Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is perhaps a more esoteric discussion as it does not precisely pertain to the Maserati brand, but I have noticed it during my recent car shopping to purchase a new Q6. I will use the term people generally and then buyers more specifically to mean people who own high-line vehicles.

So, from my perception people who own non-high-line brands Ford, GMC, Chevy VW seem generally pleased with their cars and generally do not complain much about their vehicle's build quality, warranty issues, recall issues, service issues, resale value, insurance rates or etc. Why?

As a long time (and current) mustang owner (garage car for car shows) I have a lot of complaints about lack of service, lack of build quality, warranty issues etc. However, neither I nor most of my peers (as I was coming up the ranks) really "griped"much about these issues.

However, high-line cars seem to be a different story. If I read Edmunds, car and driver, etc I never see them tearing up their general sales cars like the way I see people complain about their Jaguars, Landrovers, Mercs, BWM or Maserati. I also see a lot of negative comments about these brands from people I suspect don't own these brands and are not likely buyers of the brands.

So, what makes people more openly complain about high-line vehicles (seemingly) more than general sales cars. When I owned my dealership, it almost seemed like people expected their Fords, GMCs, Chevy's to have "issues" and they expected to have to go get them serviced. They expected squeaks, rattles or breakdowns.

As got out of college and into professional employment where I could afford nicer cars I started to notice how everyone had a generally negative opinion about build quality, warranty, fit/finish, depreciation, resale, warranty issues. I began to notice on the forums of my new brands, that comments and reviews of high-line cars (except BMW which seems to be loved by C&D and other journalist) just are never good enough (for anyone) and are often routinely condemned as overpriced wastes of money and time.

My working theory, is it that you just "expect more" when you pay for a high-line car, so ergo I guess it simply shouldn't have mechanical/electrical issues? It just shouldn't have squeaks and rattles?

If it isn't build quality, is the real root of the problem the type of people who are buyers of high-line brands? Buyers of these vehicles are likely (perhaps not always) but more demanding, commanding personality types. As you move to 60k+ for a vehicle you are likely moving into 100k+ income range which is self selective for individuals who may be more detail oriented, or demanding? Not always, but perhaps?

Without giving my thoughts yet, I thought I would see what you all thought or if I am honestly the only person who ponders these items?

·
Registered
667 Posts
So truth to your comments.

But like a "bell curve" some people just don't tend to have strong opinions (for or against).

My wife drives our 2016 Tahoe, before that she drove 2007 Tahoe, before that 2003 Yukon Denali....to her they all are the same and I don't think she even knows all three were different colors....to me I actually liked the 2007 Tahoe the best out of the three.

I love my Maserati Gran Turismo (even with its old Tech)....I drive a 2011 Ford Exp. and its just "Eh" to me....

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
" My working theory, is it that you just "expect more" when you pay for a high-line car, so ergo I guess it simply shouldn't have mechanical/electrical issues? It just shouldn't have squeaks and rattles? "

Yup, precisely my own thoughts ( and expectations ) on the matter !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
" Yup, precisely my own thoughts ( and expectations ) on the matter !
I wish the answer was that easy, but that seems like going there is giving an easy pass to the armies of reviewers and critics who fill pages and pages of magazines and journals with complaints about most high-line brands. (This ignores that there are certain "special" brands that seem to routinely receive endless praise regardless of the model (ie Porsche and BMW).

I also find a lot of negative comments (to the articles and online forums) simply trashing the high-line brands as overpriced garbage. I suspect these flippant attacks fall into three categories, 1) those who never have and never will own a high-line car and suffer from some type of class envy, 2) those who have had a very negative experience with a particular brand and 3) those who are die hard fans of some contrary brand and thus must talk down every other brand than theirs (invested team think).

Therein lies the conflict, I can discount the three sub groups above because they are not likely looking for a fair and balanced critical review of the brands, they are venting for a purpose (or trolling). The group that I am unable to understand are the automotive "expert" journalists who should realize that their reviews (which focus on the minimal issues for ratings) and critiquing the models as though the minimal issue is in fact material and substantive when they should acknowledge that their "hyper-critical complaint" is immaterial when compared to the shortcomings of most other vehicles.

