Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked on our forum here and can't find any definitive answer on the XM Satellite installation issue.

I just got a AGT Sportscaster (mainly for home use in their portable boombox), but thought it would be nice to have in the Maserati too.

The product came with this new "hookup" method that XM calls: SureConnect.
http://store.xmfanstore.com/sureconnect.html

Just curious if anyone has used it, or just how they hook up XM to our Magnet Marelli NIT's, and how it can be done without using the SureConnect wireless method (having to tune your FM receiver to a channel thats not being used).

Thanks!

·
Registered
909 Posts
For our customers, we've done the traditional connection method that uses an FM modulator wired inline with the FM antenna. Technically the signal is FM modulated, but it is a direct wired connection with the stereo, selected by turning on the XM reciever and tuning to 87.9, or 88.1 or something similar. (the rest of the stations are scrambled if you leave it on and change the station) We've used the same method for Mercedes, Land Rovers, etc. and the sound quality is fine for the digital compression used.

Depending on the rest of the install, this particular method is nice because its universal in connection with any car with an FM radio, and doesn't affect existing wiring in the car for future removal.

- Mark

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark:

That sounds like exactly what I would like to do. What FM modulator do you use?

One thing I did notice, is that when I put the SureConnect antenna on top of the antenna wire that plugs into the back of the NIT, the sound quality is actually better than using the device they give you in the kit to "double back tape" it to the rear window, over the antenna wire.

Do you install the FM modulator under the center arm rest?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
no offense, but the sure connect is still an fm modulator

here you go...
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/u...ation-of-satellite-radio-fm-transmitters.html

Remember when FM Modulating you are already taking a compressed signal, and rebroadcasting it on a signal that the satelite is supposed to be replacing anyways. so it goes from good to OK. FM Modulation is just a band aid. there is always a solution to the problem that doesn't require an FM modulator.

if maserati of minneapolis or anyone else can post a pic of your radio setup, such as screen, changer, etc... I can find a solution for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts