Maserati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts
2,954 Posts
No worries..I get how that looks all crazy and odd to a normal person to have a car apart like that if you don't do it daily ...It is really not that big of deal...It is basically unbolting stuff and unplugging stuff..There is odd and crazy stuff on cars these days and it usually involves electronics and modules...Stuff you can't physically see what is going on or makes no sense....That is not the case here...Jason

·
Registered
177 Posts
In the long run, you have a REAL Keeper!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
@ddsski you’re absolutely correct, and I plan to beat the Hell out of the new motor!
New UTub video posted showing the old motor out and other interesting aspects of the car dis-assembled.

@Jason FYI the video is long but gives clear view of otherwise rarely seen guts if the cars.

2,954 Posts
@ddsski you’re absolutely correct, and I plan to beat the Hell out of the new motor!
New UTub video posted showing the old motor out and other interesting aspects of the car dis-assembled.

@Jason FYI the video is long but gives clear view of otherwise rarely seen guts if the cars.
Thanks...I see them daily...:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
No worries..I get how that looks all crazy and odd to a normal person to have a car apart like that if you don't do it daily ...It is really not that big of deal...It is basically unbolting stuff and unplugging stuff..There is odd and crazy stuff on cars these days and it usually involves electronics and modules...Stuff you can't physically see what is going on or makes no sense....That is not the case here...Jason
When I started DIY on my cars, I first thought hey how hard can this be, it's just unbolting stuff..why pay the mechanic..then spent an ungodly amount of time banging off one wheel bearing that needed replacement, ended up having to use an air chisel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I started DIY on my cars, I first thought hey how hard can this be, it's just unbolting stuff..why pay the mechanic..then spent an ungodly amount of time banging off one wheel bearing that needed replacement, ended up having to use an air chisel.
what is unfortunate is that is not abnormal for some makes. rust never sleeps, and the eternal bond that metals can form with each other.... super glue knows nothing about rust adhesion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I’ve been there and I feel I’m a pretty good wrencher but still a DIY. I believe the intent is able to wrench on your car or project and the results are perfect, NOPE! and time pressures, wife, kids and life get in the way. For me 50% of the time it’s a rush job.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You think the job is going well, and then there is that one stripped screw, that one bolt that won't come off, the one socket that has vaporized from existance, the one jerk who didn't use antiseize and now your rotor is fused on...I honestly don't know how mechanics budget time for money.

·
Registered
507 Posts
at customer pay levels, if rust is excessive and known, it gets built in as a heads up. often times, on my end, it is more of a disclaimer and a "can cost more hours for the job" for the customer to approve upfront.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Update:
Oct 11-Parts arrived from Italy.
After further investigation of the new crate motor from Italy they discovered a couple of issues.
1. The motor must have shifted when transported.
2. The shifting caused the oil filter to dent,
3. and the oil pan had deep scratches.
4. One of the harnesses caused scratching (red paint) on the left valve cover.

The dealership put in another claim ticket to track the issues. I’m extremely happy that the dealership is taking into account even the smallest scratch to the motor, since this is a brand new Ferrari crate motor I would expect nothing less then brand new when I get my car back. Although some parts are in stock or in California, the new ETA will add another +week.

The funny thing is the original warranty expires on December 14, and I’ve already planned to buy the extended warranty for $5200. It just sucks! that I’m missing +4 weeks not driving a car I’ve owned/drove for less then 3 months.

Will post a video when I get a chance.
37963746-03C7-492A-8390-1EEBD1DB6B69.jpeg
C7A0595F-ED47-46B4-909A-9A22CD3893C4.jpeg
0CA13A0B-B28F-4453-8AEF-ADA038473496.jpeg
CA74B5BC-B048-495A-B812-803FE3CE546F.jpeg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Update 10/15:
Talked with Maserati and they have been corresponding with Maserati USA. They feel that all damaged parts including the wire harness needs to be replaced. All parts are readily available, except for the valve cover and harness. This could take up to 2 weeks to get. My car has been virtually sitting for 6.5 weeks.

Bets on whether or not my battery will need to be replaced? And will I be charged for a new battery?

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Battery

Not sure. Perhaps if we had more info?

Could you take a video of it?

Hans.

·
Registered
507 Posts
if the tech is thoughtful, it has had a trickle charger on it this whole time. i charge up batteries if a car is in my bay apart for more than a day.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have had my 2016 sit for up to 6 weeks with zero trickle charger....must be a "good batch of a battery run".

obviously when my car sits from Nov 15 to April 15 it is on a charger.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It would be better for the battery to keep it healthy....then you won't walk out to fire it up and have a dead 3 year old battery....and blame the battery...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Update 10/22
Hell Yeah!!! New motor is In!
All parts came in from Italy: (they had the oil filter housing) valve cover, harness and oil pan. New estimate is end of week but may go into Monday. Although the motor has been tested, I was advised that there is a 1000 mile break in period...no racing but no limit on top speed. I was shown the damage to all parts and the mechanic tech was very good in explaining on what’s been happening and what’s expected. For a relatively young guy I’m very happy. Wait I still don’t have the car but fingers crossed. I’ll be posting the video showing status and discussion.

Attachments

2,954 Posts
You really don't have to that...It is just a car engine going into a car...Most of us get the concept.. Car engines break everyday and someone is putting one in a car as you read this...I just don't get it...I'm thinking the tech. would like to cause you physical harm at this point BTW...Let him put the engine in the car and pick the car up...Simple...Jason

61 - 80 of 124 Posts