To publish their reviews otherwise, smacks of bias.

[Disclaimer] Perhaps it bothers me more because these articles seem to routinely attack my brands (Jag, LR, Maserati, etc) which in turn makes me perceive bias because of my own team think bias. I don't think so, but I'm open to the concept of my own failings....just that is tough to concede that point when the empirical evidence seems to support my premise.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I don't know what there is to complain about, honestly. I sat in my friend's new Dodge Challenger he was so proud of, and was surrounded by rubber. Big square pieces of rubber, lining the dashboard and the doors. My Chevy Volt, same thing. It's all rubber all around. That's what I would complain about, that I have a car that's like a big hockey puck. When I get in my Maserati I'm surrounded by *leather* and it smells nice like that. So if it's quirky or imperfect in some other way I don't complain, I just sniff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
" My working theory, is it that you just "expect more" when you pay for a high-line car, so ergo I guess it simply shouldn't have mechanical/electrical issues? It just shouldn't have squeaks and rattles? "
Yes, I would also agree... and add: If it costs five times as much as a Golf or whatever, it should definitely pay off in superiour quality - and not just in a nicer look.
And I understand if it makes the buyer angry, if he is left alone (after paying lots of dollars) with his issues afterwards. Camshaft variator? Your problem, buddy, come on, you can afford a 10K bill! No, that's exactly not what I expect - paying for the badge only. If there are problems - of course nothing is perfect - superiour problem handling should be included...
How is it justified then that a technically identical piece like a window regulator costs 200 Euros for a Lancia Thesis and 500 for the Maserati QP? (no, it is not a smaller production number...)

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
On high performance cars mechanical issues will develop quicker than they will on the more "common" vehicles, and you should expect that, but when you pay that kind of money for a car and soon discover they come with cheap accessory / trim pieces that fade, peel off, break easily , it's pretty disappointing to say the least . I realize it may be a petty complaint but those parts are ridiculously priced, and adds insult to injury .. Then again, I fit in category 2 - bad experiences with a prestige branded ; I've had a lot of problems, both mechanical and coachmanship-wise with my Porsches, so I was left with a poor impression of the quality, regardless of how much fun it is to drive the car. The expectation of the higher price equals higher quality p incipient is not unreasonable, IMO . That said, I love just about everything on the GTS, so complaints there ...in spite of breaking the seat controls cover off its place by barely tiuching it with my foot while exiting the car .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran across this article today (apologies for the click bate nature of its presentation) but from reading the journals, writers routinely laud BMW as the perfect car for nearly everything (its often boarding on sycophantic). I found it interesting that almost every model BMW is listed as one that people sell after only one year. Mercedes was on there too (which I'm a bit surprised by), the other models don't surprise me that people would quickly turn them in. It makes me wonder why such a wonder machine like the BMWs are (according to this article) turned in after only one year?

http://www3.forbes.com/business/11-cars-owners-cant-wait-to-get-rid-of/12/

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
FWIW, I have never owned a BMW; my daughter attends a high school with a large number of "rich kids" whose parents own multiple BMWs and buy the kids BMWs as well. In her experience, all these supposedly fabulous cars break down constantly. One friend has gone through at least 3 BMWs and she's only a high-school senior.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I have never owned a BMW; my daughter attends a high school with a large number of "rich kids" whose parents own multiple BMWs and buy the kids BMWs as well. In her experience, all these supposedly fabulous cars break down constantly. One friend has gone through at least 3 BMWs and she's only a high-school senior.
That begs the question, why is the BMW such a beloved car to the auto-journalists? If this is true and the car is not reliable, how on earth does it get such high ratings and reviews? That would seem to be journalistic dishonesty if they are reviewing cars as great if they know they have serious reliability issues...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts