Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Duoselect (so dry sump set-up).

I checked my oil today and noticed white froth on the dipstick and tube heading down to the motor. This typically can mean that the car has not been driven enough recently and has some water that needs to get burned out of the oil (I have been on vacation for a week) OR that a head gasket has blown and oil and coolant are mixing.

My car has 6,000 miles on it and has never over-heated to my knowledge (which can typically be the cause of a blown head-gasket).

Anyone have some perpsective on this? I am going to check out the coolant for oil when the car cools down as that may confirm the head-gasket issue.

Thoughts? I thought this engine was supposed to be bullet-proof! I am very concerned. Obviously my car is under warrranty but still NOT happy...

UUuughh!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have an 07 Duoselect (so dry sump set-up).

I checked my oil today and noticed white froth on the dipstick and tube heading down to the motor. This typically can mean that the car has not been driven enough recently and has some water that needs to get burned out of the oil (I have been on vacation for a week) OR that a head gasket has blown and oil and coolant are mixing.

My car has 6,000 miles on it and has never over-heated to my knowledge (which can typically be the cause of a blown head-gasket).

Anyone have some perpsective on this? I am going to check out the coolant for oil when the car cools down as that may confirm the head-gasket issue.

Thoughts? I thought this engine was supposed to be bullet-proof! I am very concerned. Obviously my car is under warrranty but still NOT happy...

UUuughh!
I would do the checks you suggested, leaving the car sit for a week won't leave that kind of froth on the dip stick. I leave mine sitting for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and never have this problem.. I would also take out the oil drain plug and drain a quart into a can and see if it has water in it.. See if it's milky. If so, I would have the dealership come pick it up... Next question is do you live in a cold climate? Did the block freeze? Was it running okay when you took it out last time?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no detectable oil in the coolant. And, the coolant level is not low. That being said, it isn't at the max. It could be at the beginning stages of this issue.

The antifreeze could be going into the oil and not the other way around.

I wish the was a quick way to get a look under the valve covers on these cars. That would tell the story quickly.

BTW, the car seems to be running just fine. That being said, it coolant were leaking slowly into the oil passages, that shouldn't affect performance. If coolant were getting into the compression chambers, that would be another issue and would affect performance, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would agree with your statement that it is just minor, normal condensation. Especially if there has been a temp. change from where your car was driven last to where it is sitting now.

Nick

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, but I did a cooling system pressure test (I have all the equipment for this). I pressurized the system to 15psi and it leaks down about 1 to 2 psi per minute with no external leaks. Something tells me that coolant and pressure is going somewhere and mixing within the motor. Not a good sign. Will talk to the dealer today.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OK, but I did a cooling system pressure test (I have all the equipment for this). I pressurized the system to 15psi and it leaks down about 1 to 2 psi per minute with no external leaks. Something tells me that coolant and pressure is going somewhere and mixing within the motor. Not a good sign. Will talk to the dealer today.
Just remember that if coolant get's in the cylinders it will burn off, but won't do much damage if it's not leaking lots and you catch it early. If it is you will get good old hydraulic lock, do the valve bending thing or break a rod, etc.
If coolant is mixing with your oil then you have water in the crank case and water with the sulfur by-products in your oil creates sulfuric acid which will eat your crank/cam bearings and seals if you let it sit for any period of time.. The amount of damage can be very bad in this case, let alone if you keep running it. You could also have a leaky water jacket inside the block, doesn't have to be in the heads..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can help.

Hi, Trgvell

I just have five questions for you about your engine oil.

1- Has the car ever been over heated

2- When you perform the coolant pressure test, does the gage ever goes to 0 psi? And if not where does it stop?

3- Is there any oil in coolant tank?

4- When you check engine oil on dip stick, is only milky or froth at the engine oil level? Or is it whole oil mark?

5- How does the engine run? Rough or smooth

Thank You.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Trgvell

I just have five questions for you about your engine oil.

1- Has the car ever been over heated

2- When you perform the coolant pressure test, does the gage ever goes to 0 psi? And if not where does it stop?

3- Is there any oil in coolant tank?

4- When you check engine oil on dip stick, is only milky or froth at the engine oil level? Or is it whole oil mark?

5- How does the engine run? Rough or smooth

Thank You.
Answers:

1. No.
2. Need to check again. Not sure.
3. No oil in the coolant tank
4. Milky only at the very top of the entire dipstick. Out of the range where you check it.
5. Engine runs like new.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they did a test where they remove the coolant expansion tank cap and place a device over the cap that has some chemicals in it. Bubbles go through the cap from the expansion tank and will turn the fluid a differnt color if there are any combustion gases in the coolant.

Mine was fine. They said I have no problem and should drive the car more often, longer trips, and harder. Also, I am going to change out the Castrol Syntec crap I put in 2K ago and am going with the OEM Q-Euro 5w40 from Formula Dynamics (that stuff is hard to get).

My only mental wonder here is can coolant go from the cooling jacket, into a oil passage in the block (head gasket area) and still show the results that the dealer tested for. If fluid was going slightly in that direction, and no oil spilling into the coolant, there would be no combustion gases in the coolant right? But still coolant in the oil? Am I missing something here??

In any case, I am going to change the oil, drive the car, and report back.

Do keep the ideas flowing though!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Changing to the good oil and starting over might be a great idea. You should only have to go a short distance, let the car fully warm up and then let it sit over night to see if it happens again.. Castrol is crappy oil, the kit from Jeff is great, the easy way to do it, or you can do the Mobil 1 0w-40 route as well. This year I myself am going the Jeff route... Keep us in the loop!

Answers:

1. No.
2. Need to check again. Not sure.
3. No oil in the coolant tank
4. Milky only at the very top of the entire dipstick. Out of the range where you check it.
5. Engine runs like new.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they did a test where they remove the coolant expansion tank cap and place a device over the cap that has some chemicals in it. Bubbles go through the cap from the expansion tank and will turn the fluid a differnt color if there are any combustion gases in the coolant.

Mine was fine. They said I have no problem and should drive the car more often, longer trips, and harder. Also, I am going to change out the Castrol Syntec crap I put in 2K ago and am going with the OEM Q-Euro 5w40 from Formula Dynamics (that stuff is hard to get).

My only mental wonder here is can coolant go from the cooling jacket, into a oil passage in the block (head gasket area) and still show the results that the dealer tested for. If fluid was going slightly in that direction, and no oil spilling into the coolant, there would be no combustion gases in the coolant right? But still coolant in the oil? Am I missing something here??

In any case, I am going to change the oil, drive the car, and report back.

Do keep the ideas flowing though!

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts