Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 Spyder GT (21K miles) is getting a new clutch, TO bearing, and flywheel refinishing. Also a new hydraulic line (the last one was leaking - my indie thinks this is why the clutch went at 20K miles).

Is there anything else I should have them do while it's torn apart and I'm waiting for parts?

Thanks,

-H

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What about the Pilot and Bellhousing bearing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clutch woes

My '03 Spyder GT (21K miles) is getting a new clutch, TO bearing, and flywheel refinishing. Also a new hydraulic line (the last one was leaking - my indie thinks this is why the clutch went at 20K miles).

Is there anything else I should have them do while it's torn apart and I'm waiting for parts?

Thanks,

-H
By coincidence, my 03 Coupe is in the shop right now for a new throw out bearing and possibly a clutch (I'll know how it looks once they get it apart). :mad: It's a 6 speed, so no hydraulic line issues -- just a bad bearing.

Why the flywheel refinishing? I'm looking forward to hearing what the other forum members have to say about what else to do while it's apart. If you learn anything important, please PM me. Thanks.

Best -

Bill

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks,

-H
define Refinishing?... you must not turn the flywheel they cannot be resurfaced they are beveled to the clutch the contact point will be cut in half if you resurface it!!! and it will chatter.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't understand the flywheel refinishing either....I just had my clutch replaced which also included a full replacement of the flywheel. I'd consider having them replace rather than refinish....or, at least ask why they're suggesting this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Same here. New clutch disk, pressure plate, thrust bearing, and flywheel at 15K on an '04 GT = $4K CDN.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here. New clutch disk, pressure plate, thrust bearing, and flywheel at 15K on an '04 GT = $4K CDN.
Great price. I was just quoted $4,700 US for the same repair from my dealer (The Collection in Miami). Of course, with the current exchange rate, that might be $4K Canadian....;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Of course, with the current exchange rate, that might be $4K Canadian....;)
I wish (based on my VISA bill for a trip last week to L.A.). $4700 US is about $5960 CDN right now!!

The price of the fix was therefore very good - you should get your car repaired up here Bill.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great price. I was just quoted $4,700 US for the same repair from my dealer (The Collection in Miami). Of course, with the current exchange rate, that might be $4K Canadian....;)
Prices are all over the map. I was quoted $3800 Canadian for clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and pilot bearing BUT the labour was covered under warranty due to a campaign on the pilot bearing.

I had previously been quoted $5100 Canadian to do everything out of warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... thanks for all the replies...still in negotiations

... to further the story

I called my indie and discussed my concerns (pretty good shop, the biggest indy for ferrari, lambo etc in the region), and they claim that there should be no problem resurfacing the flywheel.:confused:

As this replacement was part of my purchase agreement when I bought the car used, I'm dealing with a third party as well (the Merc dealership where I bought it). They don't seem keen to pay for a new flywheel (they lost a lot on the sale). I'll keep on them, or just pay for a flywheel myself...

In terms of driving the car after all fixed (one way or another), what should I do to break the clutch in, and hos can I test it to see if they did a good job?

Thanks for all the replies! This board is the reason I bought a Maser (I live by the M5Board as well, and this site is just as helpful).

-H

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was quoted $3050 here in LA by a certified indie for the same work (replace clutch and all relevant parts)...without even negotiating. Im holding off though until its completely shot.

Don't know about them "resurfacing" your flywheel though.

·
5,887 Posts
I called my indie and discussed my concerns (pretty good shop, the biggest indy for ferrari, lambo etc in the region), and they claim that there should be no problem resurfacing the flywheel.:confused:
I would be concerned about resurfacing the flywheel. Where in Alberta do you live?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would be concerned about resurfacing the flywheel. Where in Alberta do you live?
I talked to my dealer about this and was told they can resurface the flywheel if the damage is superficial. In my case, it wasn't -- plus I wanted the peace of mind of a new one since I'm already spending the labor to have the clutch torn down.

Long story short, just got the car back from the dealer. Spent $4K+ on a new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. In the process, they adjusted they shift linkage and replaced the diff. oil. As expensive as it was, it was worth every penny. The car drives great - better clutch action, smoother and shorter engagement. I didn't realize what I was missing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.