Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

Just wondering which type of clutch is present in my car.
I have a 4200 CC euro model on a 02/03.

I understand that some clutches are a single tang and some are double tang. How do I find out which one mine has without having it removed? Am I right in that later tyear ones were double tang?

Are the double ones a superceed part ie. are they interchangeable?

tia

·
Registered
255 Posts
As on owner of an 02 CC - I doubt you still have the single tang (unless you have never replaced the clutch!)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

came with the single tang.. always replaced with the double tang..

·
Registered
255 Posts
007 - if it is the original then I can tell you that mine was still going strong at the 22K miles mark (unfortunately the F1 pump then died and both it and the clutch were replaced)
Have run nearly 25K miles since then without problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barbuckle, Thanks for the input.

I drive gingerly most part but I'm quite sure its the original. Since yours is a Uk spec car. Have you had the software upgrades for the :

1.Nit module
2. the gearbox

does it make any difference.

Stratstone said that someone had opted for the gearbox software upgrade to stop the jerky shifts and apparently his gearbox ecu got fried. I got cold feet and didnt want to risk it as it is out of warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you had the software upgrades for the :

1.Nit module
2. the gearbox

does it make any difference.
Yes I have had all these "campaigns" done and the improvement in the gearbox changes was noticeable. However the main change appears to be in the "difficult for a robot" areas of 1st/2nd changes. It definitely improved this, but the "secret" appears to be making it hold on to 2nd longer than it used to. This reduces the no. of times you run up to a give-way and the system decides to pull-down to 1st just as you press the throttle (used to be a pain!)
As posted elsewhere the best driving approach is to beat the car by pulling Down to first to eliminate the danger of an automatic down-shift.
Some sw versions appear to have "reduced" the fun factor e.g. no throttle blips on sport-mode down-shifts - but my car has retained this feature and also the pull-down in 1st and reverse for hill starts. It may be that "new software versions" drops these features whereas altered "settings" in existing software can change the shifting behaviour (so I am not sure whether I got "new software" or just some tweaks to the setting on existing software!)
Some guys refused new software because it "softened" the sport-mode changes. Mine still slams the gears in when you change without lifting-off in sport mode.

At one point I asked if the dealer actually knew which "exact version" of software was in the car - but I am not sure that this is clear on the Maserati CC system - even the software is "hand-crafted"!

As for the NIT - couldn't tell the difference, can't even remember what the "fixes" were supposed to be.

By the way - I recently tested an 07 Gransport and it was interesting to see how the transmission behaved. It felt significantly better (smoother and more "predictable") at junctions but I noted that it tended to hang-on to second gear even longer than my coupe (only when you more or less stopped did it pull-down to first). The sport mode shifts were also a bit smoother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts