Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every article I read or show I watch these "experts" have negative things to say about Maserati.

I just bought an 04 coupe, I did my research, compared it to other cars in the same price range and made my decision. I have been blown away with the results so far. The car has exceeded all of my expectations.

Its engaging to drive and the interior and exterior are beautiful. Plus my wife can drive it and it has a back seat. The looks and the comments from other people are just the icing on the cake.

The car is so much fun and a great value. I have yet to see another one on the road.

Members with a longer history please tell me what I am missing. This exoctic car is practical and drives incredible...... Why do so many people bash on it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If they'd take the time to learn the gearbox, they'd be changing their song. I love Porsche, but Maserati is special and unless you've taken the time to learn how to drive it, you are not going to discover this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Journalists? Partly herd instinct - these people simply love to conform - and partly money.

BMW and Porsche are big advertisers, and Aston Martin have joined in, so provided there's merit in their machinery they get all the kudos. Yes, the cambiocorsa is a classic target, but it's an easy one for critics because they know the average reader will flinch.

My eldest son (Lotus Exige nut, 41 years old) drove the GranSport for the first time today. 150 miles, with me asleep in the passenger seat, and he absolutely loved it.

Ditto Porsche-owner younger son (36), and I promise you neither of them would (or could) hide their true feelings where cars are concerned.

I wouldn't agree that the general public knock Maserati - quite the reverse in my experience. The name rings some sort of a bell with many of them, and a good look at the car does the rest !

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say a number of "expert" journalist tend to judge Maserati on its past problems and failures rather than on its current merits. Plus, while they wouldn't admit it, many journalists have their own biases that occasionally reflects into their opinions.

I think the public at large has accepted Maserati. Most of them don't even remember it was in the U.S. or even know it was even gone. Truthfully, I think it can only go up for Maserati right now as they expand their range.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
rocco said:
I'd say a number of "expert" journalist tend to judge Maserati on its past problems and failures rather than on its current merits. Plus, while they wouldn't admit it, many journalists have their own biases that occasionally reflects into their opinions.

I think the public at large has accepted Maserati. Most of them don't even remember it was in the U.S. or even know it was even gone. Truthfully, I think it can only go up for Maserati right now as they expand their range.
I agree. A few of my co-workers didn't even realize the cars with Chrysler were made or bad for the marquee. They can only remember the line from the song "Ordinary Guy" by Joe Walsh of the '80s that goes, "I drive a Maserati, it does 185..."

In their mind it is on the same level as a Ferrari or even above since they see them less.

However, that doesn't mean the company can't screw up their future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
However, that doesn't mean the company can't screw up their future.
That's certainly true enough.

There's a Clarkson quote I like, "The company was owned by Citroën, the Italian government and then an Argentine playboy who sold bits of it to Chrysler, which couldn’t manage and offloaded the whole thing to Fiat, who eventually fobbed it off to Ferrari, who joined forces with Volkswagen...[yet] Despite the efforts of everyone who’s owned the company over the past 30 years, it still has a ring. 'Shall we take the Maserati tonight, darling?'"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maserati's Image

Maserati has been through some tenuous times, for instance the very early Biturbos, and de Tomaso was a "lively" personality as well - probably well-suited to the Italian automotive press, which is itself inclined to the acerbic. ;)

But this is no different from other carmakers who've also had some rough times & awkward models. Ferrari got kicked around for the Bertone 308s because they weren't sacred Pininfarina, then for the early Pininfarina 308s because they were underpowered. Loti have always been said to fall apart the moment you sit in them, and Jaguars were cursed by Lucas electrical systems (the "Prince of Darkness").

Objectively all these were corrected in due course. The later Biturbos were excellent & reliable, Ferrari gave the 308 plenty of power, by the 1980s Lotus was building extremely tough Esprits, and Jaguars light up fine. :)

Re Maserati the current handwringing goes something like this: "It's only on its feet and making such good cars because Ferrari bailed it out. Now Ferrari has dumped it, so it's gonna go to hell again." :(

From what I have read, this is not sensible. Ferrari & Maserati are part of Fiat, so Maserati administration has just been realigned in the parent corporation, that's all. Ferrari technology will continue to augment Maserati, and in the U.S. it will continue to be sold/serviced through the Ferrari network.

My only complaint about the current range is that I wish the Gransport were available with a stick; I hate/loathe/despise, in fact don't like, those silly twitchy things that are currently so in vogue. :mad:

·
Registered
773 Posts

those f1 shifting things are really great on track day, but you are right about other times, old folks thing

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree! I love to shift it myself. I like the feet and hands interplay with the right rpms. I kno wthe F1 shifters are all in vougue, 'cause it's the latest and greatest technology for the tech junkies, and of course it is faster, but still I want to do the driving thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you think the Edsel grille would look with a trident?

maseratiguy said:
I know the F1 shifters are all in vogue, 'cause it's the latest and greatest technology for the tech junkies, and of course it is faster, but still I want to do the driving thank you.
After the F1 paddles become last year's hat, we'll all be ready for the next wonderful development in gearshifting ... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, and bring back the drum speedometers and headlights that turn with the steering...oh yeah, that's back (I was going to say folding metal hard tops...but we have those back also).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Knocking Maserati

I have an 04 Spyder Cambiocorsa. I have never seen or heard anyone actually knock Maserati in person. Porsche, MB, BMW, Vette owners etc race to pull up alongside and generally smile and give thumbs up. The only places I really see Maserati portrayed in a negative light is in the magazines and in car chat rooms. The car chat rooms are basically filled with domestic car owners who think anything not "domestic" is crapso their opinions are obviously warped. I have had almost no problems whatsoever with my car, and still believe that for the price, there is nothing that compares. The big issue I have with Maserati is who they are being aligned with going forward. I read just recently that going forward Maserati is going to more aligned with Alfa Romeo than Ferrari. I think this is a horrible decision by Fiat. Maserati is not hurting Ferrari in any way whatsoever by being the "cheaper" brand. I believe the idea of Maserati and Ferrari being tied together only helps Maserati. Being tied to the lower priced Alfa Romeos will only hurt Maserati.... IMHO

·
Registered
114 Posts
MaseratiSpyderF1 said:
Being tied to the lower priced Alfa Romeos will only hurt Maserati.... IMHO
....that for sure but it may boost Alfa Romeo sales which is, unfortunately, a
much bigger base......that's why Alfa Romeo is going to produce the 8C -
to close the 'emotional' gap to maserati.....

regards
iwan

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was driving down a busy road one day in Greensboro NC with my '03 Coupe cambio, had tubi exhaust, a guy was driving next to me with his cell phone hanging out the window so his buddy on the other end could here the car! My wife and 2 kids in the car (the other great thing about Maserati...real space) were hysterical.
Great stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know what you mean. When I talk with my best friend about Maserati he always says that they are bad cars. The break down all the time and stuff. Thats rubbish. I think these big people you're talking about don't spend enough time to learn the Maserati model they're driving. They always go and buy the Porsches and BMWs and Mercs. Because they think that these are more qualitative choices. Rubbish. I read JCs review on the Quattroporte at the Times newspaper and he loved it. He loved the FEEL of the thing. If these people don't get the Feel when driving a Maserati, well I really don't care. It makes me feel more exclusive being a Maserati fan. And I can't wait to grow up and buy a Maserati and experience all this. Does anyone agree? :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Partly it is probably the quality control issues, and party its because Maserati could just do a slightly better job with the cars themselves than they are already doing. The Gransport, is fantastic, and exactally what the Spyder and coupe SHOULD have been from the beginning. You just want to grab the Maserati engineers, hold them upside down, and shake all the goodies you know they could put on the car out of their pockets.

The quirks of the car that simply come with a low production Italian car, like strange ergonomics, for exmaple the extremely far forward position of the 6mt shifter.

Another exmaple, is that I can figure out just about any electronic without a manual, quickly, as that is part of one of my professions. However, there are two devices that almost entirely baffle me. The radio/nav in my fathers Maserati spyder, and the damned thermostat in my apartment. (dont even get me started about our feud... damn you thermostat!) I honestly always make the passenger screw with the radio while I am driving the Spyder, because it simply requires too much of your attention to use while driving. Give me old school buttons, or a BMW I-drive any day.

Also, you should not listen to me on this aspect, as I daily drive an m3 set up with race coilovers with linear springs and consider it cushy, but I think the suspension is way to high, and way too Squishy while in sport mode. I think it is perfect for normal mode, I just wish sport mode was, a bit more hard core.

I would suspect they, like I, are expect out of a Maserati an entry level exotic that shares engineering with Ferrari, but find something very different. Really, Maseratis are for Maserati buyers. If you are the sort of person who likes a Maserati, nothing else will do, except for maybe a Ferrari. The quirks are part of the experience, and if you are buying the car, you expect to pay for them. Maseratis have a unique feel and aura to them, that is apreciated by some, and not so much by others. I persornally dont quite get their attraction, but I know plenty of people who simply drool over them.

For me the cars that get my blood pumping, are Subaru 22bs, Mitsubishi Evo 5s, Subaru p1s, Nissan Skylines, and Honda NSXs. These are of course in many respects, cars that many people would say have very little soul, passion, pedigree, or simply that extra something that Foreign classic marques like Ferrari, Bugatti, Porsche, and Maserati have. I totally agree, the cars I have no "soul"

In conclusion, I think that the issue is, editors give cars that they "don't get" bad reviews. Automobiles have so many aspects of their design, you can find problems with ANY car. If the reviewer doesnt jive with the car in the short time he has it, he probably is not going to be kind to it in his review. Perhaps you could say that Maseratis are a taste you are born with, or aquired, but not all people have it. It is also a taste, that is difficult to put into words. Also, I think a Maserati is a car that takes a bit more time than other cars to get used to, to finally get the full experience out of, I guess you could say the learning curve is a bit higher.

-Colleen

I have to admit this is a pooly layed out post, with scattered ideas. I apologize, its late, and I simply sort of crashed while editing it. The content is good, if you look past the strange ordering of thoughts.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I second that. I think this is the first time I've heard someone say they actually like I-drive. My favorite I-drive moment is when I was dropping off a bimmer for service, and a guy came in with his car screaming because he had a blue screen of death and couldn't do anything. Audi's MMI is far better, but I'll take buttons any day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I drive isnt perfect, but once you learn it (granted its learning curve is absolutely stupidly difficult), its pretty effective.

That said, give me buttons damnit. None of this maserati scroll wheel screen crap in my dads spyder, and none of this touch screen crap in his lexus. I want buttons. BUTTONS DAMNIT!

maserati of minneapolis said:
I second that. I think this is the first time I've heard someone say they actually like I-drive. My favorite I-drive moment is when I was dropping off a bimmer for service, and a guy came in with his car screaming because he had a blue screen of death and couldn't do anything. Audi's MMI is far better, but I'll take buttons any day.
My favorite moment is when I was in a BMW dealership, and a guy who had been leasing bmw 7 series sequentially for a decade and some, returned his new 7 series saying he simply couldn't figure out the system.

He left with a z8 though, is guess thats not a bad concession prize, even if it is a bit ugly.

My favorite blue screen moments I take picturse of, I have some of BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) train ticket machines blue screening, and then being rebooted to windows NT, and NYC taxi cabs with LCD advertisement screens bluescreening.

I want this t-shirt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
24 Participants
RickBullotta
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing