Maserati Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts
3,462 Posts
That is because they are long and inefficient regarding something like this...Simple questions to ask here...1.) What exactly isn't matching or aligning in auto tech. terms.... 2.) Why are the bolts out of the front pump of the transmission? Ask them those questions and just post what they say 1 and 2...J

·
Registered
555 Posts
why are the bolts out of the front pump is a secondary question to why is the torque converter off the input shaft at all?
i've not had to replace an F136 engine, but i've had em out and i have replaced/removed&reinstalled some transmissions... the torque converter stays on the trans.
now i have to venture a guess that the torque converter came off unintentionally and they might have tried to pull the pump off to the replace the seal before refitting the torque converter?

3,462 Posts
I actually watched the video..They have the transmission on the floor with the converter in it at one point.. I can't help but think they didn't push the converter forward and tried to pull it forward with the bolt or something possibly damaged the converter....Like you I go out of my way to make sure the converter stay in let alone fully remove it...Something looks suspect...I have a ZF6hp on the ground out of a Jag...The seal pops right out with no pump removal..J

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Sweet Jesus..It sounds like a heart transplant is taking place here...You unbolt stuff and simply install the new engine....1.5 weeks to do a 20 hour job? Break-in is a check for leaks and about a 10 mile test drive and check for faults in ECM...Guys replace car engines daily..No biggie..BTW... That job is cupcake...fully dressed engine in a RWD car...Plug and play...Jason
Well, I guess this is true only if you know what you're doing .. And so much for my presumption that the two mechanics who worked on Maseratis before should also have no problem replacing an engine, in spite of not having done that particular job in the past. Disappointing to hear the transmission link fiasco .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well, I guess this is true only if you know what you're doing .. And so much for my presumption that the two mechanics who worked on Maseratis before should also have no problem replacing an engine, in spite of not having done that particular job in the past. Disappointing to hear the transmission link fiasco .
ehh "worked on maserati before..." realistically, a car is a car. working on cars for a bit of time, and engine r&r is just an engine after all. we're back to rocket surgery on that one. for reference, my first engine replacement was at about 2 years out of school and about that much experience. my first variators/timing on an F136 was about 8 months out of school. sink or swim.
i'm eager to hear the responses to jason's questions of the fella to the shop/foreman as to what went wrong. on a professional level, it is an easy job. rebuilding would be rocket surgery by comparison. there are merely steps to follow, and a moment of carelessness or neglect, a moment of the universe deciding to strike you down can also all of the sudden have bad things happen.
like jason said, if they didn't slide the torque converter up the quarter to half inch to contact the flex plate and used the bolts to pull it up, could have cocked something.
but OP said he was told it started right up, so the trans was in already at some point, likelay.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't believe they even let a customer in the shop to take pictures and YouTube videos. I bet they will soon have a new policy about that.

So strange that it was running and now the tranny is out with the front pump bolts out... what ever the reason it cant be good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
@sc00b and @Jason: Appreciate the input. The contrast between experts vs consumers are very eye opening and helpful. You’re right it’s just a car but again haven’t really had time to enjoy it. Life goes on and my $8k monthly mortgage payment is due next week.
What burns my chops is that the weather in San Francisco has been perfect the last 2 months ideal for driving a car like the GranTurmiso.
I’m at the point where I’m not counting on a schedule but more on them getting it right, no matter if there are delays. I’m going to inquire on how my warranty moving forward and buying an extended warranty will work once the car is returned to me.

FYI: I have been told a number of times not to go into the shop area.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My "take away" from all this is DAMN!!!!! 8K, maaaaan Cali is killing them pockets o_O
A condo and a beach house and i don't give up that kind of cheddar, west cooooooaassst :cool:

3,462 Posts
Did you ever ask them why the bolts are out of the front pump of the transmission? I would say they didn't get the torque converter back all the way back and had a bad bind during installation or pulled it up by the bolts and cocked it and cracked the snout...They took the front pump apart to check for damage...You are now waiting on a new torque converter is my guess, but something is fishy here. I know because I used to do stuff like this like 30 years ago when I was a teenager and first started working on cars...Jason

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used to have a dealership. General Motors. Hired and fired mechanics. The problem is that there is a very real shortage of qualified mechanics. A pubic relations nightmare is that incompetent mechanic that you hire, screws up a customer's car. It happens, it happens a lot.

Overall, independent mechanics tend to be a bit worse, but that's mostly because they are working on GM, Ford, Mopar, VW, Toyota, Honda, etc. and there is no way they can .be competent on all.

My advice is to find a very good wrench and stick with him (her?). Could be at a dealer, could be an independent. I had a guy that serviced my old 308 in Portland. He was in a building in an industrial district. No signs at all on the outside of his building. Very discreet. And you had to have an intro to go in. But he was excellent, and very reasonably priced. Used to call me at home to ask how the car was doing. His customer's cars were like his own children. God help you if you considered modifying it.

He passed away a few years ago, and I really miss him.

Hans.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hope they have your car in a fireproof garage the way things are going out there. Sooner or later all these fires are going to open the eyes of the real estate community!

101 - 120 of 155 Posts