Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
No offense, but if you have to ask, you should have it done by the dealer. There are several things you can mess up that can be expensive. Just pay the dealer the 1 hour to do the job right.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Very good advice.

You don't want to be hit in the face with the air bag either.

Have a mechanic do it. You'll feel better about it afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for looking out for my safety guys, but I need to know how. For example, on my benz there is 2 T30 torx on the rear to remove airbag, then a simple 10mm allen holds the wheel in. My BMW is more a pain in the ass. What type of screws hold the airbag in and where does one access them? Thanks. I can replace it I just dont want to break anything unexpecting

·
Registered
905 Posts
Buy the service disk on e-bay for $29 and read it.

The procedure on most cars is always basically the same. Disconnect the battery, remove the torx screws from behind the wheel after rotating each way to gain access. Pull airbag back and disconnect airbag connection. Remove nut on steering wheel without breaking the wheel-lock- i.e. key in ignition in ON position (two person job- one holds wheel, another works wrench). Use puller to pull wheel, disconnect any other wiring. Don't mess up contact wheel or rotate it AT ALL (or you'll ruin it once it's reinstalled cause it will max out in one direction or the other). Transfer contact wheel to new steering wheel. Align alignment peg on contact wheel when presenting new wheel to shaft. Make connections. TIghten nut. Install Airbag. Connect battery. Hope for no spontaneious deployment or error codes.

That's the procesure. If you need more detail than that, well, then see my recommendation in my first response.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
Buy the service disk on e-bay for $29 and read it.

Clarification - is this the same info/manual as the pdf that is available on various forums (a 1031 page PDF with various bulletins, updates and technical info that I think was published for the MY3003-2004.

Just want to know if there is more written material that I'm missing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I want to replace the center cover of my steering wheel. It's de-laminating. Is it easy to get off? Does it just snap in place?
Thanks,

Kip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts