Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Would you buy a Granturismo again ?
I would be very grateful to you if you can help me in this question.

Shall i buy a Maserati Granturismo ?
Because i'd like to buy a GT-S and i did not own a Maserati yet, i thought it's much better to ask GT owners about theyr opinion than a dealer.

I drive now an Audi A8 with a 4 liter tuned Diesel engine, wich is not slow. In the sunny week-ends i'm allowed to enjoy the 519 HP of a Gallardo Nera.
I'd like to replace the Audi, do you think the M-GT would be the right choice ?

Thank you in advance !
Roland

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Given the nature of your existing car, wouldn't the Quattroporte (perhaps the new "S") be more suitable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BigFoot,
Your idea is corect, but in 99,99 % i use the Audi alone. As family vagon we use the Cayenne of my wife.
I wanted the GT as "my everyday toy".

Regards to Japan
Roland

·
Registered
181 Posts
i use my GT as a everyday car (actually 5 days a week).
if i had to buy another car today, i would buy a GT.
wouldn't buy a GT-S because no auto trans.
caveat: GT may be slower than your Audi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Sorry, i can't understand what you mean with "wouldn't buy a GT-S because no auto trans.":confused:
Regards
Roland

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The GranTurismo is offered with a traditional automatic (made by ZF).

The GranTurismo S is offered with a clutchless manual with paddle shifts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use my GT as daily drive as well. In terms of style, performance and sex appeal and comfort, no other car comes close to my GT. After my experience with my old Maserati Coupe I would not buy another car with CC tran.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers !
Hmm...things are getting complicated.
GT-S has more power but there might be problems or inconveninces caused by the transmission.
GT seems to be more reliable for every day use, has a regular auomatic transmission. ( Might be slower than an Audi A8 4.0 TDI 4x4 )
Fact is - GT is a wonderful car
Question - shall i spend 120.000 Euro for a M-GT?
Are you totally convinced by this car ?

Thanks
Roland

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a GT with the auto transmission and recently bought a new F430 spider with the F1 box. I have to say that the F1 box in automatic mode in the Ferrari is outstanding, even in traffic where it will allow forward creeping movement with no issues, and feels almost identical to a torque convertor auto 95% of the time. The box used in the Maserati GTS is a variant of the F1 system used in the 599 which is reportedly much better than the 430's so based upon my experience I'd think it should be pretty good in auto mode. I hope to attend a GTS driving event next week so I'll report back on what I find. I just hope I don't like it too much as I'd take a huge depreciation hit if I traded my GT for an S :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

If i may complete what ISUK said, in the Gallardo there is also a F1 transmission with the posibility for driving the car also in automatic mode. As i don't use that car for driving arround in the city, i push the A button till i reach the city border. After that, there is no greater orchestra than the engine's voice at 6000 rpm.
Has the GT-S also a F1 style transmission combined with an automatic mode ? That would be great. For the daily use you can drive on regular automatic, and outside you can tickle the stalions...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers !
Hmm...things are getting complicated.
GT-S has more power but there might be problems or inconveninces caused by the transmission.
GT seems to be more reliable for every day use, has a regular auomatic transmission. ( Might be slower than an Audi A8 4.0 TDI 4x4 )
Fact is - GT is a wonderful car
Question - shall i spend 120.000 Euro for a M-GT?
Are you totally convinced by this car ?

Thanks
Roland
Roland,
It's quite simple actually. The GT is a great car: beautiful, luxurious and comfortable. Only drawback is the it won't blow you away with its power. If you are looking for an everyday car that has automatic transmission so you don't have to worry about manual paddle shifting, then get the GT. Otherwise, you should get the GT-S, which as the same luxury and beauty as the GT, but is faster and won't have auto transmission. Don't know how fast your Audi is, but the GT I believe does 0-100km in 5.2 secs. GT-S is a bit faster.

I am 100% convinced this is the car for me. Perfect for my needs.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Has the GT-S also a F1 style transmission combined with an automatic mode ? That would be great. For the daily use you can drive on regular automatic, and outside you can tickle the stalions...
Yes it does, but I have no idea how good it is.

I did drive a Gallardo (albeit for 40 short minutes) and the automatic mode was dreadful in my opinion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bigfoot,

I've owned two egear Gallardo's and although the auto mode is not as good as the F1 in the 430, it certainly isn't bad if you are experienced with it. You need to lift off the throttle slightly as you feel the box about to change or you will get jerky changes. That's no different to keeping your foot planted and changing manually though where you will get the same violent snap into gear. You also need to knock the box into manual when coming to a stop in either auto or manual modes as the box will bang jerkily into first at low speed when you really want it to hold onto second until you stop.

It's not wise IMHO to base judgements on these types of cars on a short test drive though, unfortunately, that's all most buyers are likely to get before signing over the cheque. You need time to become familiar with the car to get the best from it. For instance I thought my 430 spider was really uncomfortable following a couple of shortish hour long drives just after buying it. I then took it on a 2,300 mile tour of France and Switzerland over an 8 day trip and discovered that it is in fact surprisingly comfortable and carries out a GT touring type role effortlessly. There isn't even much wind noise from the roof around a 95mph cruising speed :D

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, I'd be happy to get a much better idea if you let me have a go with yours ;)

To be honest, within a short period of time, I went to test drive several performance vehicles (you can find the reports here on ML, in the Drivers' Lounge) and the Lambo e-gear wasn't particularly good. It was ok in manual mode but the auto was iffy. And so is Maserati's cambiocorsa "auto" function in the Coupe'/GranSport and in many other cars with clutchless manual gearboxes. They just don't "understand" the driving conditions you are in and force you to needing to modulate the accelerator very finely to get a better result.

Only one clutchless manual gearbox really stood out and that was the M6's, which worked very well in "auto" mode, though the rest of the car was sub-par.

The best clutch I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing was the GT-R's. Unbelievable piece of kit. Simply stunning (again there is a thread of mine with a review floating around somewhere) :)

In any event, I actually loved the Gallardo and if my wife didn't threaten to turn me into a male soprano with a big pair of scissors, I would have snapped one up :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts