Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 17,500km on my Sport QP and tires need replacing. I figured since the tires are toast anyway, and never having done this before, and encouraged by others as adolescent as me on this forum, I would go and see what it is like to "smoke" my tires. Felt kind of stupid when it didn't work the first time, and realized I had to disable MSP. Well, for those who haven't tried this, it is a lot of fun but there is definitely a skill to it, i.e. keeping a straight line etc.:D

Anyway, after feeling very satisfied, on the way home from the parking lot, I wondered, if MSP keeps the wheels from spinning out, and I wanted to see how fast I could do 0-100km, would I want to go through the gears with it on or off?:confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it would depend on a lot of factors.

You make more torque at higher RPM, so when the MSP light is flashing from a dead stop, you're delaying the time it takes to get the car into peak torque range.

If it's warm out and the tires are warm, doing it manually will spin the tires, get you into peak torque range and the tires should bite sooner

If it's colder out, the tires are cold, or they're not the best performance tire, the tires aren't going to grip slower and you'll just sit there spinning your tires.

0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are all about initial reaction time (at the track) and initial traction. Your contact patch is equal to the amount of rubber actually touching the ground, however when only two of those wheels are driving power, you have 1/2 that contact patch being available to accelerate you. This is why the 993 Porsche Turbo was so fast off the line and able to break the 4 sec mark (3.9 sec), it has 4 wheels with power so it has double the contact patch.

Another (big) factor is our cars make enough power that we could punch the throttle at start to break the tires loose and then provide enough torque to keep them spinning. You'd actualy want to feather off the throttle (still keeping it in beginning of ideal power range) enough to get some traction and start moving.

I've never actually timed myself both ways but the local drag strip has an open track night Fri nights and for $20 you can take as many runs as you like. Anyone in the Philadlephia/NJ area want to meet up one night and play around?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts