Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short:
1. Check engine light came on while driving.
2. Took it to Maserati dealership.
3. ~17k miles.
4. Miss Fire.
5. Needs new replacement $40K+ Ferrari Motor.
6. Covered under Warranty????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear about your GT. I'm actually looking at purchasing a similar 2015 that has been certified CPO. Any due diligence tips you'd recommend before purchasing? Would you recommend a ppi on a CPO vehicle or is it unnecessary?

Also, from your post, it appears you have reason to believe this engine replacement may not been covered on the warranty. Why the doubt? Also, is yours still under the 4/50 or is it CPO warranty?
Thanks Pierre.

·
Vendor
741 Posts
So, first off - sorry to hear this. I only watched a few minutes of your video (sorry, but too long).

What is the code(s)? Who told you that a new motor is needed and why? I don't buy it for a second. Unless you blew a rod thru the block, anything can be fixed. It could be as simple as a spark plug.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With all do respect, I just wasted 12 min of my life on the video. Will save everyone the time, summary:
-car idle rough, check engine light on
-tech found out there were cylinder scarring in 6 of 8
-Tracked maintenance records from previous owner (car only had 17k, even if you change the oil after 5k miles you should be good)
-waiting from Fiat-Chrysler, sorry I mean Maserati USA (lol) to approve

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, first off - sorry to hear this. I only watched a few minutes of your video (sorry, but too long).

What is the code(s)? Who told you that a new motor is needed and why? I don't buy it for a second. Unless you blew a rod thru the block, anything can be fixed. It could be as simple as a spark plug.
I agree, but he did say the cylinders walls were damaged.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Very disturbing news. What could possibly cause six of the eight cylinders to get damaged like that ? Are the pistons and valves shot as well ? I can only think of detonation by running too lean , but how would that happen on this car ?
With all due respect to the Maserati dealer ( which I have none, lol ) if they replace your engine with a new one under warranty , then I guess the whys and hows, and is that diagnosis correct does not really matter , but if you get any crap re the warranty , tow it out of there and then call Ted at TAORMINA Motors in Belmont and see what he has to say about all of this . He’s rebuilt more Ferrari engines than probably all the dealers in the US combined...

·
Vendor
741 Posts
I agree, but he did say the cylinders walls were damaged.
I didn't watch enough of the video to know that - just went off of what he posted. And, liners can be replaced. A new motor is not needed.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The engine probably had two bores not machined correctly and it chewed up the cylinders walls...Manufacturing error...If you make enough engines then you'll end up with bad ones...Honestly, car shops especially dealers are not tearing into car engines anymore and fixing them..Your liability as a business is so great it is not worth the risk...You pull the engine and fix it and put it back in and in 3k miles you got a leak or a noise etc...Forget all that nonsense...People call us daily about installing headgaskets etc in overheated engines...We tell them no thanks and they tell us that they can't get anyone to do it...Not worth the risk...replace the engine IMO....Jason

·
Vendor
741 Posts

• Not that I will ever take on a rebuild to this extent, but what are liners and how do they work?
The block is aluminum so it has steel liners. Here is a pciture of my Ferrari 355 engine

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Are there any other known cases of this having happened to another GT ?! Surely Maserati would try to keep this as quiet as possible , but wondering if anyone who participates in other Maserati or Ferrari forums have heard of anything of the sort ..

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I hardly ever have internal engine issues with these cars...I did have a GT in this week with low compression on cyl #6, but it has 80K and is honestly not really a nice car..So who knows what happened to it...Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Are there any other known cases of this having happened to another GT ?! Surely Maserati would try to keep this as quiet as possible , but wondering if anyone who participates in other Maserati or Ferrari forums have heard of anything of the sort ..
Certainly not come up on any of the forums

C

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Man, your first video was 11 minutes...This was another 4....It is a car engine...It is not a lung, kidney, or a vital body part...Can you just post it in text like every other person on here or are we going for an Academy Award here...Best drama for a car repair? A lot of people that post on here have car issues...I find it very self absorbed to make 15 minutes of videos detailing your plight....regards...Jason

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Jason: It was a lot easier talking about it. Not to be critical...Remember I’ve owned the car for ~3 months, now I’m paying for not driving it for 1-month. I should be enjoying my daily driver with my wife and 2-year old daughter on the weekends. Not a lung but an investment, that is now a paper weight. Also, I’m leaving tomorrow on a business trip for one week and hopefully the new Ferrari motor will arrive, and yeah I’m going to make another video when the engine arrives!

In short I hope any other current/potential owners of the Maserati brand will find this event helpful related to any warranty issues.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts