Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get a body shop to spray the whole car the factory color? If I do that, will it help or hurt resale? The car is covered with tiny little scratches everywhere. You breathe on this thing and it scratches. I think the bodywork is made of jello pudding.

·
Registered
65 Posts
An alternative to respraying the car body is to polish off the scratches. Since they are only "tiny little" scratches, it shouldn't be much of an issue for an experienced polisher. Factory paint is supposedly the best so if possible, keep it on till without a choice.

squid said:
Can I get a body shop to spray the whole car the factory color? If I do that, will it help or hurt resale? The car is covered with tiny little scratches everywhere. You breathe on this thing and it scratches. I think the bodywork is made of jello pudding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, it will kill your resale.

It will never look the same. I would go for a massive buff/detail job

·
Registered
695 Posts
Speaking from a Kali-fornia perspective, a proper front respray does not hurt resale in this state. It is common practice for exotics - due to the amount of debris on our freeways.

What will effect resale is the quality of the respray. A professional respray equals a caring owner. OTOH, I turned down a opportunity to purchase a below market value 360 spyder - the front bumper paint looked to be sprayed from a can. After seeing that it was easy to spot the other maintenace "short-cuts". I didn't walk away from the car - I ran.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Front bumper resprays are pretty common in Minnesota as well, and on particular cars - like Porsche 911s and Ferrari 360s. Unless the car has had a 3M clear bra installed, which I really see no reason not to have done. It costs less than a quality respray, and pays for itself on resale. A good quality front respray will be as good as factory or better, and will be nearly impossible to spot. There is a huge difference between a quality job and a quickie - color match\blending, orange peel, fisheyes, tape lines, overspray, hardware, etc. And for the most part you get what you pay for.

It sounds more like you're dealing with all over wash marks, which we usually take care of with a claybar, and then buffing the car, followed by a good paint sealant and wax.

I'd really recommend starting with that type of work first, since it will cost far less, and there is a hell of a lot less opportunity to permanently destroy your paint. I would say 8/10 black cars that we do this process on are restored to like new quality, provided its wash and wear marks, and not actual damage to the paint.

If you can catch a thumbnail in the scratch, its too deep.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Front bumper resprays are pretty common in Minnesota as well, and on particular cars - like Porsche 911s and Ferrari 360s. Unless the car has had a 3M clear bra installed, which I really see no reason not to have done. It costs less than a quality respray, and pays for itself on resale. A good quality front respray will be as good as factory or better, and will be nearly impossible to spot. There is a huge difference between a quality job and a quickie - color match\blending, orange peel, fisheyes, tape lines, overspray, hardware, etc. And for the most part you get what you pay for.

It sounds more like you're dealing with all over wash marks, which we usually take care of with a claybar, and then buffing the car, followed by a good paint sealant and wax.

I'd really recommend starting with that type of work first, since it will cost far less, and there is a hell of a lot less opportunity to permanently destroy your paint. I would say 8/10 black cars that we do this process on are restored to like new quality, provided its wash and wear marks, and not actual damage to the paint.

If you can catch a thumbnail in the scratch, its too deep.

- Mark
Great info MoM! Thanks! I have a '98 black 540i with 160k miles. I've abused the crap out of the car. It hasn't been garaged for 1 1/2 years. Left outside in rain, sleet, hail.. name it. Monday I had to pry the driver door open to get in after an ice storm. I've even had those big blue wet rugs dragged over my car at the $5.00 car wash. At one time it had more swirls in it than I've ever seen in a car.

We went to a Dallas Symphony concert so I had the car detailed. It looked so good the vallet parked it out front and I swear it still looks a year or two old. In short, that's why I picked a nero coupe CC. Plenty of experience with a black car. When they look bad, they're nasty. When they look good, there's no other color! Have faith in your factory paint.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i agree with everyone. i do not know how much $$,$$$ you will have to spend for a proper respray of the entire car, but it will certainly instantly increase your cost to try to boost your resale value.

the most cost effective way is to start with a proper car detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts