Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on the board for about a week educating myself on the Maserati. Looking at a 2004 with 11900 miles on it - commercial lease. Has some front clip paint issues (some people just don't clean bugs they way the should), some tiny chips in the interior on the plate on the door and the center counsel metal plate (looks like someone didn't know how to take it out and chipped it). :) Drove it and seemed to drive ok. Noticed in auto mode some hesitation off the line. In manual mode, no problems with the paddles. Also, when the sales person was ever so slowly backing this baby out of the showroom, the wheels kept slipping and spinning and long story short, I could smell clutch by the time he exited the building. With 11.9 on the clock is clutch a concern here? Called the central FL dealer and they will do a PPI for $800. Pads seemed ok, maybe about a bit over 3/8", and no wobble on braking - so rotors are hopefully not warped.

Do you think it's worth the $800 to have it checked by the dealer? Problem, of course, is it is out warranty and obviously any other issues discovered would give me further leverage. Spoke to the dealer who serviced it - Virginia - and last service was 12/06 at 9200 miles. Apparently it was a 4 year lease and sold at auction in PA b/f making the journey to here in FL. Thoughts, input, steering??

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
$800 is very cheap insurance given what repairs could cost you. A PPI may also give you leverage in negotiating a better price if need be.

There is a list on the board of items you should check before you buy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, especially since it's out of warranty. Did the go through from the list, but bigger ticket items are still an unknown - is the slippage/sluggish start the F1 pump/relay? Is the clutch still viable? Probably should have it flat bedded to the dealer for a check up.

·
5,887 Posts
Getting a proper PPI and service records is important. As a part of the PPI, the dealer should be able to give you an estimate on remaining clutch life. While the clutch life estimates are notoriously inaccurate, any info you get will be better than nothing.

It seems like most CC clutches are good for 18K-22K miles. The clutch in my car had to be replaced at 13K miles.

How do the service records look?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean records serviced regularly until 12/06 at 9200 miles. No service since then and about 2500 miles on her since then. Recall work all done as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
At 12K miles it is also worth checking the wear on the tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires are blown. Just have to figure out what to replace with. Wanted INVO's but mismatched size, won't work. THe 555's are pretty highly rated, but I may end up with Goodyear F1's b/f it is over with.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
555's

I like my 555's.. they work great!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
PPI is a must, but $800 is too much. When I bought my car last November the dealer in TX charged me $500.

But still, if it's the only dealer around, go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were in S. Florida, they have at least three...unfortunately, no choice locally in Orlando.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normal service intervals, except none since 12/06 at 9200 miles. Recalls all done. No major non-service repairs - ie, F1 pumps, relay, etc.

·
5,887 Posts
Normal service intervals, except none since 12/06 at 9200 miles. Recalls all done. No major non-service repairs - ie, F1 pumps, relay, etc.
Seems a little strange. Almost all cars, Maserati or otherwise, have at least some issues fixed under warranty. If the only records are from service intervals only, you may be missing part of the picture.

If you haven't already, you may want to have a Maserati dealer run the VIN to see if any other repairs have been made at authorized dealerships.

If the center console looks like it has been removed and there is no record of associated repairs, it could be a red flag.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I do no remember the VA dealer mentioning something about replacing a climate control switch. Other than that, that's all the VA dealer did to it, other than service.

At $800, I'll bite the bullet to have her put on the lift and gone through, especially given the price of some items out of warranty that are known issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
last year when I purchased my 2004, I called MNA with the VIN a nd they let me know when the car was in for warranty work. They did not tell me what it was in for, but they did know the date and mileage at the time of repair.
There are plenty of good cars out there if you look hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts