Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from wife. She has been driving her 06 GranSport to and from work without any issue for over 6 weeks until this am when she said it struggled to start and when it finally fired up, the CEL and PSI and Volt lights all stayed on during her short drive. She stopped by Auto Zone and they said the battery at 12.3 needs charge but it still good. She drove to work without any issue. Is this an alternator issue and/or battery or something else? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is fairly new so it’s likely the former. How many labor hours does it require to replace the alternator? Do you sell them?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The battery is fairly new so it’s likely the former. How many labor hours does it require to replace the alternator? Do you sell them?
Have the charging system tested before you even google the word "alternator." regardless of age or appearance, 4/5 chance it's the battery. I

·
Registered
353 Posts
+1 on testing. If it's a short drive to work and the car was parked over the weekend the battery may just need charging. Do you have a battery maintainer (Ctec or similar) to keep the battery charged when not in use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on testing. If it's a short drive to work and the car was parked over the weekend the battery may just need charging. Do you have a battery maintainer (Ctec or similar) to keep the battery charged when not in use?
No but looking online right now at Battery Plus trickle charger now. Will check out Ctec. Is there one better than other? Grateful for everyone’s guidance. Thanks so much

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upon reading up reviews, just ordered the Ctec 7002 charger and fingers crossed. Thanks again to all who chimed in and shared your knowledge

·
Registered
822 Posts
Good choice on going with CTEK. Simple to use and quite needed on any exotic or niche car.

3,472 Posts
I'm not sure a trickle charger is gonna fix your issue honestly..You shouldn't have to charge a car that doesn't sit and the charging system is working properly...The alternator puts out way more electricity than a trickle charger.... I would get it looked at before you let your wife drive it again as it just could quit on her....Jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not sure a trickle charger is gonna fix your issue honestly..You shouldn't have to charge a car that doesn't sit and the charging system is working properly...The alternator puts out way more electricity than a trickle charger.... I would get it looked at before you let your wife drive it again as it just could quit on her....Jason
I'm aware this is a piece of string kind of question, but do you have a sense of how much use a car needs each week to keep the battery in decent shape? I can't attach a trickle charger. Thanks.

3,472 Posts
Like once a week or two...Car batteries are meant to get used...Picture a bucket of water as the battery...You spill the bucket to start the car and fill it back up as you drive...Letting it sit just kills a battery as they are not meant for this.. Jason

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Every Ferrari and Maserati I have experience with is a little rough on batteries. No idea why, and some worse than others. The front engine Ferraris and the QP are especially hard and the rear engine Ferraris and the CC/GS cars are a little better. I replace my QP battery every year or two, regardless of warranty. It's $149.00 for the peace of mind.

One thing also to keep in mind is that the lack of battery power typically doesn't trigger any faults. If you disconnect the battery then later reconnect, the car should show no faults. However, if the battery is left to drain on its own due to sitting or a weak cell, various electronic components reach their threshold on minimum power and begin to shut down one at a time and that's when your dash turns into Las Vegas.

I'd definitely follow Jason's advice and get the electrical system looked at and replace what is needed soon. Once the car shuts down due to lack of charge, your car may throw several faults not related to the root problem and that can make it difficult for the tech servicing the car.

Finally, IF it turns out to be an alternator issue, go brand new. Do not install a rebuild. Many replacement parts of the Denso alternators, although common, are sourced in China (brushes, bearings, etc.) and will fail long before the parts on a factory fresh unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a call from wife. She has been driving her 06 GranSport to and from work without any issue for over 6 weeks until this am when she said it struggled to start and when it finally fired up, the CEL and PSI and Volt lights all stayed on during her short drive. She stopped by Auto Zone and they said the battery at 12.3 needs charge but it still good. She drove to work without any issue. Is this an alternator issue and/or battery or something else? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I bought a trickle charger for my 2014 ... Dealer Service actually recommended it and CTEK can match one for your vehicle ... Dealer Service also said these cars need continuous driving of 30 minutes to keep these batteries at top charge ... so numerous short in city trips just will not keep it charged fully.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Did you get it checked?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Every Ferrari and Maserati I have experience with is a little rough on batteries. No idea why, and some worse than others. The front engine Ferraris and the QP are especially hard and the rear engine Ferraris and the CC/GS cars are a little better. I replace my QP battery every year or two, regardless of warranty. It's $149.00 for the peace of mind.

One thing also to keep in mind is that the lack of battery power typically doesn't trigger any faults. If you disconnect the battery then later reconnect, the car should show no faults. However, if the battery is left to drain on its own due to sitting or a weak cell, various electronic components reach their threshold on minimum power and begin to shut down one at a time and that's when your dash turns into Las Vegas.

I'd definitely follow Jason's advice and get the electrical system looked at and replace what is needed soon. Once the car shuts down due to lack of charge, your car may throw several faults not related to the root problem and that can make it difficult for the tech servicing the car.

Finally, IF it turns out to be an alternator issue, go brand new. Do not install a rebuild. Many replacement parts of the Denso alternators, although common, are sourced in China (brushes, bearings, etc.) and will fail long before the parts on a factory fresh unit.
I can confirm or concur. When I got my 02 Spyder it had a “good” battery, in the sense that it tested OK and would work fine, most days. But once in a while it would leave me stranded. It must have had a loose plate or internal connection. No amount of charging or trickle charging would resolve it. Put a new one in and no problems now for 12 months. $150 for a battery seems high, but it is a bargain compared to jumping past the battery and diving into the alternator first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts