Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great to hear about the wishbones, care to tell which car did you source the bushes from? Hope its not a Ford Falcon :unsure:
Lol, IIRC they were off of a Holden HSV and a Subaru - same as the brakes! A bushing is a bushing, a brake is a brake. Its all about whether or not it meets the specs.

I don't think there will be any value gained for anyone commenting on the old threads, other than replying to people with questions that it is on this forum instead now so that people can follow along. And one of the good things that will come out of this is that there will be a much wider selection of pads that fit, thanks to Hawk helping me find some stuff that will fit our cars.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That was the idea, even with the brakes. It just annoyed me that the parts have a quality that is 1 out of 10, and a cost that is 10/10. It is unnecessary.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So my rear rotors and a few adjustment to the hats are finished. Brakes will be getting installed next time I'm at the car (about 2 weeks give or take!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
^^ Hey lambertius, great job, let me know when the rear discs are available, I'll be needing a pair soon.
Thought I had found a substitute in a Brembo disc for a Volvo, but the e-brake was not compatible.
Ed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^ Hey lambertius, great job, let me know when the rear discs are available, I'll be needing a pair soon.
Thought I had found a substitute in a Brembo disc for a Volvo, but the e-brake was not compatible.
Ed.
I made a sortable catalogue out of the DBA catalogue - I could set every measurment that they had for front and rear and out of thousands of rotors and I couldn't find anything that would fit. There really isn't anything direct.

I tell you what - I'll scoot on over to the workshop tomorrow and confirm fitment before I fly out to work, that way if you want to get a set I can get it in motion. Everything is made to order, so it will take a few weeks from the day I place the order.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ed.
I'll put up a video later - but everything fits as it should. No clearance issues, and man it looks nice!

I also checked the fitment of the Hawk pads, and they fit perfectly. This is going to be so much nicer to drive soon!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ed.

Just for you! <3

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Something I nearly forgot to mention - if you're someone who has a front only kit from Zep on Sportsmaserati, and you would like your rear brakes to match, I can copy the slot pattern for you if you want a rear set only. On my set I had to copy the DBA slot pattern for the rears so I know how to do it. Originally I offered to share my design but they were more concerned with protecting their "proprietary information" on the aftermarket brake business than working to get a good result for everyone. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they use a rotor that is cut down to fit, possibly AP though I'm not even sure they know as they're just retailing brakes that are made by someone else. This ironically was the final push for me to make my own set as I started to get some dodgy vibes about the whole thing as I couldn't verify basic retail information like the rotor PCD, air gap, number of vanes, rotor mass etc. Anyway, the point is I'm happy to help anyone who is stuck!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hawk are great. It is so hard to extract a response from most companies let alone actual help let alone help with something new. They will be updating their website so that our cars show up on the pad selection. For all the technical reasons I've outlined Hawk has been my go to company for pads for ages, but just the fact that they have a positive interaction with their customers like this is worth supporting as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
the j-hooks are AP racing patented design for sure.

disc catalog here Ventilated Discs | AP Racing with details like pcd info etc.

I've a set of their racing caliper/rotor on my other toy/track car, reduced like 20lb from stock, yet zero fade even when pushed to smoke.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
the j-hooks are AP racing patented design for sure.

disc catalog here Ventilated Discs | AP Racing with details like pcd info etc.

I've a set of their racing caliper/rotor on my other toy/track car, reduced like 20lb from stock, yet zero fade even when pushed to smoke.
I went through their catalogue when I started the exercise for the reason that I recognised the J-hooks. I thought it would save me some time since I was expecting to find an AP rotor that would fit. Initially, I even asked them if I could just buy the hats from them and buy the AP rotor locally so I could save on shipping, but they refused to disclose where the rotors were sourced. There wasn't a single rotor that was suitable from AP - front or rear. There was one that was pretty close but ultimately impossible to fit due to the rotor PCD. This is the rotor here.

The AP rotor PCD is 203mm, mine is 180mm. AP generally run a thinner annulus than other brands. As you can see from my photos, drawings and the video - there is only just enough room to fit my front rotor, it would be impossible to fit that AP rotor.

My suspicion is that it is an imitation AP rotor. It would fit with their cagey response when I asked them about specs on the rotor, they refused to provide any retail specs. It is probably something like what I did for the rear rotor, something oversized was cut down and then they cut in whatever slot pattern they want. That said, there is no way to know because they won't tell you.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Here is the discussion that finally prompted me to make my own setup. Everyone can make up my own mind but I felt pretty uncomfortable about the whole thing and it is impossible to trust the quality of the parts that they're using if they won't tell you what they are. So yeah, I don't think the rotors are AP but are imitations.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

That was the last message I sent and they never replied. It is worth mentioning I got no such push back from FD. I think they want to do a big brake kit with AP rotors and calipers, but with their current setup they provide zero information so the default assumption is that they're unsafe - so I did it myself!

This also reminds me, as I've now verified fitment - if anyone wants the original drawings/models for the OEM rotors just ask. I'll probably put them up on a CAD repository and provide a link when I can find the time!

·
Registered
107 Posts
AFAIK the FD kit is allegedly made in conjuction with Brembo. I bought my car and it had the FD 6-piston Brembo setup but I thought it came like that from factory despite reading a lot about the car prior. FD advertises its own in house brake kit which I don’t know anything about.

I’ve never really looked into it but I guess its just a Ferrari BBK adapted for this car, all Ferraris up to the F430 used the same 5x108 PCD for the rims so its likely they are using the same PCD for the rotors too.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts