Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for Josh at ECS for helping me with the parts. He saved my bacon a bit by getting a new "water shield." There is no way to get that thing off without ripping it, thin foam with SUPER sticky stuff holding it to the car.

First: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/quattroporte/15889-diy-how-remove-front.html

Read that. The door panel is very easy to remove, just follow the instructions.

After that you will need to disconnect the door pull, and a number of electrical connectors. They are a mix of fold over and press release connectors. The one near the front actually stays together, chase the wires to where they connect to the door. You will find a few velcro strips holding wires down. Unplug from the door itself.

First picture is the water shield. The white thing...
regulator  013.jpg

Next is the attachment for the door latch. Don't forget to put this back in the connector when you put the door back together... Not that I did that or anything.
regulator  012.jpg

Here is one of the couple slide connectors. These have a lever on the top with a stop. Push the stop in and slide the lever, the connector comes apart very easy. The other connectors are standard pressure connectors with a small latch. Make sure that when you put it all back together that the stop is in.

regulator  011.jpg

Sticky stuff. Get it ALL off. Takes a while but it will come off

regulator  010.jpg

Tape your window up. It *WILL* fall if you don't. (and probably shatter)
regulator  009.jpg

Here is the right hand side of the regulator. The old one is underneath in the door. Just to give you an idea of how it sits in the car. Notice that the motor has a bolt on it (rubber mount).

regulator  008.jpg

Here is the left side.

regulator  007.jpg

This is the left side window bolt. This needs a 10mm wiggle socket as it is at a slight angle.

regulator  006.jpg

Right hand side, nothing special. Just a 10mm bolt.

regulator  005.jpg

Here is the connector for the motor. It is just behind this portion of an interior water shield. Disconnect without removing the shield, just be careful.

So as for instructions, it is a straight forward job. There are 7 bolts/nuts to undo. Two on the left support, One on the left window connector. Then two on the right support, one on the motor and one on the right window connector. Undo all of them and your window should stay exactly where it was if you did everything right.

The regulator will come out of the bottom hole, just give it a few minutes of fiddling. Be VERY careful about the interior water shield. You can do this without damaging it.

Then slide the new regulator up and in. All of it goes in, the left hand side has two bolts on the unit right out of the box. Leave them on. Push it up and into the openings and back down (it will be obvious when you see it.) Then do the same on the right side. Make sure the galvanized metal window connectors are on the inside of the window connectors. Bolt it all down and viola. Done.

It is VERY fiddly to get it in, but it does work.

Then put everything else back together, though I would plug the two middle connectors into the door panel and turn on the car to make sure all of the electronics are working.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is why they break:

The first two pictures are of the white slide, with the cable connector portion broken.

regulator  003.jpg
regulator  001.jpg

Look at it and compare to the red one, which is unbroken.

regulator  002.jpg

That bit of plastic is all that goes bad. Which sucks, there is no replacement for just that bit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow! This is like déjà vu... My window regulator broke on Friday and I replaced it on Saturday just like you showed on here. It broke in exactly the same spot as yours did. It was actually an easy job. Bought the whole assembly and put it in less than half an hour.

Great write up and pictures. Very helpful information for someone has to do this job.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fantastic write-up, Scot! Now I am prepared for when this eventuates.

Two questions please:
1. Do you think the broken bit is fixable with a piece of metal "taped" over the broken bit with superglue to give it strength? Or is the shape too jagged for a metal piece to sit evenly?

2. Do you think the cable got caught somewhere or was this some lubricant running dry that resulted in this, or was this just failure from chronic plastic fatigue? If this was lubrication issue, I suppose we can lubricate it prophylactically once every 3 years to prevent it from happening...

·
Registered
905 Posts
How much were the individual parts to purchase?

Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jinster: everything looks functional. I think the best action is to clean and lube the window tracks. The parts inside looked perfect with the factory lube still in good condition.

It COULD be fixable via adding more material. I think the stress just hits that one part and over time it snaps the plastic bits.

Cost is <$250 for both the water shield and regulator.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just an FYI Maserati came out with a newer updated regulator for the QP's. Since the new style/part# has been out I have sold a lot less regulators. Seems to be a little more durable than the previous design. Not sure what they did, just sharing the sales history.

Regulators are around $200 retail.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Also, what is that tool you have on your thumb? Is it used to remove the gummy stuff underneath the rain-shield?! I gotta get me one of those thingies.

;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHA! While none of my girls had any idea what a Maserati was before getting into my car, or really understanding my "But look, this part says ferrari on it" crazy eyed fervor, they do like the thumb ring. And that's what really matters.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My passenger side rear window stopped working two days ago. I can put the window up with my hands. I'm guessing it's only the regulator. I just ordered the regulator from Maserati of Sacramento. Thanks in advance for this tutorial. =)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just an FYI Maserati came out with a newer updated regulator for the QP's. Since the new style/part# has been out I have sold a lot less regulators. Seems to be a little more durable than the previous design. Not sure what they did, just sharing the sales history.

Regulators are around $200 retail.
Thank you for sharing that info.

Could you please provide part# to this new & improved window regulator. So when ordering in the future, one can know if it's given the old or new style regulator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for sharing that info.

Could you please provide part# to this new & improved window regulator. So when ordering in the future, one can know if it's given the old or new style regulator.
This is the number for the regulator I bought 84934400. I'm not sure if it's the new one, but so far it works like champ!! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is the number for the regulator I bought 84934400. I'm not sure if it's the new one, but so far it works like champ!! :2thumbsup:
Thank You.

Time to call around to find out if that is the new one or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fixed

Had the same thing happen the other day to my driver's side door. Thought someone had thrown a big rock at me.

Purchased the part from the new dealership in Jacksonville for $188.00, and they shipped it that day. It took me about about 1.5 hours (first time), but next time about 30 mins tops.

Anyway, easy to fix and quick delivery from Jacksonville. I think anyone with a bit of time could save ~500 bucks in labor.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time for everything

I'm new to the forum and to owning a Maserati, just got my 2008 QP about 2 weeks ago. Within that time I have already lost one of my window regulators. Drivers side rear if it makes any difference. Anyhow, after removing the door panel and the regulator, I see that it has failed in the same manner as posted in this thread. The white plastic clip gave up.

So, I'm wondering if anyone as saved the clips out of their old regulator, as it looks like you could easily remove and swap the metal bracket from both clips and attach the bracket that was on the white one to the unbroken red clip and use this to repair any subsequent failures. I plan to keep these parts from my first replacement just in case this is possible.

Curious in the meantime if anyone has tried it in the past? I figure this would cut the cost of repair down to $400 for all 4 windows in the absolute worst case.

BTW thanks to the forum for the door panel removal instructions. Nice and easy when it's all detailed out! Also, while ther was a fair amount of grease on the slides still, almost none of it was left under the sliding plastic clips, probably lending itself to the failure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All
I'm looking for 08'QP window Regulator motor at this moment.but seens regulator motor didn't Sold separately from dealership or partshop.
I'll pay the reasonable price for your regulator motor that with working condition.
Let me know if you had used for sale plz.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts