Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a used Coupe GT, and am having a hard time finding one that I like.
In the search, I noticed that alot of the dealers have brand new Coupe GT's with NO options at all, at an attractive price.
What do you guys think of these cars.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok...you have my attention...

Let's see...

While a stipper is probably a looker and can make you feel nice on the drive home.....I always see stippers as being interested in the quick bang....lightening your wallet as fast as possible, not interested in the long run...a quick wham bam thank you ....

take it from grandma Emma....take your time, look for a nice girl, she will keep you happier longer

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I bought my Maserati for the interior, the body and the drivetrain. That's all "standard". Unless you need a Nav (which isn't worth it), must have HID/Xenon lights (OK, I do wish I had those), or some exotic interior/paint, play "let's make a deal" on a new one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I tend to buy either loaded cars or strippers. My 968 was a stripper because all I wanted was killer handling. My M5 was loaded with everything because it was my "luxury car". Depends what you want out of the car.

And I might bring a stripper home. Depends on what she showed me beforehand ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
On the other hand, a stripper can give you things you could never otherwise be able to get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A dealer told me one time to make sure that I got Skyhook suspension, and also a leather headliner. I did, and was glad that I got both...

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you can get the stripper to perform for little money, I'ld say, why not?

I have myself been considering going for a Coupe and orderling it without any options, but if the dealers are stocking these themselves.....

I don't care for the parking sensors, back masseuses, surround sound orchestra sound systems, electronic map readers and the various other whatnots that seem to be necessary on modern cars....

I would like the skyhook though, if only for the apparent ease of lowering a Coupe to Gransport specs.

Now if only they would put a stick shift in a Quattroporte..... ah one can always dream.

Pray, good sir, where can I find information on these strippers?

Thx,

Dolle Dolf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coupe GT

I recently bought a 2002 Coupe GT. Nav is useless. Headliner is great, skyhook good after lowered. I looked very hard for a GT as I have never owned anything but manual cars. Except my 360N-GT but that is a race car and a completly different story.

I felt for the long term the 6 speed would be easier to mantain and is much rarer. My 360 street car was also a 6 speed and was cheaper and easier to sell when I was ready to move on.

As for loweing the Coupe I finished it this weekend. Someone else posted some great tips and pictures. I just wish I had done before and after measurements and pics. I did 20 turns down in the front and 18 in the rear.
The car rides great and has much less body roll. I have not done an alignment yet but the car feels great. The negative camber and lower CG help.

However the project did turn out to be a bit tougher than I thought it would.
a. When I lowered my f355 it was 10 minutes per wheel and noneed to compress the springs. The coupe needs the springs compressed and I had threaded compressers that take a long time to install and get in the way of making adjustments. The bigger problem was after 1.5 hours and 3 wheels being done easily the driver rear would not budge!!! 2 hours later I was able to only get 5 turns down. It was frozen. So I had raise the pass rear back up so I could drive it.

I called the dealer to price a new spring perch, $650 ouch. I asked them how to remove the shock. You need to take the trunk liner out and pull out the charcol canister and move the air pump to gain access to the 4 top bolts theat hold in the shock. 1 hr job. Once out I still could not budge the perch even with a 2 ft pipe wrench. I brought it to a mechanic who got it free with a air chisel. The ring looks like hell but it will not have to move again. It seems that somehow th ering was crossthreaded but I do not know how it could as it is half way up the shock.

The car rides a little stiffer but not much. It looks 10x better and no longer like a 4 x 4.

If the shock was not stuck and I had the correct spring compressors as any good mechanic would it is a 2hr job.

Does anyone know what 20 turns down in th efront and 18 in the back corresponds to in actual drop?

·
Registered
173 Posts
360gt said:
Does anyone know what 20 turns down in th efront and 18 in the back corresponds to in actual drop?
I am still wating to do mine. I have pring compresser but it does not work so I have to order new one that fit. I measured it roughtly and found out that 1" is about 17-18 turns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Outside of the exterior lines and the engine, I personally don't think much of the rest of the car or feel it's worth rht paying a big premium for and you get the above 2 on a stripper.

·
Registered
835 Posts
why not? a stripper can give you as much excitement as a loaded malibu barbie can.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As always, it all depends on how much money you have to burn. Cars and strippers both are luxury items, value is calculated in the heart, not the head.

(Well maybe the little head once in a while)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pick up the stripper, but be sure to ask how much extra for a Fuchs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Guess it's just a matter of preference. Strippers are alot of fun - can do stuff with them that would never be considered on an otherwise fully optioned unit.

I prefer mine optioned to some extent....

My Maser Gt has the leather headliner, Xenons, Skyhook, and yes, even the usless Nav system. I did upgrade the sound system with an aftermarket amp and upgraded the speakers.

My Jaguar XJ8 is fully optioned, as one would expect.

My C5 Corvette (soft top) is optioned with most of the factory goodies as well... HUD, upgraded adjustable suspension, sport seat option, premium wheels and upgraded stereo. This one is an automatic - just in case the wife wants to drive it. (a condition to buying this particular car)

Heck.... my Ferrari Dino has the "then optional" - power windows, A/C, and leather headliner.

·
Registered
390 Posts
pun alert

I'd never buy, say, a stripper Hummer, but for a sporty car like a Maserati it makes sense. You pay for the driving dynamics not the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
can someone of you explain what a stripper is? i might know this
term in a different sense......tx in advance, iwan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Devil's Dictionary?

Iwan said:
can someone of you explain what a stripper is?
Stripper: woman who removes her clothing for $ (or CHF).

So a "stripper" auto is naked: without optional luxury items, like a race car.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm planning on buying one potentially, once the dealer calls me back with a more reasonable price. Either way I'm not going to spend the extra money for options I never use. I buy the car to DRIVE it. I don't know what others do but that's just me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I love it....

CDF said:
Pick up the stripper, but be sure to ask how much extra for a Fuchs.
getting Fuchs from a stripper will do your Tubi good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts