Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through the Maserati website and promotional materials (see the 2005 catalogue), Maserati encourages their "personalization" program. How, precisely, does that work with dealers? For example, does each dealer have an allocation of how many "personalized" or "on order" vehicles the dealership is allowed each calendar (or production) year? Or may any dealership order a vehicle for a customer?

If there is an allocation system--as there is with many brands--how many allocations does a dealer average each year? And when does the new year begin?

Mark has passed on that 2006 production has begun. Does this mean that the 2006 allocations are allotted as well? In other words, have the allocation numbers been reset? If not at this time, when do they? And if they do, will they differ from the previous year based on gross Maserati sales?

Sorry for the number of questions, but from my experience asking an LA dealer today about how one might order a GranSport, I expect I'll have to search all over to get a straight answer.

jrb

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not sure about cars, but with the motorcycle dealership I worked with, they ordered a large # of bikes at the beginning of the year--say if they planned on selling 100 bikes that year, they'd order 65 or so of them right away. As production came on line those bikes trickled in, so it wasn't like we just had 65 bikes sitting on the showroom. Depending on how sales went, we'd order new bikes through the year. Special order bikes could still be ordered until the annual capacity was sold out. Depending on the popularity of the model, that could be any time through the year.

I don't think allocation limits would be a problem. Given the huge discounts dealers are giving for Maseratis, I wouldn't think they'd have any issue getting a new car for you--I don't think production capacity is what's holding them back. When I was looking at cars they said it was a 5 month wait but that they could order anything I wanted. In any case, better to ask early in a year's production run rather than later when all the cars are spoken for.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am happy to comment on this for you, however I do not personally order cars, so I do not know the exact terms of the system. I know what I have observed..

Dealers are allocated a certain number of cars, and many pre-order configured cars to their tastes. Many customers prefer to personalize their cars, and this does not necessarily count against a dealers allocation. If you want to build one, you will have one built.

I know we pre-order cars, but then we have a certain amount of time to make changes. So if we have a car pre-ordered, but it hasn't come up to build time yet, we can re-set that car as a customer wishes, and have the car built for them sooner. Basically saving them a spot in line.

I think our allocation of Quattroporte's for the 05 model year was like 4, and we sold double that.

Maserati's official release says that the 2006 model year cars went into production in July. I believe this was after the standard Italian "summer break".

- Mark

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are however a limited number of certain cars, ie the GranSport, and 90th anniv Spyder that dealers are limited in the number they will recieve. We sold our 90th anniv car, so we bought another one from another dealership. If they have already built and allocated as many as they will for the year, that's it. I think most Maserati dealerships are happy to sell amongst each other though.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Once again confirmed and proven that some shameless dealership (certain LA dealers) would do and say whatever to get rid of their inventory.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Los Angeles Dealer referral

In my experience, you can call Obi at the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills. He sold me my car and didn't give me any B.S. He is a straight shooter.

I felt like I needed to take a shower after visiting other L.A. dealers. Maybe there are some other good ones out there but not in 2003 when I got my car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mvarat:

The information that I received was from a salesman at the Auto Gallery's Ferrarri/Maserati Center: although not from Obi.

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are pretty strict rules in place for new car sales geography vs. dealerships, so we can only sell new Masers in the upper midwest, however we sell used nationwide, and we will treat you right. Not only for pre-owned Maserati sales, as our inventory is extensive amongst our dealer group. If we don't have something someone is looking for, we can easily find it.

If you've had a bad experience elsewhere, give us a call.

- Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Los Angeles Dealer referral

mvarat said:
In my experience, you can call Obi at the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills. He sold me my car and didn't give me any B.S. He is a straight shooter.

I felt like I needed to take a shower after visiting other L.A. dealers. Maybe there are some other good ones out there but not in 2003 when I got my car.
Michael:

To my surprise, I heard from Obi today. It turns out that Maserati contacted him when they read my account of my experience that I wrote on the "Contact Us" section of their website. I explained in the note to Maserati that I came away very confused about the status of the Coupe and GranSport, as well as the possibility of ordering one.

Obi assured me that indeed Maserati are (to use the Brit form) making '06 Coupes and GranSports--that, in fact, he just received one; and that you certainly can order an '06 GranSport. He also assured me that his dealership has allocations available.

He did seem genuinely confused by my account. I'm inclined to believe him: although I suppose he could be a very good actor. It is hard to imagine that, with an '06 coming in in just a few days, the GM would encourage his salespeople to tell fairy tales--that might kill sales-- to prospective customers. I'm willing to at least entertain the notion that I had the misfortune to encounter a wayward, or--to put the best face on it--a sorrowfully ill-informed salesman. (The salesman didn't even know that BMW has a Cambiocorsa (SMG) transmission available on current as well as upcoming models. He kept insisting it was a sorry little pushbutton thingy: thinking I'm sure of Tiptronics on Porsches and the past generation of Audis.)

So, I'll return and deal directly with Obi; and I'll certainly be contacting Maserati of Orange County as well, since that dealership also comes with a solid recommendation.

If I may, one question: If you have had your car in for service, how is the service department at the LA Auto Gallery? Compounding concerns with smarmy dealerships, is a concern about the reports I've received about incompetent Los Angeles service of Maseratis. What's been your experience?

Thanks in advance,

jrb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
jrb
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing