Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@Jason: No Worries.

Just to Add: The Service manager indicated this will be the first time they’ve installed a new (Ferrari) motor into a GranTurmiso?! I think someone did comment on the motor warranty and according to the service manager the engine/parts/labor will have a
1-year/100k mile warranty. But I’m now relying on a relatively new mechanics skill set that has never installed a motor in a GranTurmiso.
Sure! What could go wrong?!

What I also found interesting is the service manager (being new himself) could not answer if replacing the motor will disqualify me from purchasing the extended warranty?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can certainly understand his disappointment, but yea its just a car. Pierre has been an enthustiatic poster from day 1. Is this your first Italian car sir?

I can certainly go on and on the plights I have had with Ferraris. And I'm not rich in any sense. And they were out of warranty. So that stung.

Because of that, I only buy in warranty still. And Maserati has always stood behind theirs. I had a Ghibli that blew a motor at 9k miles. Full new one installed.

Your car is getting fixed, that's a major win. Think of the pain if you had to cough up 30 grand on your own!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks.
Try explaining that to my wife! I’ve stayed away from Italian cars in the past, all previously German because of reliability. This was the only true four seater my wife allowed me...I mean comprised with me for a replacement to my BMW F10.
You’re Right it’s just a car but that comes after driving it for multiple months and the new car smell wears off...But Hell I didn’t even get to that point.

The Maserati USA regional warranty dude indicated over his 7 years, he has only seen three engine replacements in a GranTurmiso, mine being the third. I still like the Maserati brand but not at the cost of shet breaking.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
1 year /100 k miles warranty ?! That’s a very strange combo, is it a typo ?
If this is the first time they will be installing an engine into the car I’d be very concerned but not sure what to recommend , and I’m certain Maserati would not cover the labor, nor the function of the engine for that matter unless the job is done at a dealer. Maybe ask if the Maserati in Marin county has more experience with that and you can have them do the job ? Or any Maserati dealer in California ; it may be worth the couple of hundred dollars to have the car transported to a dealer who can do this job for you with 100 % confidence .
Warranty or not it’d be a colossal hassle to take that car in every other week for the next year to have this or that fixed because they did not know what they were doing when installing the engine and there are imperfections everywhere which will cause a bunch of trouble.. mencahincal, electronics , or who knows what .
Unless of course that job is an easy “plug and play” which any half way decent mechanic can do, in which case it should be fine. I hope ..
Last, I was thinking Maserati might be willing to ship your car the factory for this , but then I remembered they’re not Bugatti. ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Pierre - my comments about repairing the motor were based on the assumption you would get stuck paying for it. Yes, with a warranty, I would want a new motor also.

But, in the Ferrari world, so you are aware, rebuilding motors is "business as usual"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@Dave Rocks no worries. Thanks DSGT for the comment.
And to the group I’m not taking offense and enjoy the comments both Good and Bad, just frustrated as Hell!
I’m now on my way to Denver for a long conference, when I should be enjoying driving my GTS on such a beautiful day in San Francisco.
15E84DDF-BDE1-4070-A6F1-7BAC33234545.jpeg

4,137 Posts
+1..That engine is not used in any Ferrari model...It has the most in common with a 430 engine and that is a stretch...Probably 40% of the parts are different...Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I get it. I say Ferrari to make myself feel better on the investment...I mean buying the car. From a person who is interested in Maserati amy connection, notion or mention of Ferrari is a huge draw/appeal.
I am in the future planning stages to purchase a F458 to fill the void.
Yeah I’m going to keep the GranTurmiso as my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
“Ferrari-derived “ motor.. ?! I beg to differ, but an engine BUILT by Ferrari is, pure and simple, a Ferrari engine . The fact that no other Ferrari model is equipped with this engine is not relevant to the matter , IMO. It was built specifically for the Maserati. A Maserati stamp on the engine, or its uniqueness doesn’t make it any less of a Ferrari engine.
Now, anyone who really wants to open up that proverbial can of worms , can discuss the DINO ( 206 GT / 246 GT & GTS ) Ferrari - Dino - Fiat debate :rolleyes::oops: But I’m sure Ferrari forums have covered that subject to death from the very day the cars were released, and on ...

Oh, yeah..Pierre , what is the significance of the airport receipt ..?? that’s completely lost on me ..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bring the car down to Ferrari Newport Beach. They have done many I am sure. And Dane is a great service writer. Worth the haul down if you are concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Bring the car down to Ferrari Newport Beach. They have done many I am sure. And Dane is a great service writer. Worth the haul down if you are concerned.
If this was my car, that’s what I would do . Or Beverly Hills Ferarri - Maserati . And that way you also have the benefit of driving 400 miles back to the Bay Area during which you can test every possible situation and function of the engine performance . A great opportunity to break in the new engine properly ( just don’t take Hwy 1 , or even Hwy 5 , becuase if you get stuck, it’ll take a while . Hwy 101 is perfect ). Considering it’ll be a Maserati dealer ( or Ferarri if the warranty applies ) who does the engine transplant , if any problems develop later guy can take it to Maserati or Ferrari of Marin, or San Jose to have issues fixed, but even though scOOb pinged out that it’s not rocket science / surgery , I’d still not leave this job to a novice mechanic and be a guinea pig for their learning experience . Just my $ 0.02 ..if it was my car .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was considering taking it to Maserati Ferrari of Marin. I have been checking in with Burlingame and talking with both the service manager and mechanic to get a better sense of skill set. My last visit I did get a better feeling about the install. I would prefer to have a shop and mechanic that have depth of experience replacing engines. I can only try to be engaged during this process and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bummer on the engine but in no way is a modern production Maserati an investment. It’s a rapidly depreciating asset ... but a fun one. BTW Fiat stiffed me on something as small as a floppy sun visor at 1000 miles. Good luck with that engine

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Indeed fortunate that they will honor the warranty, and not consider the issue to be just another not covered “wear item” . - sorry sir, do you mean to tell us the engine is running while you’re driving the car ? ? that wears the engine , so....wear item exclusion applies . ? May we interest you in the new Alfieri while you’re here ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pierre,

Thank you for sharing with us your story. I want you to know I fully sympathize with you. Be aware that you want to bring all of this to Brianna Wells attention at Maserati, NA. I suggest that you have a direct contact with a Maserati Director of Marketing for any decisions you make with . Call the Customer Service Hotline and ask to be connected. If they crate a case number and you get delayed, then please PM me for her direct contact cell number.

Best of Luck,

Craig Stika

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bummer on the engine but in no way is a modern production Maserati an investment. It’s a rapidly depreciating asset ... but a fun one. BTW Fiat stiffed me on something as small as a floppy sun visor at 1000 miles. Good luck with that engine

Im not sure if this is related to a dealer, but I have always had great warranty care with Maserati. Maybe it is smaller dealers that try to run games? Ferrari of Newport beach always takes care of me. Dane the Masi Writer is great. They always provide a loaner, and its so hassle free. My car is in right now getting a new gauge cluster as matter of fact. Temp Gauge became erratic.

Super easy. maybe I just jinxed myself? LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks Chris for the input.
UPDATE:
No video link but I will be posting on YouTube.
So freakin happy the MOTOR IS HERE!
Started in Italy shipped to Florida and finally Burlingame!
5C192D93-DAA0-4438-8554-50BFBDCA3D31.jpeg

21 - 40 of 155 Posts