Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up folks. this is my first post. I must say this forum is extremely helpful. I'm currently in the process of leaving my E46 M3 (6MT) for an 05-06 Coupe (vintage package) or Gransport..and this forum has been my bible.. however, i can't seem to find any info on:

why the F1 pump fails.. what exactly happens when it does fail. Does it NOT shift at all or does it go into "limp" mode? Are there warning signs before it fails?

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be left stranded (ie. standing next to a busted a$$ Maserati on the shoulder for everyone to see/laugh)..:mad:

the factor warranty should cover the pump failure (every 20,000ish miles?).. so if i can find an extended warranty, i might be ok?

I would LOVE to have the 6 speed (even with the rough first to second shift), but I'm slowly realizing (yet still in denial) that i won't be able to find one..I know the GS only comes in the cambio..

Thanks!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
When the f1 pump fails, it often just quits and you cannot drive the car.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you do have to replace it, the newer style pump should last longer.

You can't drive around worrying all the time. The CC is great fun in GS cars - most of the benefits of a manual with most of the ease of an automatic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow... so everyone here that has had their F1 pump fail has been left stranded?

Hmmm... very discouraging..

I know the newer (05 and newer) supposedly have a better F1 pump, but either way, it sounds like it WILL eventually fail @ some point.. maybe just not as often..
I def do not mind the maint. cost, but to have the car quit while driving (multiple times)??
would I have to prophylatically replace the F1 every 20,000 miles then to prevent that from happening? Does anyone here actually do that?

maybe i'll just keep on looking for the 6mt. the way I look @ it.. Maseratis are rare enough already.. if i have a 6MT, I'll really be "special" :cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
What causes the F1 Pump to fail? Let's see when you mix Italian hydraulics with Italian electrics... actually, I don't believe the F1 pump fails as often as this message board perceives. Sometime when I'm bored, I'll go through the posts and try to determine the failure rate/per miles. Or not.

If the pump is going to go, it usually goes early under warranty. Otherwise, it usually doesn't happen till down the road, for example, I believe KBrookings hasn't changed his F1 pump on his 85K QP. Nomorejags did a great DIY on changing his pump ...at about 75K miles.

While I can understand the concern because it seems like alien technology as compared to lesser cars (and its Italian, sigh); indeed, there has even been an F1 pump changed by a poster concerned about preventive maintenance, but how can you count that as a "failure". So, I am not losing any sleep over it.

Not sure where the 20K miles data point came from - that number is derived more from a general-rule-of-thumb guessimate of about how many miles the clutch will last for maintenance budgetary purposes.

And wrt the clutch topic, a couple of folks finally came out of the closet and admitted that their 6MT clutches were replaced before the 20K "threshold" - which tends to match the F360 experiences wrt to 6MT and F1s.

6MT or CC, it doesn't matter, you are just not going to get 100K out of these clutches like a Honda/Toyota (or BMW :) ) - and IMO thank goodness for that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My 06 GS has been very, very reliable.

Look at it this way: you could buy an out-of-warranty Mercedes instead and have the same possibility for expensive repairs as the Maserati (or maybe worse in my experience). But you'd then be an ordinary guy driving a boring car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What's up folks. this is my first post.
Welcome. It's very informative here and a few folks have a good sense of humor!!!

however, i can't seem to find any info on:

why the F1 pump fails..
Because it's Italian and a poor design!

---what exactly happens when it does fail.
You are definitely SOL!

---Does it NOT shift at all or does it go into "limp" mode? Are there warning signs before it fails?
You will go into "limp" mode before it does!

Actually the first warning sign should come up just as you purchase the car!

The wizards here can tell you about actual warning signs, though.

--- I'm just wondering if I'm going to be left stranded (ie. standing next to a busted a$$ Maserati on the shoulder for everyone to see/laugh)..:mad:
Answer: a definite yes

---the factorory warranty should cover the pump failure (every 20,000ish miles?).. so if i can find an extended warranty, i might be ok?
No factory warranty to cover the pump at this point. How else do you think they keep their service departments busy?

The wizards here will fill you in on the rest.

I just covered the preliminaries!!

Good luck but if you can find a 6 speed manual!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think the F1 pump is actually manufactured by Denso.

If I remember right I have seen Denso on the side of a few of the F1 pumps, including my own...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just going through this as we speak, just taken the pump out and have it in with a local re-manufacture components shop, they giving 20 hours free bench time to assertain whether its worth them including it as one of their ongoing lines ,eg starters/alternators and a/con pumps im due to get a report by the end of this week and hopefully the pump back all fixed. We were provisionally talking at around the £130 for an exchange unit , with a 12 month warranty

i'll keep you all in the loop soon as

1 - 8 of 8 Posts