Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, getting my windshield replaced shortly. First off I did tell the insurance company I want OEM. Next they said I need to get the car recalibrated. Recalibrate what? There’s no lane departure sensor. The rear view mirror holds I think a light sensor. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,592 Posts
As I understand it ( I’ve had two windshields replaced ) no aftermarket windshields are available for our cars so you can only get the OEM one, thus insurance companies have no choice bit to pay for that one. As for “calibration”, there is nothing to calibrate…the rear view mirror is not electronically connected to the windshield ( as far as I know ) and any light sensors in it would be self contained . Rain sensors calibration maybe ? In any event , i never saw a charge in the invoices for calibration of anything when I had the windshields replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand it ( I’ve had two windshields replaced ) no aftermarket windshields are available for our cars so you can only get the OEM one, thus insurance companies have no choice bit to pay for that one. As for “calibration”, there is nothing to calibrate…the rear view mirror is not electronically connected to the windshield ( as far as I know ) and any light sensors in it would be self contained . Rain sensors calibration maybe ? In any event , i never saw a charge in the invoices for calibration of anything when I had the windshields replaced.
Thank you

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just had mine replaced last fall. You’re right Dan, couldn’t find anything but OEM. That’s what glass insurance is for…

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had mine replaced last fall. You’re right Dan, couldn’t find anything but OEM. That’s what glass insurance is for…
That’s funny how the insurance doesn’t mention that only OEM windshields are available, like they are doing me a favor when I asked for original equipment

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is procedure to save your windshield from debris, theres a company that layers a protective film over it.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,592 Posts
There is procedure to save your windshield from debris, theres a company that layers a protective film over it.
Most ceramic coating, or clear bra, or paint protection film, shops will do the windshield film as well. I had that done right after the second windshield replacement . Not cheap, about
$ 800 , but if it saves the windshield from even half of what would normally chip or crack it , it’s worth it to me. Sure, insurance pays, but I hate the hassle of dealing with a broken windshield and waiting for the replacement. The second one was quick, the first replacement however took six weeks + to source the part, none of the dealers in the US had one in stock at the time ( or so they claimed that‘s what their shared inventory system showed ) Or maybe they just didn’t want to part with one to send to an independent shop 😟, so they can charge and arm and a leg for the service also if done at the dealer .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most ceramic coating, or clear bra, or paint protection film, shops will do the windshield film as well. I had that done right after the second windshield replacement . Not cheap, about
$ 800 , but if it saves the windshield from even half of what would normally chip or crack it , it’s worth it to me. Sure, insurance pays, but I hate the hassle of dealing with a broken windshield and waiting for the replacement. The second one was quick, the first replacement however took six weeks + to source the part, none of the dealers in the US had one in stock at the time ( or so they claimed that‘s what their shared inventory system showed ) Or maybe they just didn’t want to part with one to send to an independent shop 😟, so they can charge and arm and a leg for the service also if done at the dealer .
yes, expensive option.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ya I put an exo-shield on my new one. Was $600 Canuck bucks to get it. Don’t want the hassle of dealing with insurance ever couple years fit a new one. It was a 3 month process from the first call to my insurance to when I drove the car back from the dealer. 5 weeks of that was waiting for delivery of the glass. Luckily the major cracks were passenger side so I could still drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts