Maserati Forum banner

Why aren't you interested?

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Bcube 
#1 ·
I have a post here about coolant smell in the cabin, fogged up windshield and not too many of you seem to be interested in this.
Do you think I'm the only guy here with this issue?
Do you think is cheap to fix it?
Do you think it's easy?
Do you think it'll go away with some magic powder?
It is costing me almost $5k to have it repaired and I have found out the previous owner knew about it long before he sold it to me but "failed" to provide me with the proper documentation at the time of purchase.
As an advice for many out there, if you have the issue it'll slim your account considerably, if you buy such cars in any weather conditions please and I insist, please turn your heater on full blast and smell what's coming trough the vents, wait and don't buy on a nice sunny afternoon, go back in the morning when it's cold and run this test again.
Run away from coolant smell no matter how thin it might be, just don't buy it or have them give you $5k off and you know why.
Are you interested now?
This might be the reason Kent Woodworth never got back to us with step by step DIY instructions, it's a bare of a job, time consuming and the parts are ourtageously expensive.

See less See more
#3 ·
Far from me having anything against these guys but I'm trying to make every maserati fan out there be aware, that's all. I do hope it's very unusual to experience this but I also happen to know from my PM's it isn't.

#4 ·
if it were about fogged up windshield and smell of sex in the cabin i am sure more owners will be interested in giving their two cents.

i reread your other post and it seemed the ones who answered were quite helpful. someone had 4 of them replaced, so you are not alone.

btw good job the heads up for others, and as well listing your past cars in 4 lines instead of 30. that makes the thread more readable.

#6 ·
anti- freeze smell

I have the smell, without the steam. I bought my car from Volvo of San Luis, from Ian Smith aka, IS Imports. I'm hoping, where he has mistruthed about so much, that this is actually spilled fluid at refill, as he was supposed to have the complete fluids changed. I have not run water in the upper cabin area yet, to see if the smell goes away- but I have my fingers crossed. He told me it was under warranty, which it isn't/wasn't, so I'm getting nervous about the posts. I think I'd almost by-pass the heater core, since it is only a fair weather car anyway! (only kidding, the bullet will get bitten no matter what!) Hopefully, were it is only smell- so far, that it will magically repair itself after a good wash down around the upper cap area. Anyone else deal with Ian or his crew?!

#7 ·
Sorry

I have the smell, without the steam. I bought my car from Volvo of San Luis, from Ian Smith aka, IS Imports. I'm hoping, where he has mistruthed about so much, that this is actually spilled fluid at refill, as he was supposed to have the complete fluids changed. I have not run water in the upper cabin area yet, to see if the smell goes away- but I have my fingers crossed. He told me it was under warranty, which it isn't/wasn't, so I'm getting nervous about the posts. I think I'd almost by-pass the heater core, since it is only a fair weather car anyway! (only kidding, the bullet will get bitten no matter what!) Hopefully, were it is only smell- so far, that it will magically repair itself after a good wash down around the upper cap area. Anyone else deal with Ian or his crew?!

Sorry to bring this issue to many of you out there, ignoring it won't do any good to the car or your account. Maybe sell it in the summer and move out of town in case...;).
That's what was done to me, it's a shame but I need this guy to do a surgery on my deviated septum so I can't just blast the individual with accusations, he might put my nose backwards or change my face to a degree where I will have to start doing the moon walk and other weird stuff.
:):):)

#10 ·
I feel your pain. Actually, Andrew is Ian's head clean up boy according to Randy, the general sales manager that was only slightly better to deal with. I too considered BBB, Att. Gen., etc. But looking at there complaints and feedback in ebay and anywhere else I could go, it seemed that it didn't matter. I did pay cash for my car, and had the money wired to him. he also said that if I couldn't afford it, maybe I should look at a lessor car. It was at that point that I wanted to see if this cars traction control could get into his nether regions! I was that mad. But, since this was/is the only car in the world with this color combo- I bit my tongue and bought the car anyway. It was supposed to get some curb rash fixed, wasn't, paint chips touched up, wasn't, ALL systems flushed and filled- don't know yet, and then there is the warranty issue which he stated was there until April 28th of this year- not.
Andrew, who detailed the car, but it was supposed to be the West Coasts best guy, he charges $850. a car- broke the shift lever off not knowing how to get it in reverse. Oh well, the car is now 3550 miles east and it is what it is. Hopefully it will be a good summer! I'm still pretty excited!

#12 ·
I fear that there are many folks that are going to go see Ian....if they can find him! He's a slippery little rascle! As to my car, it is Blu Nettuno with Bordeaux and nero tu tone seats and door panels. The leather headliner is Boreaux. Very stunning and a very mint interior- non smoker. That with the polished wheels, and the red calipers makes for a striking combo. There was a picture of it in the pictures section and the interior, but the interior was much brighter than it is in person. If I were to replace the car, I'd want the same interior, it is that nice looking.

#14 ·
Had similar problem in old Jaguar

So I bought a 91 Jag XJS 2 years ago; I was into Jags and had three, anyway I had the same thing, smell, fogging of winshield, etc. Turns out I was told it was the heater core, several grand to fix. My mechanic put some product in the radiator(cannot recall) what it was, half the folks said don't do it and the other half said it works and is cheap, it worked for awhile and then I sold the car........dogdoc

#15 ·
So I bought a 91 Jag XJS 2 years ago; I was into Jags and had three, anyway I had the same thing, smell, fogging of winshield, etc. Turns out I was told it was the heater core, several grand to fix. My mechanic put some product in the radiator(cannot recall) what it was, half the folks said don't do it and the other half said it works and is cheap, it worked for awhile and then I sold the car........dogdoc
Yeap, that's the other option on fixing it, get rid of it ASAP and I would opt for trading the car into a dealer who has resources to fix, sell etc then trying to evade your buyer and who knows where it can lead to.
Now I have a question: why is the heater core, how come isn't just an other part integrated into the heating system, why the core is the first to give. The radiator used for cooling has gallons of coolant going through every time the vehicle is running and even stores coolant whyle stopped. Why isn't the heater core made from the same material so it could last longer?
Thank you guys.

#16 ·
If you want to dump the car, PM me with what you want for it.

I may be interested or may be able to help you get rid of it.

I'm a used dealer and I would just run it through a major Manheim auction.

Also, more details on why this is costing $5,000 to fix, I have a feeling this can be fixed for much cheaper. Have they given you a tangible quote or just thrown a scary number at you?

#19 · (Edited)
The heater core.

I did take the heating module apart today after I got it back from Ferrari of Seattle and guess what? I pressure tested the actual radiator inside the unit and it seems to be just fine, all the othe components in good order, fan blower unit in perfect shape.
Only one conection between a rubber coolant hose and this unit seemed to have burning markings, white plastic inlets are darker in colour, and I strongly believe I got jipped by Ferrari of Seattle big time. Instead of them taking the unit apart or just this hose and replacing it they just got rid of everything and replaced it with a whole new unit. I'm not very happy at this point.
Someone suggested something about the ruber hose conection and I am 90% positive he was right. Are we all suckers when it comes to repairs on maseratis?
If someone needs parts let me know, I have the fan blower unit, the actual radiator, an airbag ECU, all the brackets and housings with screws and everything that was part of the system.

#22 ·
Not a heater core

I took the heating unit to a specialized shop in West Seattle today and the second the guy looks at the "core" says "this isn't a heater core, it's an AC evaporator" and did the test on it to find traces of coolant and says the evaporator is in perfect order.
As a conclusion FoS never bothered to fix the leak but replaced it alltogether with a new one. It seems that cars aren't repaired anymore, their defects are being solved by quickly removing the whole unit and put a new one in it's place.
Why dealers don't give their customers the option of choosing to fix or replace a part before doing what theythink it's good for them? Is it like this with all ferrari dealers?
I'm sure Glenwood from FoS is reading these threads and whatever he has to say here on this forum please Mark feel free and say it, we are all entitled to express our opinions.
In their private messages FoS has a privacy disclosure and I cannot reproduce any of these discussions due to these facts and I would do it in a hurry since I was threatened and insulted by this individual.
I'm asking BigFoot to send me a pm with a Ferrari factory contact he has in Modena Italy, they need to know how their product it's being represented in the Northwest and how unhappy their buyers are. I would encourage everyone that has issues with these reps to send me a pm and together I believe we cand do something to change the way we are treated.

#24 ·
It's the NC guy who has this same smell and problem you had! I'm SO sorry to hear you were pulled through the ringer in a way...it appears FOS could of fixed it by replacing a hose or two. Is there any way you can tell me the hose which needs to be replaced? Mine is in the shop now where they plan on using the GM pills to help seal the problem. regardless it sucks you were played to spend more money for their inability to find the smaller issue, hose, to save you money and their time to work on other cars for additional revenue to their shop.

#25 ·
Sorry to hear this is the outcome. I don't doubt for one minute that any Ferrari/Maserati stealer would do this knowing damn well it could have been repaired for much less. :mad:
Lets face it, people in general that see an "exotic" named car think you just must have money to piss away. This clearly is not the case for me, and Im assuming many others here and abroad as well.

Best of luck in getting this resolved in your favor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.