Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the point where I am deciding if I want a Spyder or Coupe. Obviously, there's the difference of top-down experience or the two extra seats. I also assume there's some handling difference. I've never owned a car that wasn't a japanese or german sedan before, and this is going to be a weekend car. I'd really like to hear what things other people considered when making their decision.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I originally wanted a spyder myself....... until I noticed something odd to me.
When I looked closely to the coupe, (non spyder) I realized there was something different, and that I liked the "look" better for some reason or another.
Turns out what I liked better, (personal preference) is the more elongated look of the car.
This being due to the 4" longer wheelbase of the car.
And this is why I really like the Granturismo....... sooo much longer and stretched out!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Always been a fan of coupe cars but did see a gorgeous Spyder, blue nettuno outside, white avorio inside. I needed the rear seats though and do overall prefer the lines of a coupe'.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I originally wanted a spyder myself....... until I noticed something odd to me.
When I looked closely to the coupe, (non spyder) I realized there was something different, and that I liked the "look" better for some reason or another.
Turns out what I liked better, (personal preference) is the more elongated look of the car.
This being due to the 4" longer wheelbase of the car.
And this is why I really like the Granturismo....... sooo much longer and stretched out!

I agree that the coupe looks better and drives better, but having a convertible is a must for me. It's just a different experience and since it's a second car and I pretty much only drive it during nice weather Spyder was my choice.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
When originally looking, I actually wanted the coupe for what I believed would be better performance due to lower weight and less torsional flex. My wife actually talked me into the Spyder and I 'reluctantly' went with that and am soooo happy that I did. There is no substitute for top-down driving and the glorious sound of the exhaust is just that much better with a soft-top. AND....interestingly enough, my concerns about the extra weight (for reinforcement) and the resultant performance hit were abated when I found that track times between runs of a coupe and a spyder were, on average, two seconds faster for the spyder! The author surmised that it must have something to do with the fact that the spyder is about nine inches shorter in length which translates to better cornering somehow? I don't know for sure. In any case, I am very happy with the spyder and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change my decision.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My biggest reason for picking the coupe was having the back seat. Yes, I put a child seat back there! Second was that I actually prefer coupes over convertibles in general... not sure why, just know that when i've owned convertibles in the past, I tended to drive with the top up all the time - and what's the point in that? Ultimately, I just think it is a personal preference thing unless you have small children.

·
Registered
722 Posts
For daily driving I'd go for the coupe for the practicality of a stiffer body and back seats. Plus I think they age better compared to a cloth top.

On the other hand, for a fun car, IMHO you can't beat the spyder. With the top down on a sunny day, you feel like you could just pull back on the wheel and climb straight up into the clouds. A personal rocket ship.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No comparison

The coupe is a completely different car. And I guess the choice is based on what you're buying this car for. for me was a matter of pure enjoyment and not so much of practicality or technical things such as a stiffer body (one thing the Spyder doesn't have). Driving this car top down (only way it's should be driven) is just superb. And the fact that it's less practical makes it more of an exotic I guess...

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are quite a few disadvantages with a ragtop compared to a coupe. The vehicle being less rigid has already been mentioned, and obviously that will make it less suitable for hard driving/track days.

Regarding the difference in length - not only shorter wheelbase, but also shorter rear overhang - I think the spyder looks better (sportier?), especially with the top down!

...and I have a GS convertible - which is absolutely right for me - in spite of living at the Nort sea coast, where it only rains once a year (starts january 1st and ends 365 days later :mad: )

HTH

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nothing Like Going Mach 2 With Your Hair On Fire In The Spyder !!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I Actually Never Wanted A Full Spyder, Had A 348ts Ferrari Great Car But Never Took The Top Off Except For Track Events, Then I Saw The Maserati Gs Spyder Red Tan 06 And Had To Have It. I Think It Will Be A Collectors Model. A Great Driver With The Top Down, A Real Attention Grabber. Just Picked Up A New Gs Coupe Will Advise At A Later Date.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder(tubi)
06 Gs Coupe(awaiting Tags)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
#1 reason was the rear seat (which is a quite usable rear seat, compared to something like an M6, which is useless). Other reasons were the usual convertible issues: weight, stiffness, comfort in extreme temperatures, and maintenance concerns of the top and related mechanicals.

·
Registered
581 Posts
For me the rear seat was a big one as I have a Golden Retriever that likes to come along for a ride. I also have a convertible already so the novelty of top-down driving was not that big an attraction. Was concerned about the reliability of the convertible mechanics on an Italian car as well. However, in the end I still think the Coupe just looks better!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i wanted a spyder and hence i bought a spyder.
if i want a coupe i'd get a GS MCV no questions, or a GT-S similarly.

as other mentioned, the spyder has its slight performance disadvantage. but if you want open top motoring, the spyder is a beautiful choice.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Great question. The answer is that it's totally personal preference.

If you want performance, go for the coupe as it is stiffer and cheaper (leaving more money for aftermarket mods).

For me, I already have a high performance sedan as my daily driver so I wanted something more intense. The Spyder is an amazing experience - loud, rough, sexy lines and the smell of the countryside wafting through the cabin - no comparison to any covered car IMO - BUT there is a serious price to pay.

The problem is cowl shake (or chassis flex in more techical terms). While, I agree with one of the other posters that it may not make much of a real difference in speed, it sure as hell feels worse. It's embarrassing having to explain to your friends why the windows in your $100K+ car rattle everytime you hit a bump - but it's worth it if you want a true escape from reality.

When I drive my Vintage package modded Spyder in the mountains, I feel like I am channeling Fangio racing the Mille Miglia (or maybe my great uncle Charlie Kappler who was a 1920's grand prix racer who piloted a Buggati 35C). Either way, it transports me to another time like no other car I have ever driven.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too had a choice between the coupe and the spyder.

Here's my take:

1) In about every pictures you see with the Spyder - the top is down.

And I will admit - that with the top down, the Spyder looks great.

But with the top up - it doesn't look as wonderful.

The Coupe - the lines are amazing.

2) Backseat is really nice to have.

3) Right now there are a LOT of really good looking convertibles out there.

I have the Lexus one. And it looks sharp.

Even the Pontiac one looks amazing - Stolice?

Granted it's not an exotic or hi-end - but it does look nice.

And I checked out the Lotus which is kind of a convertible.

So the Spyder doesn't really stand out as a convertible, but the couple has a really unique body style.

Gene

·
Registered
491 Posts
Either you want to be seen or needing that unlimited headroom, spyder is the only choice. If those are not your priority, get coupe :) Simple enough? :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love my Spyder

FlashGordon gets it right when he talks Fangio, the Milli Miglia and driving in the mountains. Life is good. Driving a Maserati is apple pie and making it a Spyder just adds the ice cream. There is soooo much more that I can experience with the top down. The smell of the tires, the chirp they make cornering hard or shifting, the rumble of the engine is just short of orgasmic, you can see with no blind spots and the afore mentioned wind in my hair all combine to make the Spyder the only choice for me. Hell, the only drawback is the possibility of getting a 140 mph ticket on some back road.:D:D:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
For me the answer was weather. I had a vette convertible in Dallas where the summers are 900 degrees, and I never put the top down.

I'd get the coupe if I lived in Dallas.

If you lived in SoCal where you will enjoy the weather most of the year, I'd get the Spyder.

Our summers in Colorado are beautiful and the top down was the right choice for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.