Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do this, although the dealer is scaring me ($500 and level of difficulty). I do know that I have to take the belly pan off. No worries there, I have a low profile jack, so with jackstands, I will just do it slowly (I will also have to evict the Ferrari out of the garage). What about all this business about disconnecting oil lines and the filter needing 1.4 hrs of labor to get to?
I have done oil changes on my old 911, so I am familiar with dry sumps and having to drain the reservoir. I also do occasional damage to Alfas and Ferraris, removing heads, doing tune ups, and other light mechanical work.
I even bough the proper AGIP oil ! What is the cross reference for the filter, or this is a strictly dealer part (canister, right?)
Manual says: no touch !

o2 coupe 6speed, Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, they are trying to scare you. On my '02 Spyder GT, the hardest (time consuming) part is getting the belly pan off after that it's a snap. The filter is not in the most convenient location but not bad, tucked up behind the block on the passenger side. I did the whole thing in about 1 hour and 2 beers. The filter comes with the copper washers for both the engine drain plug and the large oil tank plug.
I didn't remove the oil lines but rather drained the old oil (3000 miles), filled the car with a standard 5w30 ran it till the oil was warm and drained it again to clear the lines. Then I replaced the filter and filled it with Mobile 1 5w50. That was probably overkill as the lines can't hold more than a quart of used oil but so be it.
For the life of me I couldn't get a cross reference number for the filter so I got the Official Maserati spin-on filter from Ferrari of Atlanta for $35 and change.

Rick . . . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Sunburn
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing