Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but I am considering selling my 05 gransport for a used 911 C4S (997 version) with lots of warranty remaining. While I have lots of miles left on the GS warranty, the maximum years runs out this December. The strategy is to drive the 911 for a couple of years and when that warranty runs out, look for a used GranTurismo S on the market with low miles...

Every time I drive the GS, I say to myself, "am I crazy?"

Every time it is in the shop (and never in for less than a day), I say, "do it"

Words of wisdom or experience, either with the 911 or GS after the warranty is up, would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't do as I do...do as I say!

It's a tough one Robert. I owned and ran a 996 C4S for a couple of years and loved it. I've driven the 997 and it felt a bit sanitised to me although every report suggests they are 20% 'better' than the 996 in just about every area.
I have driven but never 'lived with' the GS but it felt so much more alive than the Porsche...to me anyway. I like the feeling of being In it and being a part of what is going on with the car, as in the GS, rather than simply being On it while it gets on with the job whether you are there or not as with the 997. Although truth be told I expect the Posche could do even better without my input :)
My feeling would be to stick with the GS in terms of the pure pleasure of ownership but I appreciate there are many other issues involved in the decision, not least the depreciation and servicing.
For the record; I bottled it after 1 year with my QP for the same reasons given above.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Having owned two 911's I would not buy another after the GS. It is not that it is a better car, I feel that the Porsche handles better, but the overall package that the Maserati brings is so hard to beat.

In the end it is down to personal choice, but you maybe disappointed in the 997, personally if I was to get back in a Porsche it would be the 993!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went from a 06 Carrera S to my 04 CC, and would never go back. The looks, the sound, the drive of the CC are far superior to that of the Porsche. My porsche was also in the shop 5 times in 10 months, my CC has not been in the shop a single time in 14 months.

Eric

·
Registered
250 Posts
going the other way

I'm looking to change from a 96 993 carrera 4 to a QP. Have driven Porsches for 15yrs, and teh 993 is the best for the driving experience overall.

but am close to going the other way, but am nervous about servicing the Maser. For the record, my Porsches have been the cheapest cars I've ever ownde, bumper-to-bumper including the low, low depreciation

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have found that 997s are a little anitseptic for my taste, it makes a great summer daily for my mother but I just cant get excited driving it, I find the 930 and 993 to be my versions of a true drivers porsche

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have found that 997s are a little anitseptic for my taste, it makes a great summer daily for my mother but I just cant get excited driving it, I find the 930 and 993 to be my versions of a true drivers porsche

I couldn't agree more, I love my Maserati so much more than my 997S.

Eric

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Having owned two 911's I would not buy another after the GS. It is not that it is a better car, I feel that the Porsche handles better, but the overall package that the Maserati brings is so hard to beat.

In the end it is down to personal choice, but you maybe disappointed in the 997, personally if I was to get back in a Porsche it would be the 993!
We're on the same page - although I may go early 996 over 993 - the 996's are a bargain and currently less than 993's

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Honestly, I don't understand what's the big deal about warranty. I've had my GS for almost 6 months, and when it needed service almost nothing was covered under the warranty. I was told by Auto Gallery's service manager not to expect much from the Maserati's warranty... Not like a BMW, for sure.

My warranty expires next November, and I don't care anymore.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've owned a 996 Coupe since 2001, and have had other Porsches in years past. The car is relaiable, easy and quick to fix just about any issue and is about as close to perfect as a stock sports car can be. I bought my QP in December (an 05 model with less than a year of warranty left), and it has been in the dealer's garage more than mine (truly), the last time for four weeks as we awaited parts from Italy, etc., and it's still not fixed. When the car is out of service, I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of it. Then they bring it back to me, I drive it and remember how stunning the car is. No my Maserati doesn't have the teutonic perfection that Porsches possess, but damn does it get my blood pumping.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Honestly, I don't understand what's the big deal about warranty. I've had my GS for almost 6 months, and when it needed service almost nothing was covered under the warranty. I was told by Auto Gallery's service manager not to expect much from the Maserati's warranty... Not like a BMW, for sure.

My warranty expires next November, and I don't care anymore.
Del... You should stay clear of TAG... Go to FMOC...

They do it all under warranty :]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know that Ali aka Maseratiboy likes FMOC, but I wasn't so impressed. They're the ones that have had my car for more than two months, and when they gave it back after having it for one month, it was in worse shape than when I left it with them. It was better when I got it back after they had it for a second month, but still not what I expected.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Words of wisdom or experience, either with the 911 or GS after the warranty is up, would be helpful.
With gas around $4.00/gallon you'd have two fewer cylinders to feed in the Porsche!

How really important is warranty? One gets to the point with car ownership where there is no warranty.

So, we all get there sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Del... You should stay clear of TAG... Go to FMOC...

They do it all under warranty :]

I should have listened to you, but I was too lazy to drive to OC. I'm planning to get some other issues fixed hopefully under warranty in the next few months, before the warranty expires, and I'm considering going to OC this time.

By the way, talking about laziness, I think I'm not going to the ride tomorrow... I've been getting up early every day this past week, and can't see myself in Valencia at 8 am... But, Ali, I REALLY want to see/hear your car!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback

This has all been very helpful. There is no comparison in terms of engine sound and pure power, not to mention the panache of the GS. There are tons of 911s in my neighborhood, but I have not seen another GS on the road, and I live down the street from a Ferrari/Maserati dealership. I am going to keep the GS for now (it is summer time you know), and enjoy it until it really pisses me off...

RP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts