Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
The difference in the paint color would definitely bother me. Did you get the car delivered like that? I mean it is not a 20 K vehicle - Paint quality ought to be better, especially after the investment Maserati made in their factory to assure things like that don't happen. Just my thought!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep ... thats the delivery paint ... didn't notice it until overcast day like today ... probably going to make the dealer take it back

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
you guys are all correct.
but keep in mind, Ferrari and Maserati does not have the best quality factory paint job.
for the longest time i thought they damaged the bumper on transit, and the dealer respray it (this is not an uncommon occurence). however, looking at a few more cars, it is apparent that it is not unusual to have paint aberrations that would be consider abnormal in german or japanese cars.

·
Registered
133 Posts
M! said:
you guys are all correct.
but keep in mind, Ferrari and Maserati does not have the best quality factory paint job.
for the longest time i thought they damaged the bumper on transit, and the dealer respray it (this is not an uncommon occurence). however, looking at a few more cars, it is apparent that it is not unusual to have paint aberrations that would be consider abnormal in german or japanese cars.
Agreed. From the pix it looks pretty significant to me though. Paint on different materials, bumper, I guess (for the lack of a better word) plastic, hood is aluminium. But still.

·
Registered
114 Posts
maybe I'm too Swiss but this is unacceptable, no matter what brand,
model and make!!

cheers
Iwan

·
Registered
773 Posts
color blind trouble!

why would a dealer let this be sold is troubling. duty here for an honest system is totaly lacking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just for one more opinion, my bumpers match exactly the rest of the body. So its not a plastic vs. metal issue.

I'd bring this up and insist on a resolution in your shoes.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
bundas said:
why would a dealer let this be sold is troubling. duty here for an honest system is totaly lacking.
yes, the Yoda speak bothers me. LOL.

·
Registered
431 Posts
colour issue

Are you sure that it doesnt or did at some point have a paint protection film? It dont look right .Could be due to white seelopahne type protective sticker used for transit to states. Take it back and cause a fuss. They may T-Cut it or give some sort of discount for next job.
Generally darker colours tend to be more forgiving when being touched up.
good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry ... headlight sprayer cover ... the car does not have track film on it ... believe me I would have noticed that ... all signs are pointing to a mishap post production ... This car was delivered to me from the east coast with only an exchange of photos ... it was suggested to me on several occassions that the car is/was immaculate ... this is not the only issue I had with the car upon delivery ... I'm a fairly easy going guy ... but the more responses I get the more disgusted I become ... tough discussion with dealer forthcoming ... frankly it should go something like this ... unwind the deal and come get the car ... send me a different car ... or ... i will call Maserati NA and have them opine on the situation ... I doubt the dealer wants them involved.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
thebimbo said:
..News to me as all 3 Masers I have had have had immaculate paint jobs. BTW, Ms & Fs go through exactly the same paint process at the *same* location which I think is actually at F. It's definitely not at M....
dont know how picky you are, but from several reputable paint shops in town who does exotics, all their comments are ferrari's do have not the best paint job, including very obvious orange peels compare to those german cars.

·
Registered
835 Posts
kirksquared said:
...i will call Maserati NA and have them opine on the situation ... I doubt the dealer wants them involved.
may be a longshot but worth a try...i have dealt with them twice, frankly not impressed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as saying F&M's have bad paint by any means, but some of the lighter metallic cars will show a slightly darker bumper under overcast or artificial lighting. Both Maserati and Ferrari have gotten far better in the last few years (look at a Fly Yellow 348 Ferrari, and you'll likely see three different shades) It's not something most people notice, and as soon as you get these same cars in the sun and you would never see a difference.

That said, yours does seem a bit more of a difference than what I have seen in the past, but its hard to say without seeing it in the different lighting conditions..

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think it has been repaired either by the prev owner or the garage themselves. Maybe they pranged it when it was in their care.
Last year I did a factory tour. Their quality control is excellect - and they have an interesting process....
Before their cars leave the factory, 'ownership' of the car transfers to another 'internal' company. They are responsible to going over the car in the finest detail (Isaw them doing it). If there are problems, they reject it and it is turned around for repairs. If they accept it and they ship the car for delivery, they take responsibility for any warranty repairs to the coachwork - that it their incentive not to let a blemisher car leave the factory.

I'm on my second Coupe and both paint jobs are perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK ... I've polled about 10 dealers now ... this is a common issue with the GS and QP inTouring Silver ... there are two forces at play ... one is the angle at which the bumper meets the body (the angle on the QP and GS is different than the coupes) ... combine this with a different manufacturing process for the bumpers on these cars and you have a recipe for an RMS difference ... some cars are worse and the Touring silver paint multiplies the issue . My dealer is haranguing MNA about it now ... well see where this goes ... the pictures are much worse than you see with a naked eye (digital interrpretation at play as well) ... in full sun, you'd likely not notice it ... nevertheless ... it is an issue to be aware of.

MTCL
K2

1 - 20 of 41 Posts