Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Spend over 6500 dollars at Miller Motors in Greenwich for a new Clutch, F1 pump and f1 relay 3 weeks ago. Tonight I thought I use the car for the 1st time, Well I got 1/2 a block from home before the Trans failure light went on and the car went to "N" then it wouldn't start. Had to have a flat bed get it home since my house is at the top of a top. Mine is a 2004 coupe with 20,000 miles.,Loaded, Dark Blue. I was so happy to get this car a few months ago. Now as soon as I get the title from DMV the car is gone. The 1st person with 30k gets it. Paid 42 added 6500. I'll take the loss and get something that works. Maybe its time for a glass of wine and I'll feel better.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Sorry to hear this mate :(

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Perhaps the work carried out recently wasn't done to spec?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wine helped.

I hate to throw the towel in on this car. But if I can't trust it to work.... Will advise what the dealer says. My guess is its a bad F1 pump. Car started fine, Went into "R" fine, then "1" 300 feet later when I tried to go to "2" the trans failure light came on, Car went to "N" rolled to a stop. I shut it down then tried to restart it without any luck. Then the real fun started. The neighbors that I kind of know just come out to watch the tow truck. Or the two young kids that stop to tell me "Gee that sucks"

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
I hate to throw the towel in on this car. But if I can't trust it to work.... Will advise what the dealer says. My guess is its a bad F1 pump. Car started fine, Went into "R" fine, then "1" 300 feet later when I tried to go to "2" the trans failure light came on, Car went to "N" rolled to a stop. I shut it down then tried to restart it without any luck. Then the real fun started. The neighbors that I kind of know just come out to watch the tow truck. Or the two young kids that stop to tell me "Gee that sucks"
Tip: Next time, turn off the battery for about 1 minute. Then put the power back on. Wait 30 seconds and then put key in ignition, turn to last position before starting, wait until all the beeps go off and then start. This should reset the computer and let you go back in gear to get home.

I had this trouble when I first bought my coupe. Turned out to be the F1 pump - only 1500 miles ago - Now I'm occasionally running into this again. I think it's just slightly low fluid. I will be topping off tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sounds like the place you took it too, didn't do the work right.

I would take it back, have them pay for it. In the mean time you need to contact the CEO of Maserati and tell him what happened, especially if they are an authorized dealer. Roberto does respond to his email and is a very nice chap, just tell him exactly what has happened and he will probably make it right for you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on calling the office ( I think there in N.J )

Thank you for the tip about removing power to the battery and then resetting it. Will that remove the trouble code(s) that Miller Motors will need to see so I can get this fixed? I would hate for the problem to go away and have nothing stored for them to see. One another note the flatbed service I used does the towing for Miller Motors, The driver told me he knows what the problem is ( F1 pump ) Said this happens all the time with Maserati .. Nice..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I work with John Broderson at Miller. He's a stand up guy. I bought my car (not at Miller) 5 months ago with 1 month of warrantee left on it. While Miller did originally misdiagnose a faulty front crank seal on my car and replace the oil pump seal instead while it was under warrantee, they did cover the front seal a few weeks later when I took it back because I had oil on the garage floor (and I was out of warantee at that point). They were extremely apoligetic and did really try to make me happy.

It took a few weeks to get the bugs worked out, but now I use as a daily driver for the last 3 months with no issue. Hope you keep the car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
:mad: Spend over 6500 dollars at Miller Motors in Greenwich for a new Clutch, F1 pump and f1 relay 3 weeks ago. Tonight I thought I use the car for the 1st time, Well I got 1/2 a block from home before the Trans failure light went on and the car went to "N" then it wouldn't start. Had to have a flat bed get it home since my house is at the top of a top. Mine is a 2004 coupe with 20,000 miles.,Loaded, Dark Blue. I was so happy to get this car a few months ago. Now as soon as I get the title from DMV the car is gone. The 1st person with 30k gets it. Paid 42 added 6500. I'll take the loss and get something that works. Maybe its time for a glass of wine and I'll feel better.
I have a 2004 coupe as well 30k + no troubles really, one clutch change with a few bugs
they worked out from the clutch service, but other than that trouble free.

·
Registered
793 Posts
F1 (duoselect) transmissions have what is called "PIS". That's the point of initial clutch slippage that has to be set with SD2/SD3.

If not done properly you can experience a host of clutch problems.

It's possible what you have experienced is not major, and an exam by SD2/3 will tell you a bit.

I would suggest also that you find a dedicated independent experienced with Maserati's.

You would be surprised how few "extra" problems such as this you will have.

Don't throw away your $ just yet. Once this issue is found you might be ok for quite a while.

Next time stay away from a car with this transmission.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As you might have noticed if you run some searches on the website for similar problems, what is afflicting you is a common problem.

I experienced what you described quite a few times (the towing scene...) I think 3 or four.

Now I had the car for a week after it was in the shop for 2.5 MONTHS. So far no transmission related issues (provided the vibration I feel at 4000rpm are due e loose heat shield...).

There are so many things that can cause problems with the CambioCorsa that diagnosis is very difficult for the dealer. In my case EVENTUALLY it was a problem with one electrovalve. But the only way is for the technician to really go through the readings carefully and try few things. And he better have some experience.

Honestly I feel I'm renting the car from the dealer, as 1. it spent a lot more time with them than it did with me and 2. to take it back I always have to pay some significant amount, that so far has been sort of proportional to the time the car actually spent with me.

All in all a bad, bad experience that really undermines the enjoyment of using the car, as after something like this happens... in the back of your mind... you're always thinking whether or not you'll be stuck somewhere again.

It's a life lesson though... things aren't perfect, the better they are, the shorter the time they last for, and one week's fun it's one month's sacrifice ;) Maseratis are for people that can appreciate life in all it's aspects I guess.

Good luck and post updates.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dosn't the pump start pumping after opening the door?

Thanks for all the input. The last time I needed a tow was 1975. I wanted see how fast my 1970 GTO was. I rev'd the car to 5000 rmps and dropped the clutch. It went real fast for about 10 feet....Then the rear blow and the input shaft on the 4 speed cracked.I told my dad "I was driving normal and it just happened" This however is not the car to be on the side of the road with. Some people smile when they drive by and see you stuck. ( Like your having a good time looking like a fool. Anyway when me car did start I would hear a pump pumping for a few seconds after I would open the drivers door. I don't hear that now. I would guess that is the f1 pump.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are so many things that can cause problems with the CambioCorsa that diagnosis is very difficult for the dealer.
I think this is one of the biggest issues. It is like the R&D was not completed. I've had several transmission issues where it was clearly a CC problem (and it beeped and threw me out of gear) but no red CC light or code stored.

My car is back in the shop again, this time for a new actuator... (under warranty).

The dealer says they pretty much don't have engine issues with these cars, the issues are mostly rattles (which I've had none of but he says they see it on low mileage cars) and CC issues.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank god for the Coupe GT 6. speed Man,trans. I have 25,000 1st clutch and all is fine to this point. I will let you all know when i have to replace the clutch.
Ron:)

·
5,887 Posts
I would take it back, have them pay for it. In the mean time you need to contact the CEO of Maserati and tell him what happened, especially if they are an authorized dealer. Roberto does respond to his email and is a very nice chap, just tell him exactly what has happened and he will probably make it right for you.

[email protected]
Taking it back and letting the dealership fix it is the right thing to do. The issue could be anything from a bad repair job to a faulty part. Let the dealer figure it out and go from there.

Contacting the CEO of Maserati at this point is the wrong thing to do. I would only play that card if there was some significant injustice that you could not get corrected on your own.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree on the injustice part...

But if the dealer took your money and didn't fix the car.. Then it's an injustice.
Anyone who tolerates substandard work on a luxury car is just allowing the dealership to do the same to the next customer. My dealer here would never let the car out the door that still had a problem, they even kept mine for an extra day just to make sure it was right.
If you are getting substandard service you need to let Maserati know as the only thing you are doing is destroying their reputation if it is not fixed. That's why FIAT was known as Fix It Again Tony. Maserati/Ferrari and Fiat no longer want that reputation, they want to sell cars and good cars. If the dealership isn't getting the job done then drill them... Let them know you expect a little more from Maserati and I guarantee you that Luca M, and Roberto are expecting the same. There have been scenarios here in the states in recent years where Maserati dealerships were taken because they dealer wasn't cutting the mustard. Maserati is selling more luxury cars than any other brand even with the recession in the world economy and that's because they care about their customers and they offer a unique product of decent quality. If the dealer is chasing away their customers because of their shoddy work these sales won't last long and that's not what they want. Roberto would like to know when you are having problems, otherwise he can't fix them.. He would also like to know when you receive excellent service, that way he also knows who is doing good work.. Nobody can run a company in a vacuum and hearing from your customers is a priviledge.

·
5,887 Posts
But if the dealer took your money and didn't fix the car.. Then it's an injustice.
Anyone who tolerates substandard work on a luxury car is just allowing the dealership to do the same to the next customer. My dealer here would never let the car out the door that still had a problem
There are some important clarifications here...

1) At the time of the post, the dealer had not yet had a chance to make it right.

2) There was no "accepting substandard service". If something goes wrong after you get your car back, you call the dealer and let them correct the issue.

3) According to the original post, the car went "out the door" working fine.

I'm not suggesting anyone should accept poor work. I'm just suggesting a call to the CEO of a company way be premature at this point.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree, but if the problem persists....

Push the big red button! It's your money, make sure you get what you want for it... In today's economy cash is king, and it will only be more so in the coming months...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you know anything about the history of the car?
Where did it come from, did it have similar problems in the past?

With the VIN, you should be able to find out something about it's service history.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have all the service records from new

This was owned by a woman that said she used it on nice days and drove it "Nice and easy". I knew the clutch would soon need to be replaced (with 20k mile on it.) So being pro-active and not wanting to get stuck I did the clutch,F1 pump and relay. I guess I got a bad new F1 pump. However all the new parts in the world can't fix a bad design. The tow truck driver told me these car get stuck all the time. He didn't say it like a wise ass kid but more like he was just stating a fact. How do you trust a car to work that may need more r&d? On the other hand the only problem that people seem to have is this F1 issue. Their should be some way to fix it. Time will tell. With a history of past problems, Maserati should be all over this. The last thing they need is a repeat of the 80s

1 - 20 of 38 Posts