Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has come up in other threads a few times + in e-mails, so I'm starting its own thread.

First of all, stock QP wheel sizes: (lugs: 5x114mm)
Front (offset) [tire size], Rear (offset) [tire size]
18x8.5 (54mm) [245/45], 18x10.5 (46mm) [285/40]
19x8.5 (54mm) [245/40], 19x10.5 (46mm) [285/35]
20x8.5 (54mm) [245/35], 20x10.5 (46mm) [285/30]*
* I need to double check offset of the stock 20" wheels (unless someone else here can confirm that?)

Almost all of these are available on Tirerack - prices quoted from Tirerack.com unless otherwise noted.

Snow Tires:
245/45-18
+ Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 ($194-230)
Continental ContiWinterContact TS810S ($212)
+ Dunlop Winter Sport M3 ($217)
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST ($237)
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ($205)
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero ($199)

285/40-18
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero ($341)

245/40-19
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 98V (Not currently on Tirerack - listed on Pirelli's Site)
+ Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ($373 MSRP - Tirerack.com doesn't currently list these, however Dunlop's website does, with a dealer locator)

285/35-19
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 103V (Not currently on Tirerack - listed on Pirelli's Site - We can order these from Maserati)

245/35-19 (None available that I am aware of)
255/35-19 (A slight upsize that works fine)
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 97V (Not on Tirerack - Pirelli site)
+ Nokian WRG2 97W (Not on Tirerack - this is one we have ordered through our local Tires Plus)

285/30-20
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 99V ($394) - Dealers can order these directly from Maserati as well, but by the time you get them they've been marked up at least 2-3x

+ Recommended

Best Options
My personal preference - 4x 18x8.5 wheels and tires

This is the overall cheapest & easiest setup - you can rotate the tires year to year, you don't have to worry about the wheels getting eaten up, and its cheaper & safer than having tires mounted and dismounted every fall\spring.

The rear wheels will be inset a bit and look kind of funny, but we are working on finding a spacer that will move them out, or you could also order a different offset and have specific front and rear wheels. Makes rotation harder, but technically the better option vs. spacers.

For owners with Quattroportes with 19" wheels we have also just ordered two additional front wheels, and run the 245/45-19 Dunlops on all four. Good option if you want to keep the stock wheel size.

The 8.5" rear wheel width works better in the snow as it cuts down the skiing tendencies quite a bit. And as an added bonus the tires are usually cheaper.

I have only driven QP's on the 19x8.5 and 18x8.5 setups. Our demo is currently running on 18x8.5, as well as my GM's car. I've driven them in up to 4" of snow with good results. Snow tires in general don't have the performance our summer tires so, so you really aren't hurt much by the width decrease - performance seems to be pretty good and everything reacts predictably.

Wheels
We've been ordering Rial 18x8.5 wheels with 54mm offset x4 for the QP and GT's. You could order the different offset for the rear to get the correct outer width, but we prefer function over form on these, and the matching offset makes rotation much easier. We haven't been able to get the Rial's lately (unsure if its due to that size no longer being offered, or we bought up the stock, or what) so we have been buying Sport Editions. Both of these are\were available directly from Tirerack, although you may have to call to get what you really want.

Links:
Tires:
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catal...ER.xml&prodotto=14668&vehicleType=CAR-SUV-VAN
http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/size.jsp

Wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...odel=Porto&wheelFinish=Bright+Satin+Sil+Paint
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...el=CD&wheelFinish=Bright+Satin+w/Machined+Lip

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gran Turismo: (same lugs 5x114)
Front (offset) [tire size], Rear (offset) [tire size]
19x8.5 (?) [245/40], 19x10.5 (?) [285/40]
19x8.5 (?) [245/45], 19x10.5 (?) [285/40]**
20x8.5 (?) [245/35], 20x10.5 (?) [285/35]
**Different factory recommended winter tire sizes
- Offset - I believe they are the same or very close to the QP, but I need to double check this

245/45-19
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 102V (On their site)

285/40-19
+ Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero 103V (on their site)

We have used the same 18" setup from our QPs on the GTs with no problems. I need to get ahold of the specs for the offsets, but I'm guessing there isn't any real issue with using the 18's - since you're not going to be throwing the thing around in the winter anyway.

- Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great to have authoritative information - Thanks.
Can you give me similar winter tire/wheel specs and recommendations for my 2006 GranSport?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
well done!!!!!!!!!
but i m not driving my QP in the snow or when its too cold.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Why not cold?

well done!!!!!!!!!
but i m not driving my QP in the snow or when its too cold.
I understand why you wouldn't want to drive in snow; I wouldn't either. Not just the risk, but why splatter salt all over the car. But I am curious about the cold. If the roads are dry, are you concerned about the soft tires in the cold, or operating the engine in cold? I wouldn't have thought the latter would be an issue.:confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I understand why you wouldn't want to drive in snow; I wouldn't either. Not just the risk, but why splatter salt all over the car. But I am curious about the cold. If the roads are dry, are you concerned about the soft tires in the cold, or operating the engine in cold? I wouldn't have thought the latter would be an issue.:confused:
As long as the roads are dry and free of ice, I take my GranSport out all winter - car performs great even below freezing, but you need to be cautious about tire grip until tires warm up (5 or 10 miles) - the improvement in traction is dramatic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Someones always gotta make things difficult!! ;)

Just kiddin - I'll dig back through the archives and see if I can get that stuff together. Might as well get that on the same thread.
Thanks - winter driving with the Gransport has always been a concern, because there are virtually no winter tire or all-season tires available in the OEM 19" tire sizes. Buying 18" wheels and winter tires is the factory-recommened approach but comes out to a $3,500 proposition.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mark: Any update on winter tires/wheels for the GranSport?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts