Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post here about coolant smell in the cabin, fogged up windshield and not too many of you seem to be interested in this.
Do you think I'm the only guy here with this issue?
Do you think is cheap to fix it?
Do you think it's easy?
Do you think it'll go away with some magic powder?
It is costing me almost $5k to have it repaired and I have found out the previous owner knew about it long before he sold it to me but "failed" to provide me with the proper documentation at the time of purchase.
As an advice for many out there, if you have the issue it'll slim your account considerably, if you buy such cars in any weather conditions please and I insist, please turn your heater on full blast and smell what's coming trough the vents, wait and don't buy on a nice sunny afternoon, go back in the morning when it's cold and run this test again.
Run away from coolant smell no matter how thin it might be, just don't buy it or have them give you $5k off and you know why.
Are you interested now?
This might be the reason Kent Woodworth never got back to us with step by step DIY instructions, it's a bare of a job, time consuming and the parts are ourtageously expensive.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem with the air con but don't have a go at other ML members for not replying to your other posts.

People only write about things they have experience in, so perhaps it is a fairly unusual problem.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about the problem with the air con but don't have a go at other ML members for not replying to your other posts.

People only write about things they have experience in, so perhaps it is a fairly unusual problem.
Far from me having anything against these guys but I'm trying to make every maserati fan out there be aware, that's all. I do hope it's very unusual to experience this but I also happen to know from my PM's it isn't.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
if it were about fogged up windshield and smell of sex in the cabin i am sure more owners will be interested in giving their two cents.

i reread your other post and it seemed the ones who answered were quite helpful. someone had 4 of them replaced, so you are not alone.

btw good job the heads up for others, and as well listing your past cars in 4 lines instead of 30. that makes the thread more readable.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it were about fogged up windshield and smell of sex in the cabin i am sure more owners will be interested in giving their two cents.

i reread your other post and it seemed the ones who answered were quite helpful. someone had 4 of them replaced, so you are not alone.

btw good job the heads up for others, and as well listing your past cars in 4 lines instead of 30. that makes the thread more readable.
Yeah, the lines bothered me too so I decided to simplify things a little and the sex thing ... yeah I guess you're right about everything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
anti- freeze smell

I have the smell, without the steam. I bought my car from Volvo of San Luis, from Ian Smith aka, IS Imports. I'm hoping, where he has mistruthed about so much, that this is actually spilled fluid at refill, as he was supposed to have the complete fluids changed. I have not run water in the upper cabin area yet, to see if the smell goes away- but I have my fingers crossed. He told me it was under warranty, which it isn't/wasn't, so I'm getting nervous about the posts. I think I'd almost by-pass the heater core, since it is only a fair weather car anyway! (only kidding, the bullet will get bitten no matter what!) Hopefully, were it is only smell- so far, that it will magically repair itself after a good wash down around the upper cap area. Anyone else deal with Ian or his crew?!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry

I have the smell, without the steam. I bought my car from Volvo of San Luis, from Ian Smith aka, IS Imports. I'm hoping, where he has mistruthed about so much, that this is actually spilled fluid at refill, as he was supposed to have the complete fluids changed. I have not run water in the upper cabin area yet, to see if the smell goes away- but I have my fingers crossed. He told me it was under warranty, which it isn't/wasn't, so I'm getting nervous about the posts. I think I'd almost by-pass the heater core, since it is only a fair weather car anyway! (only kidding, the bullet will get bitten no matter what!) Hopefully, were it is only smell- so far, that it will magically repair itself after a good wash down around the upper cap area. Anyone else deal with Ian or his crew?!

Sorry to bring this issue to many of you out there, ignoring it won't do any good to the car or your account. Maybe sell it in the summer and move out of town in case...;).
That's what was done to me, it's a shame but I need this guy to do a surgery on my deviated septum so I can't just blast the individual with accusations, he might put my nose backwards or change my face to a degree where I will have to start doing the moon walk and other weird stuff.
:):):)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Sorry to bring this issue to many of you out there, ignoring it won't do any good to the car or your account. Maybe sell it in the summer and move out of town in case...;).
That's what was done to me, it's a shame but I need this guy to do a surgery on my deviated septum so I can't just blast the individual with accusations, he might put my nose backwards or change my face to a degree where I will have to start doing the moon walk and other weird stuff.
:):):)
There are plenty of other surgeons out there...

One thing I did notice over the past couple years - it is easy to mistake the sweet smell of the leather at times (depending on how long the car has been sitting) for the smell of coolant...

·
Registered
439 Posts
A Must Read!

Unfortunately.......... yes. Very long story short is.... I had contacted him about a car I was interested in. He pretty much had his partner (Andrew) follow up with me within half hour of our conversation stating that someone else had just called and was very interested in the car, and that I should just put down a refundable deposit to secure the car.
As we were on the phone, what I believe he did was pretend the "other" interested buyer was right there and then calling him on the other line, and probably wanting to buy the car.

So not knowing any better, and thinking this was the car I wanted, I sent him over $500 via paypal to "hold" the car.

This was all contingent on me going to my local dealer the very next day to actually go and test drive one of these car, since I hadn't even driven one yet.

That next day as I was headed to my local dealer, he called me and said.... "Im sorry to have pressured you, but if you want me to refund your money now, I will do just that". I replied by saying, just give me the weekend to figure out if I even like this car.

Well Monday came, and I got some unexpected news that would keep me from pursuing this purchase for the moment. I contacted both Ian and Andrew immediately, explaining that I could not go through with the transaction, and would need the refundable deposit refunded.

After over 1 month of unanswered e-mails, text messages, and voice messages, I was sure I'd never get that money back.
They both blatantly lied about never receiving any messages, and went further at saying they already sent the money!!

Ian was a bit more cooperative, but Andrew was very unprofessional. After calling him one Sunday evening, (he actually picked up the phone this time)
while apparently having dinner, he told me to "Fvck off" and never call him on a Sunday at dinner time!! :confused:

I opened a dispute with paypal, and pretty much told these two kids at IS Imports that I was contacting a lawyer, and reporting them and Ian's Daddys Volvo dealer to the BBB, SOS, and anyone else my attorney referred me to.

Even after this, it took nearly 2 weeks to get my money back.
Once I had the money credited back, I emailed Andrew telling him that karma is a -----! He replied by saying "weren't you the one with money problems, I could afford to pay cash for that car you were looking at and run it over with my H1".

I know some here have had good experience with them, but......... a word from the wise, I personally have seen their TRUE colors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel your pain. Actually, Andrew is Ian's head clean up boy according to Randy, the general sales manager that was only slightly better to deal with. I too considered BBB, Att. Gen., etc. But looking at there complaints and feedback in ebay and anywhere else I could go, it seemed that it didn't matter. I did pay cash for my car, and had the money wired to him. he also said that if I couldn't afford it, maybe I should look at a lessor car. It was at that point that I wanted to see if this cars traction control could get into his nether regions! I was that mad. But, since this was/is the only car in the world with this color combo- I bit my tongue and bought the car anyway. It was supposed to get some curb rash fixed, wasn't, paint chips touched up, wasn't, ALL systems flushed and filled- don't know yet, and then there is the warranty issue which he stated was there until April 28th of this year- not.
Andrew, who detailed the car, but it was supposed to be the West Coasts best guy, he charges $850. a car- broke the shift lever off not knowing how to get it in reverse. Oh well, the car is now 3550 miles east and it is what it is. Hopefully it will be a good summer! I'm still pretty excited!

·
Registered
439 Posts
There day will come. Next time I'm in Cali. I might have to stop by and say "hello" in person...... :D
What's this color combo you speak of?

Nevertheless, congrats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fear that there are many folks that are going to go see Ian....if they can find him! He's a slippery little rascle! As to my car, it is Blu Nettuno with Bordeaux and nero tu tone seats and door panels. The leather headliner is Boreaux. Very stunning and a very mint interior- non smoker. That with the polished wheels, and the red calipers makes for a striking combo. There was a picture of it in the pictures section and the interior, but the interior was much brighter than it is in person. If I were to replace the car, I'd want the same interior, it is that nice looking.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I fear that there are many folks that are going to go see Ian....if they can find him! He's a slippery little rascle! As to my car, it is Blu Nettuno with Bordeaux and nero tu tone seats and door panels. The leather headliner is Boreaux. Very stunning and a very mint interior- non smoker. That with the polished wheels, and the red calipers makes for a striking combo. There was a picture of it in the pictures section and the interior, but the interior was much brighter than it is in person. If I were to replace the car, I'd want the same interior, it is that nice looking.
Found those pics, very nice combo indeed! Best of luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Had similar problem in old Jaguar

So I bought a 91 Jag XJS 2 years ago; I was into Jags and had three, anyway I had the same thing, smell, fogging of winshield, etc. Turns out I was told it was the heater core, several grand to fix. My mechanic put some product in the radiator(cannot recall) what it was, half the folks said don't do it and the other half said it works and is cheap, it worked for awhile and then I sold the car........dogdoc

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I bought a 91 Jag XJS 2 years ago; I was into Jags and had three, anyway I had the same thing, smell, fogging of winshield, etc. Turns out I was told it was the heater core, several grand to fix. My mechanic put some product in the radiator(cannot recall) what it was, half the folks said don't do it and the other half said it works and is cheap, it worked for awhile and then I sold the car........dogdoc
Yeap, that's the other option on fixing it, get rid of it ASAP and I would opt for trading the car into a dealer who has resources to fix, sell etc then trying to evade your buyer and who knows where it can lead to.
Now I have a question: why is the heater core, how come isn't just an other part integrated into the heating system, why the core is the first to give. The radiator used for cooling has gallons of coolant going through every time the vehicle is running and even stores coolant whyle stopped. Why isn't the heater core made from the same material so it could last longer?
Thank you guys.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you want to dump the car, PM me with what you want for it.

I may be interested or may be able to help you get rid of it.

I'm a used dealer and I would just run it through a major Manheim auction.

Also, more details on why this is costing $5,000 to fix, I have a feeling this can be fixed for much cheaper. Have they given you a tangible quote or just thrown a scary number at you?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want to dump the car, PM me with what you want for it.

I may be interested or may be able to help you get rid of it.

I'm a used dealer and I would just run it through a major Manheim auction.

Also, more details on why this is costing $5,000 to fix, I have a feeling this can be fixed for much cheaper. Have they given you a tangible quote or just thrown a scary number at you?
It is close to $2500 in parts and the rest is all labor, once I'll get the docs I'll try to post them here.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---I have found out the previous owner knew about it long before he sold it to me but "failed" to provide me with the proper documentation at the time of purchase.---
If you can substantiate this you can recover these costs from the prior owner.

A failure to disclose a known defect is fraud my friend.

Don't give up on this!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The heater core.

I did take the heating module apart today after I got it back from Ferrari of Seattle and guess what? I pressure tested the actual radiator inside the unit and it seems to be just fine, all the othe components in good order, fan blower unit in perfect shape.
Only one conection between a rubber coolant hose and this unit seemed to have burning markings, white plastic inlets are darker in colour, and I strongly believe I got jipped by Ferrari of Seattle big time. Instead of them taking the unit apart or just this hose and replacing it they just got rid of everything and replaced it with a whole new unit. I'm not very happy at this point.
Someone suggested something about the ruber hose conection and I am 90% positive he was right. Are we all suckers when it comes to repairs on maseratis?
If someone needs parts let me know, I have the fan blower unit, the actual radiator, an airbag ECU, all the brackets and housings with screws and everything that was part of the system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The closest thing that happens in my car is the smell of windshield fluid when I spray it. Hope it's not related to this coolant issue? Sorry to hear about the problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts