Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of reviving a nearly one year old thread, I’m following the forum‘s sage advice of starting a new one.. ;)

In early November of last year , after my second cracked windshield replacement, I decided to spend $ 800 ( approx., if I recall correctly.. ) on a protective film, just to avoid the hassle associated with the wait for sourcing the OE glass , not to mention filing a $3,000 + claim with my insurance company too frequently..
Reporting now, as this is closing in on almost a year later ; the film is starting to get a little hazy / cloudy and although not that bad, it’s still annoying not to have the clarity it once had. And it’s really more noticeable if you look simultaneously with the corner of your eye outside the driver’s window and the windshield, where the latter just looks like a hazy day out there, while the driver window view is crystal clear . I called the shop and they pointed out the 1 year warranty only applies if there is a manufacturing defect in the film, or there was bad installation which may cause the film to bubble, or peel off, etc..but some discoloration with the passage of time and cloudiness “ is normally expected “… ok , but just in less than one year ?! WTF .
So in spite of the risk of road debris cracking my windshield again, driving with this is too annoying to continue, so this weekend I’m removing the film. I looked up a few instructional videos and it seems to be a simple process by just heating it with a hairdryer or a steam machine while you’re peeling it off, and supposedly it leaves almost no residue, and it just needs to me simply wiped off with some Windex or other glass cleaner. So fingers crossed for both back to a completely clear windshield, and no rocks being jettisoned at it by other cars and trucks, while driving on highways.. 😒

· Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
766 Posts
Yeah, replacing once a year would be pricy to say the least...curious to see if you can remove the haze or not.....let us know!

· Registered
768 Posts
I had one put on mine this spring for $600CDN. Ya it’s not as clear but it’s saved me already! Installed windshield here is about $5k. The instructions say not to use any washer fluids on it that contain ammonia or it’ll ruin it. Does yours say that too Dan?

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn’t see that warning on any of the materials which were provided at the time of the installation ( but maybe I didn’t pay close attention to it ) nor did the shop say anything about that.. and I don’t know if my wiper fluid contains ammonia, although I rarely use it so I’m hoping that’s not what contributed to the haze.. I called the shop today and they said none of the cleaners / polishers will work on the film to clear it up, but I’m still going to give it a try on a one square inch in the lower passenger side corner of the windshield and see what happens ..

· Registered
768 Posts
Didn’t see that warning on any of the materials which were provided at the time of the installation ( but maybe I didn’t pay close attention to it ) nor did the shop say anything about that.. and I don’t know if my wiper fluid contains ammonia, although I rarely use it so I’m hoping that’s not what contributed to the haze.. I called the shop today and they said none of the cleaners / polishers will work on the film to clear it up, but I’m still going to give it a try on a one square inch in the lower passenger side corner of the windshield and see what happens ..
My installer didn't say anything but it was in the small writing in the warranty info I had emailed to me. Most washer fluids contain ammonia cuz it helps them to evaporate and not streak.

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My installer didn't say anything but it was in the small writing in the warranty info I had emailed to me. Most washer fluids contain ammonia cuz it helps them to evaporate and not streak.
Yeah, I just read that most fluids do have ammonia . But they say it's the alcohol content ( which is the largest ingredient ) is what prevents streaks , ammonia just helps remove crap, but adversely impacts any film...

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Removed the film today. ( with help from my friend / neighbor ). For those of you who might plan to do this at some point in time, it’s not as easy of a task as the YouTube instructional videos would suggest . Even more importantly, contrary to those same videos or whatever you find on the internet and what the manufacturer may tell you, using heat or steam to loosen the adhesive only makes the work much harder becuase the film gets very flimsy and tears up all the time so peeling it off becomes a PITA chore . The start of the job where you’re peeling the edges is by far the most difficult part of this process ; we used a utility blade to remove enough of the film on all sides , slowly and very carefully , until there was enough of it rolled up where you can grab a large potion of it with both hands and then start pulling it away from the windshield. Also slowly and it does take quite a bit of force, but it does eventually cooperate enough to stay whole so you can remove it. The leftover adhesive is only on the edges as well, but comes off with alcohol in no time .

· Premium Member
766 Posts
Oh wow, sorry to hear...thought it might be the same thickness as window tint which comes up easily using a steamer (with out tearing) So is it thinner, or thicker material? I would think it would be thicker to repel stones...sorry, just trying to learn about something I haven't really researched yet...Glad the alcohol worked...working for me right now! :ROFLMAO: 🍻

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It‘s significantly thicker than the ones used for window tinting . I’ve had tint film which was removed ( police gave me a fix-it ticket because it was on a car which I bought from out of state with a tint shade which was too dark for allowable California parameters ..but I digress… ) so I remember that film very well.
However, as thick by comparison as the windshield one is, it’s still thin enough to tear if you pull it up to fast, and also does crumple up a bit once you peel it off .
I’m just really disappointed it started to get hazy so soon. At least it was consistent throughout the entire film, it’s not as if one spot was worse or better than another spot , it was very even. And hazy is a subjective term so I don’t want to give anyone the impression that is was all that bad, if I had taken pictures of it up close and compare it with pictures of the windows it‘s doubtful anyone could tell the difference, but it was just discernible enough to start driving me nuts, because once you notice something like that, as minor as it may be, you just pay attention to it all the time. And yup, alcohol helped ….both types of alcohol …one for the car , the other for the owner ;)

· Premium Member
766 Posts
I'm the same way...it would probable bug me too...just like a door ding...gota have it fixed or my eyes go to it every time...Cheers

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, like I said it didn't look terrible ; only a very, very slight haze effect but still just enough to bug me... that's until I drove the car after removing the film . It's a significant difference ! Crystal clear vision now . I think I just got used to the way it was.. and didn't realize how much of a difference there really is.
Now I just have to live with the risk of another piece of debris / pebble, etc. cracking my windshield , but the roads and highways here are so much better than where I previously lived and commuted, with 90% less trucks carrying crap , vs. the highway where I had two windshileds cracked , it's still a risk but far less of a probability. Fingers crossed..

· Premium Member
766 Posts
Good to know...don't think I'll ever go that route; my eyes would freak out I think lol...
I'll just stay as far away from trucks as I can! The 605 fwy here is polluted with semi's, but I usually run on the 55 to Newport, not many trucks on that one.
Good luck to you Dan, you don't need to do a third one by my count!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts