Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- it's winter in Canada now, so the Maser is going to have to hibernate for a few months. The car is being stored in a heated, ventilated and dryg, but slightly dusty garage with various other exotics.

I'm planning to increase the pressure in the tires up to about 36 psi, but otherwise want to avoid all the start up electronics sequences that would be caused by disconnecting the battery as well as being unable to have that annoying auto window lowering when opening the doors. I can start her up every month but the garage cannot accomodate a trickle charger.

I'm not planning a cover, as I prefer to leave the freshly waxed car with only a light flannel sheet over the windshield but otherwise uncovered.

I wonder if any of you have further suggestions or comments on long term storage.

thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. It has been 15 months since I left T.O. for the Valley of the Sun and the biggest thing I miss is the seeing the Leafs play.
Regarding your car, I would definitely unhook the battery as you may risk damage and having to replace it. Also, leave the car with a full tank of gas to prevent condensation and add a fuel stabilizer for what it may be worth.
Flat spots should not be an issue but inflate tires to atleast 50lbs.
Good luck with a long and painful wait. :cry:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nevinsimon,

If the garage is heated and ventilated you will have electricity, and it would be easy to install a power point near the car. The battery won't like occasional startups - a forty mile run is minimum, so I suggest a CTEK charger. I use one on my GS and am delighted with it. No need to disconnect the battery - just attach the clips to the terminals, or use the "hard-wiring" connection included with the charger, and leave it as long as you like.

http://www.ctek.com/US/home.asp
(Multi US 3300 for your car).

The other essential is air movement. Maybe your ventilation is adequate for this, but I use a 14" desk fan mounted high on one wall - gets rid of the moisture in the air completely.

I would also put the pressures up to 40 lbs and move the car a few inches forwards or backwards throughout the winter - maybe every month - just to vary the contact patch.

Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
McNab
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing