Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to sound naive, but I recently inquired with a non-dealer technician relative to estimates on various services to the car. Most were reasonable, until we got to the oil change: $300.00. Now, I've paid more than $400.00 at the dealer, but we know all about them. What is it about this car that drives the cost of an oil change so high when the same garage will replace springs for $1,000.00? Am I missing something here? Is there anything wrong with using your neighborhood Jiffy-Lube type shop just for an oil change? Could it possibly take more than one hour of labor to change the oil? Does anybody do it themselves. I don't have a lift, but am otherwise somewhat mechanically inclined. Are the filters readily available? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I won't take my 12 year old beat up ole farm truck to Jiffy Lube, much less my Maserati but maybe that is just me.

While changing oil is pretty straight forward on the 4200, there are variables. I have to remove half-a-dozen fasteners on my lower front fairing to get access to the oil tank plug. I don't line up (vertically) wrt to my rubber access plug and tank drain plug. It is not difficult to do but a bit more time consuming.

The motor block drain bolt is easy enough with the proper tool. And the spin off filter is fairly easy but messy.

Buying OEM filter and oil at my dealer is about $110, and my time is worth $210 per hour, so $300 for convenience may be a bit high but not unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lof

Lube Oil and Filter is a hour job at max and extremely simple. It's as easy as changing it on a small block chevy... Filters are available via Formula Dynamics or your local dealer, Oil is available at Checker, Mobil 1 0W-40 full synthetic or via Formula Dynamics for the Quaker State version. The repair manual shows all the steps, I have a copy if you send me your email address I will get it to you... I have been getting my Filters from Park Place Maserati as they had the cheapest price and the best service but I am waiting for Jeff at Formula Dynamics to post his prices before I call or email Park Place as I like Jeff's service better and he helps us all out here...

Check out this link....

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618&highlight=Change

·
Registered
357 Posts
The filter is only available through the dealer as far as I can tell. I pay about $33 for it. Note that the drain plug seals are not included with the filter like some mfgs do. A couple of bucks there. The oil is about $9.50 per quart, with 8 for the engine and 3 for the gearbox. There are 2 drainplugs for the engine with one on the tank and one one the oil pan. The hole in your valence for access to the tank drain should line up. If it doesn't, fix it. You'll need an allen bit for the ratchet to get the oil pan and gearbox drain plugs out. There's really no special skill needed. It's like any other car but with one more drain plug.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The filter is only available through the dealer as far as I can tell. I pay about $33 for it. Note that the drain plug seals are not included with the filter like some mfgs do. A couple of bucks there. The oil is about $9.50 per quart, with 8 for the engine and 3 for the gearbox. There are 2 drainplugs for the engine with one on the tank and one one the oil pan. The hole in your valence for access to the tank drain should line up. If it doesn't, fix it. You'll need an allen bit for the ratchet to get the oil pan and gearbox drain plugs out. There's really no special skill needed. It's like any other car but with one more drain plug.
At the risk of sounding stupid, does the gearbox take the same oil as the engine? And is one of the drain holes for the gearbox or are both for the main engine oil? If both are for the engine oil, why are there two?

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
We carry the Ferrari filters in stock, they run $30 and we include (2) crush washers. The new GranToursimo filter is a bit more as well as the Automatica.

Oil is the Ferrari / Maserati Approved Q European oil and runs $12 / qt. We may be able to reduce it a bit if you buy it all from us, however we really don't make much on it. We decided to carry it more as a service / convienance for MLife guys / gals. So they can do it in their garage on a Saturday and save a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi guys ok so this is how the oil works.. I have asked 200 people on this. 1st you can call Jeff and buy your filter from him (your best bet) and in terms of oil you can buy the shell rottella 5w-40w from walmart for 17 a gallon and then take your car to a place that knows your car and ask them how much they charge for labor maybe 100 an hr??? bottom line is do not ever take it to the dealer as you will def get raped

·
Registered
431 Posts
oil change

Do it yourself-if you want to do it properly and get the satisfaction. It aint rocket science!
Buy proper oil and parts and keep all receipts as proof for next owner.
Check the archives for picture by picture instructions. Do not overfill with oil.

Can anyone give more info on how and when the gearbox oil is changed please.TIA,

·
Registered
35 Posts
oil capacity on my truck is 13 quarts... of full synthetic :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does anyone have any details/photos of a gearbox oil change?????
I don't have photos. The drain plug takes a big allen bit and is right on the bottom of the gearbox. The fill plug takes a wrench and is on the right side of the gearbox. It's kind of obstructed by the crossmember such that a ratchet and socket won't work and you have a limited wing on the wrench. As I recall, the wrench size is 22mm. I don't recall the allen bit size for the drain plug.

Anyway, remove the drain plug with a catch pan under it. Be sure the copper washer comes off. Allow to drain fully, expecting about 3 qts of oil. Replace or clean the copper washer and reinstall the drain plug. Remove the fill plug. Using a pump, put in the new gear lube. The capacity is 3 qts. when the lube runs out of the fill hole, it is full. Replace or clean the copper washer and reinstall the fill plug.

The pump I have is a hand pump made for this purpose. It goes in a bottle and has a hose with a nozzle that has a sort of barb that holds it in the fill hole. Check your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
431 Posts
silly oil level question

When should you check the dipstick level? When cold or hot? Its just that its a dry sump and its got 2 drain plugs. I may have put in a little too much oil.
TIA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.