Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video about how each Maserati engine was built. A single mechanic would spend a day building one Maserati engine and when finished would sign their name on the engine. After 6 years my engine runs perfectly. I don’t know who built it but I’d like to thank him.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I watched a video about how each Maserati engine was built. A single mechanic would spend a day building one Maserati engine and when finished would sign their name on the engine.

I'm pretty sure you watched a video on how AMG or Rolls Royce engines are built.
Ferrari mechanics don't sign their engines, and never did, except for a few very special cars.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm pretty sure you watched a video on how AMG or Rolls Royce engines are built.
Ferrari mechanics don't sign their engines, and never did, except for a few very special cars.
I've posted this before, but I've got a signature inside my rear bumper. Not as cool or official as the AMG engine sigs, but still makes me feel special. haha

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
When rebuilding my 1962 3500GT engine, I striped the paint off the block and scratched into the aluminum was "Paulo e Maria" nice tribute to a 57 year old romance!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,212 Posts
Here's what I found when I took my engine cover off.....

KroySquare.jpg

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve tried to find the video that I watched but with no luck. It must have been sometime between 2008 and 2014 when I had my QP. It showed in detail how the Maserati was painted at the Ferrari facility and followed a single mechanic through a day long engine assembly where at the end, it was said he would put his name on it.

Now I’m sure each engine has a record of who did what during the build and if one mechanic assembled an engine entirely by himself, his name would be of record. So, now I’m not sure if I took “put his name on it” literally.

We can all agree that Watching documentaries, with adult beverages, can understandably lead to misinterpretation and misunderstandings.

But please tell me I was not mistaken about my 2013 GT being painted by Ferrari!

3,972 Posts
If it takes you a day to put a car engine together then you are drinking adult beverages for sure...Plus costing your company a lot of money...The entire hand built thing is marketing BS...The parts are all measured before hand with a computer...They are just assembled by hand just like any other engine on the line...It is far from a blue printed engine etc...Any new car engine can fail..It is usually from a component not being made to spec...Not from the assembly of the engine...It is all controlled to stop human error....Jason

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,212 Posts
Good thing about signed auto parts.......if it breaks down, at least you know who to sue....lol. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
This is what I found:

"The engine in this car is a wear item, and it is not covered by the Maserati CPO program...just like every other part on the car"

I say this in jest due to my dealings with Maserati. LOVE the car...despise Maserati. :annoyed:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’ve tried to find the video that I watched but with no luck. It must have been sometime between 2008 and 2014 when I had my QP. It showed in detail how the Maserati was painted at the Ferrari facility and followed a single mechanic through a day long engine assembly where at the end, it was said he would put his name on it.

Now I’m sure each engine has a record of who did what during the build and if one mechanic assembled an engine entirely by himself, his name would be of record. So, now I’m not sure if I took “put his name on it” literally.

We can all agree that Watching documentaries, with adult beverages, can understandably lead to misinterpretation and misunderstandings.

But please tell me I was not mistaken about my 2013 GT being painted by Ferrari!
I recall the vid, it wasn't a specific car show, it was called "how things are built" or something like that. The QP was features and showed the whole process, don't recall the sin though...

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are 3 documentaries. One about the GT (can't remember the name, it was quite old 2008 or so), one about M156 QP made for the 100th anniversary ("How it's Made: Deam Cars"), and one about the M157 Ghibli ("Supercar Superbuild S01E05").
You can find them on torrent sites, they've been taken down for copyright strikes from all other video sharing sites, included Youtube. Something I don't understand why as there is no way of buying them, they've been made for TV and broadcasted years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts