Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing out on a car from Cars.com:annoyed:

If anyone is selling - let me know:

interested in a low mileage (40K miles or below)
stripper or loaded
no paddle shifters - traditional stick a must:autofahrer:
mods OK
and located in USA or Canada

thanks
Moto
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - the one in Texas looks like the dealer has a bad rep and not to honest - but we are talking about used car salesman.

I will call on the CA tomorrow. Thanks again guys

Moto

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anymore leads would be awesome...

Thanks
Moto

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The three primary sources for older (pre-2008) are probably
EBAY, cars.com, autotrader.com
I seldom see these 2006 or older at FM dealers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Moto - why so adverse to the F1 transmission? I was very hesitant as well, but after about 5,000 miles or so I would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like the feeling of a manual car and probably less tickets as well!!!

Moto

·
5,887 Posts
Moto - why so adverse to the F1 transmission? I was very hesitant as well, but after about 5,000 miles or so I would not have it any other way.
+1. The Cambiocorsa equipped cars are true manual transmissions. They just have a computer controlled clutch. You still do all the shifting and have control. If you haven't tried one yet, don't rule it out. The Cambiocorsa tranmission was an expensive but very popular factory option.

However, if you have tried the F1 unit, and just miss working the clutch, good luck with the search for a 6MT. The right car can take some time to find. Don't rush into anything and don't settle.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a f1 trans equipped GS for sale if you change your mind.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i gotta say, i too missed the "proper" manual the first month I got my F1 Spyder... but not only do I love the F1 now, when I drive either of my other two cars, I constantly catch myself reaching for the paddle with my finger tips.

Give it a longer shot than a 10 minute test drive.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i gotta say, i too missed the "proper" manual the first month I got my F1 Spyder... but not only do I love the F1 now, when I drive either of my other two cars, I constantly catch myself reaching for the paddle with my finger tips.

Give it a longer shot than a 10 minute test drive.

+1 It is different, but I think it helps getting up the learning curve if you have driven stick shift SPORTS CARS - not your uncles old pickup truck - preferably Italian. With that said in order to really get into the grove and really appreciate the beauty of these transmissions probably took me 5,000+ miles - I may be a slow learner but it has to become second nature where the optimal shift points are for various type of driving. Now, after about 10,000 miles I don't even think about it any more and can truly just enjoy the thrill of driving this magnificent car with both hands on the wheel at all times!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not to be disrepectful to the cc guys but...

- Allen Berg (ex F1 veteran) says: "F1 transmissions dumb down the driving experience - there is no way any street driver needs (or should want) one"
- Heel and toe shifting is a true art that is lost to the CC driver
- The 6MT on a Maserati 4200 is slow, stiff, long throw and ornery - just like the real world. These cars are "old school" and the transmission that best matches that is a 6MT
- 6MT cars seem to have lower operating costs (no F1 pumps and fewer clutch replacements)

I have a 6MT and am very happy with it.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
+2 for a GT. I just do not enjoy the experience as much. Yes I can see on a track the advantages but just miss the interaction of the clutch and working the pedels. F1 is way more expensive to own and service over time also.
I drove a Ferrari Scud and that F1 works. The rest I am not so sure about.
Drove a new Lambo with E-Gear and it is as bad as the CC. Just not a fan.
I would love to own a Ferrari some day but only with a real manual trans.
Looks like I will never get to order a new one from them now. But that might change. My Maserati Mechanic had this to say when he looked over my car.
Manual-very nice! Way better than the CC and easy to maintain and bullet proof-except a bit notchy. He and his brother use to both wrench for the Ferrari race team before they moved to america. 3 to 5K every 10 to 20K miles is joke. I can see why the factory likes to sell them. Cash flow.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

·
5,887 Posts
My Maserati Mechanic had this to say when he looked over my car.
Mechanics are sales people. They know never to call a person's baby ugly. Don't ever expect a mech to tell you they think you made a wrong buying choice.

He and his brother use to both wrench for the Ferrari race team before they moved to america.
The Ferrari race team much churn through mechanics like crazy. Unless, of course, they mean a Ferrari race team vs. the Ferrari race team (most people assume F1 racing). Seems like half of the shops in North America have at least one "ex-Ferrari race team mechanic".

3 to 5K every 10 to 20K miles is joke.
Really the same numbers for a 6MT clutch. It has only been speculated that 6MT clutches last longer.

I can see why the factory likes to sell them.
Factory likes F1 tranmissions because the market loves them. Despite being a very expensive factory option, many more new purchasers buy them compared to the less expensive base tranmission cars. Expensive option to boost list price + market demand = happy factory.

Of course, all of this is a thing of the past since the factory started focusing on auto tranmission cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:popcorn:Wow - I did not mean to start a firestorm --

I thank everyone one who has responded and pm'ed me.

Update:
1. the one in PA was in an accident - but has a clean carfax!
2. the one in TX was in an accident as well - with a clean carfax!
3. the one in Canada - for that price I would but a F348.
4. the one in Charlotte NC - I drove it - totally abused.

I am slowing coming to the conclusion that I need to buy one from a private seller opposed to a used car dealer.

The search for a low miles 05/06 coupe gt 6MT.

The search continues...
Moto

1 - 20 of 33 Posts