Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to think about winter and battery care for my GS. My dealer recommended the Baterry Tender device to maintain optimal battery charge and conditioning over the winter. The ads for Battery Tender, Battery Minder and other similar devices all make the same claims. Anyone have experience with these devices? Do they work as advertised? Are they really necessary if I plan to start my car every few weeks in the winter?
Appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you drive your car (not just start it) every three weeks or so, then you don't really need the battery tender. That's as long as you don't arm the alarm, which draws enough power to run the battery flat in a couple of weeks.

But if you forget to run it for four of five weeks, you will flatten your battery enough to permanently shorten its life. The battery tender will give you protection from this circumstance.

If you start your car, it's best to drive it to get it all the way to operating temp to evaporate volatiles and water from the engine oil. If you can't, you are better off not starting it at all, and keeping the battery charged through other means.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Agreed;

If you're not going to actually drive the car every few weeks, its better to go through a proper winterizing, and leave it.

You'll want to make sure you have the drivers door open when you do this procedure. It will keep the window dropped down about an inch, so when you close and open the door it won't catch in the a-pillar, or dent on closing. Make sure you've got your keys in your pockets, unlock the car with the remote, pop the trunk, and turn the battery switch to the off position.

You can either leave the battery in the car with the tender, just be sure everything is well ventilated, or remove the battery from the car entirely and put it all on a shelf or table off the floor. I prefer to remove batteries to be safe, but it's probably fine either way. You can leave the trunk ajar if the battery is in the car, which should ensure proper insulation, and you won't wonder how to get back in in the spring. (The key is above the license plate, but when you turn it you'll think you might break something)

In the spring, hook it back up, de-winterize, and you should be ready to rock. You might need the radio code though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Winterization.....

So since we are on the topic of Winterization, in my younger days, when I was a marine master mech, we used to take the batteries out of the boats, put them on the battery bench, was made out of wood, and we would keep a slow trickle charge on them once a month to make sure they were maintained over the winter. We checked the acid/water level, etc. I can see how doing the same with the Maserati is a good idea, should never put a battery on a cold concrete floor, kills them real quick, etc.. But I have another question...

Since the Maserati Engine is sitting idle for a period of time as well, should there not be a procedure to "Fog" the engine down? Since once or more cylinders will always have open valves, and with temperature changes you can get condensation in those open cylinders, you could end up with some minor rust in those cylinders which kills engine life. For boats we used to start the engine, drizzle 2 stroke oil down the intake until the engine was smoking nicely, coating the cylinders with oil and then turn off the engine, thus coating the engine in oil to keep this rust out... Is there a similar procedure for a Maserati?

I know we also used to put Stable-Stor in the gas tank as well, any procedure on that?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Fuel stabilizer is definitely a good idea. I use Sta-bil in my motorcycles.

There's also the mandatory coolant flush and oil change, and brake fluid should be flushed every two years. Especially important in climates requiring winterizing \ storage.

I'm not sure how big of a deal fogging is, since most of the surfaces are aluminum. I'm not sure if the rings \ misc steel hardware is a big worry for the duration its in storage. I'd almost wonder if trying to fog it with marvel oil or whatever would do more harm to the sensors between intake and cylinders than good..

I'll talk to my service manager and see what he thinks on that side of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts