this issue, it only takes one occasion to end up in a very bad situation.

As for toys, I'd love the DBW, Brembo brake kit, Sway bars and a few other items but not sure I'm doing any of them this year. If I ultimately decide to keep the car for a long time (I think I'll know after this year), I will probably do these mods too.

I'm 15 minutes away from you - we should organize a drive sometime soon.

#8 ·
Sway bars

So the plan is to spend a few days on the track in April/May- Lime Rock and Monticello with the SCDA and then of course Le Belle... Then try to figure out if this setup is good enough or do I add the sway bars. Recent posts seem to love them. As I'm only lowered 1/2" there still plenty of room for movement.

Vicenz-my car won't win any prizes for beauty but perhaps I can get the booby prize for insane audio system. Now I'm designing a rack that sits over the trunk to carry a spare set of track wheels. Hope to have it by Le Belle time.

My biggest problem now is trying to keep the car under 100

#11 ·
Lime Rock April 12

I'm going to Lime Rock on April 12. If you're interested go to the SCDA web site, I think its www.scda1.com and register. If you mention me (Doug Hertz) they will give both of us a $50 credit towards another event. I personally like them a lot- good company, knowledgeable drivers and instructors and great tracks. We go to Monticello 3 times this year and the track is incomparable.
Hope to see you then.
Sprocket (Doug)

#13 ·
Bear Mountain Ride-

Hey NZW, Sprocket- You guys are up in westchester right? I'm up that ways some weekends, we could always do Route 6 going up Bear mountain, what a great drive. Would be nice sometime. Usually I'll meet with Bluyork, and planned to meet with F1Coupe, and and some of the other guys out here in Long Island this weekend but my cars are in the shop. Would be nice to all meet up. Maybe we should meet in little italy one fine saturday or sunday afternoon to Mangia.

#20 ·
Hey NZW, Sprocket- You guys are up in westchester right? I'm up that ways some weekends, we could always do Route 6 going up Bear mountain, what a great drive. Would be nice sometime. Usually I'll meet with Bluyork, and planned to meet with F1Coupe, and and some of the other guys out here in Long Island this weekend but my cars are in the shop. Would be nice to all meet up. Maybe we should meet in little italy one fine saturday or sunday afternoon to Mangia.
George, it's no longer little Italy....:) Little Chinese Italy is more likely. Count me in, we'll go visit uncle 'Vinny the Fish"

#14 ·
Ride

That would be great. My son is doing varsity baseball so my time is limited but if I can fit it in, I will. Was driving this morning on the Bronx River Parkway and was side to side with a beautiful black Mas coupe. Was that one of us? Beautiful car.

#15 ·
I would love to do it soon. We've been talking about it since last year. I'm in NYC 5 days a week but live in Westchester. I should have my car back from UA sometime this week. Let's pick a weekend soon and head up to Bear Mountain!

#17 ·
Rarely, because it's inconvenient, likely to crack a Gransport wheel (seriously!) and parking her in a garage always upsets me. I have three cars in Westchester and another in Manhattan so it's really unnecessary.

I barely drove my car last year so I'm looking to get much more seat time this season. Between work and my son, I don't have very much free time but let me know when you'd like to go!

#19 ·
Doug, I saw your car while I was at UA.... Looking good.
It must be fun driving a stick....
I also had springs, antisway, etc. added. I'm very impressed with the handling. You're right, it feels like the car is guided by rails. I call it Rail-riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.