Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new set of tires for my 04 Spyder. Its the GT model. Has the skyhook suspension and other goodies.

My question for the experts amongst us is...What are the best tires for this model? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
(opening can of worms)
I'm no expert but I am enjoying the Goodyears. Great price, good looking tread pattern. Not as soft or expensive as the Pirellis, but I'm hoping for more tread life. Pirellis only 6k miles.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Beating the dead horse :]

Michellin PS Tires...

By far the best. And they are available at costco for about a hundred less!

·
Registered
722 Posts
PS2, P Zero, F1 GS-D3 generally get the best reviews. The GS-D3 can pick up more gravel than the other two, but may have better hydroplaning resistance, if that's an issue.

RE050's are not bad but heavy.

I have P0 Rosso now, but these are almost all-season tires and so score lower than the above. I'll try PS2 next, but I want to go +10mm width, so Costco is out for me. I'll try tirerack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much for the quick advice. Sounds like either the Goodyears or the ps2 would be good choices.

I tore up one of my rears today, so I will make the decision in the am and get it back on the road.

Very cool to get this feedback from other owners.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The local tire dealer was recommending a Nokian NRY. Anyone ever hear of these.
Tire Dealers like to sell brands that pay the best and ones that arent moving as quickly as preferred.

Not all, but thats my opinion based on a few lessons learned when I was a youngster.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would go with Michelins.

Most Goodyear tires have been made by Michelin, yes Michelin, but the tread is different as is the style.

PS2's are a great tire.

·
Registered
227 Posts
shop em on tirerack.com. You'll save hundreds of dollars. I got a set of 4 Goodyears shipped to a guy who installed them at my house for a grand total.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Spyderman, have you checked this link yet?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

I was seriously considering the BF Goodrich because it's supposed to be great on dry pavement, and we don't see a lot of rain here in California anyway. But the tread-wear grade is very low, even worse than the PZero.

So I think the best choice is the Goodyear Eagle, the grip is great and the tread-wear very high.

I know MaseratiBoy is a big fan of the PS1. Ali, do you have any idea of how long they last?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Spyderman, have you checked this link yet?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

I was seriously considering the BF Goodrich because it's supposed to be great on dry pavement, and we don't see a lot of rain here in California anyway. But the tread-wear grade is very low, even worse than the PZero.

So I think the best choice is the Goodyear Eagle, the grip is great and the tread-wear very high.

I know MaseratiBoy is a big fan of the PS1. Ali, do you have any idea of how long they last?
The BF Goodriches are terrific; I'm about to buy another set. They don't seem to get much respect, though. I have a QP; I've had Pirelli, Michelein and the two sets of the BFGs. The BFGs fronts have lasted about 16K miles and the rears about 10K. They are the stickiest tires I've had by far. Great tread look, terrific in dry, good in wet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nokian is Finnish... I only know them by their snow tires... not performance tires :) Apparently, the other part of comapny became Nokia (yeah the cell phone company) while the tire part is now under bridgestone ownership...

I liked yokohama avs-i, bridgestone s03, and my now fav Toyo Proxies T1-R.

jess

·
Registered
65 Posts
Michelin PS

My Jaguar XJR was originally with P-Zero, but I changed to Michelin PS years later and found it with less noise and better road holding especially in rainy days, besides, at a cheaper price. Also Bridgestone is quite good but can't last that long, I have tried both the S-02 and S-03 on my Audi TT, but now they produced the new RE-050 that I still don't have a chance to try.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Mix and Match?

My 07 QP Sport currently runs with stock Pirelli tires. I am now at 16K and the rear tires need replacing. Questions:

1) Does that mileage sound about right?

2) There is plenty of tread on the front so I was wondering what are the issues re safety and performance were I to pick a cheaper replacement for the rear e.g. Michelin or Bridgestone until such time as I need to replace all four tires in which case I would then use one make.

3) If one can mix and match, does it matter what I use on the rear if I have Pirelli on front?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ended up buying the PS2's. Excellent tire so far. I bought them from a local shop; clearly overpaid, but as I said in an earlier post, I had shredded one so I needed to get tires.

Next issue... need a battery. The darn thing wont hold a charge. Any recommendation for a Battery, or are they all the same?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 07 QP Sport currently runs with stock Pirelli tires. I am now at 16K and the rear tires need replacing. Questions:

1) Does that mileage sound about right?

2) There is plenty of tread on the front so I was wondering what are the issues re safety and performance were I to pick a cheaper replacement for the rear e.g. Michelin or Bridgestone until such time as I need to replace all four tires in which case I would then use one make.

3) If one can mix and match, does it matter what I use on the rear if I have Pirelli on front?

My understanding is that no problem to have different tires as long as they must be paired in the same axle, and recommended to have the better tires on the front. Of course same tires can give better appearance. It's normal to wear more on the rear tires since this is a rear wheel drive car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---3) If one can mix and match, does it matter what I use on the rear if I have Pirelli on front?
Very dangerous combination!

Should never mix tire makes. Too much difference which can cause disastrous results.

Go to wider rear tires so the load is more evenly spread over a greater surface and you'll cut down wear.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Should never mix tire makes. Too much difference which can cause disastrous results.
I don't understand why, could you explain better, please? Thank you!

·
Registered
133 Posts

Go to wider rear tires so the load is more evenly spread over a greater surface and you'll cut down wear.
AFAIK it's fine to use different brands\treads (within reason) on each axel, as long as you aren't mismatching tyres on the same axel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts