Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
After the members of my family increased my 4200CC seems a little small for long journeys.
Since i love the emblem, i'm thinking of changing my 4200 with a QP.
I definately don't care that much about sportiness, (i am ready to give away CC gearbox for a descent auto).
I believe there are many variations in the market, but what are the real differences between them.
Any help most appreciated
Regards
PaNoS

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are 3 models with the duoselect and 3 models with the new Auto.

These are standard, Sport GT , and Executive GT. The duoselect sport model has a faster gearbox change, different wheels and trim. The Executive has further trim and entertainment package. Grills and side vents are different as well.

In the Auto version I suppose the gearbox is the same across the models.
I can understand the change to an Auto however even though I live in London and traffic is horrendous I do not find the duoselect a problem as long as it is in sport mode.I must admit though I do put it in Auto mode whilst crawling around the city at 8mph.

My wife also manages to drive it around town without the lurching.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Before settling on the Duo select Sport QP, I test drove both the auto and DS quite a bit. The auto is very smooth, and with the paddle shift option does provide some sporty fun, at least on the up shifts. However, because it doesn't double clutch on the down shift, you miss one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving such a car, the lovely sound of the engine rev down shifting. The auto just doesn't have the sound some of us so enjoy. The DS transmission provides the feel and for the most part the performance of a manual sports car, but the interior and exterior looks of a luxury super saloon / sedan. Think of it as something between a stick shift and a full automatic, for me the perfect compromise. You will definitely feel the shifts, but as mentioned, also hear them. Why not just test drive them both? (BTW, I think every one who drives the DS, for the most part only drives it in Sport Manual. All the other modes are just too slow on the shift.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an '07 QP but I'm still not sure about which transmission to get. Does anyone have experience comparing a Porsche Tiptronic to the QP Auto or DuoSelect? My biggest fear is dealing with the cost/headache of getting the clutch replaced regularly so I have a tendency to want to go with the QP Auto.

I currently drive a Tiptronic Porsche 996 and I always use the manual mode. Friends like to poke fun and call it "wussy-tronic", but hey, I enjoy it. I like the sound of the engine reving up when I down shift in the 996. Am I going to miss out on this sound in the QP Auto using the paddles? I understand the QP Auto is less enjoyable compared to the DuoSelect but how does it compare to a Tiptronic 996? Step up/down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a both a Porsche tiptronic and QP automatic. I did not get the QP with paddles (an option on the auto) since it was a third car, mostly for my wife. I do often put the QP "stick" in manual mode and shift gears, helps keep the revs where you want them when you are not in full acceleration mode (otherwise the automatic thinks a grandmother is driving and shifts to the highest gear quickly - similar to the tiptronic in auto mode with a light foot). The tiptronic is similar to the QP manual mode. So, being long winded, they are similar but the tiptronic seems more dated due to the fact they are buttons instead of the gear shift or paddles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What may add to the confusion is the 1 year specialty models, such as the 2005 "Neiman Marcus" Edition which included:

Bordeaux Pontevecchio Exterior Color
Standard Poltrona Frau Leather
Model Specific Aluminum Grille
(A couple other knick-knacks that I can't recall).

As for the Duo vs. Auto, I am in the Duo camp as well. I have driven the Duo (not the auto) but I think that is a major part of the mystique of the vehicle. With the Auto it gets a little more "mainstream".

I looked at the QP as a replacment for my 7series BMW and trust me between the smaller size (I had a "LI'), stronger engine, more direct steering feel, exhaust note and Duo it was such a more visceral experience!! Don't discount that rev matching throttle blip on downshift either, so much fun. The 7series felt like a city bus in comparison.

As far as the clutch goes, you can do searches on this site and get lots on tidbits on do's / don't's whiich prolong life.

Best wishes with your decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What may add to the confusion is the 1 year specialty models, such as the 2005 "Neiman Marcus" Edition which included:

Bordeaux Pontevecchio Exterior Color
Standard Poltrona Frau Leather
Model Specific Aluminum Grille
(A couple other knick-knacks that I can't recall).

As for the Duo vs. Auto, I am in the Duo camp as well. I have driven the Duo (not the auto) but I think that is a major part of the mystique of the vehicle. With the Auto it gets a little more "mainstream".

I looked at the QP as a replacment for my 7series BMW and trust me between the smaller size (I had a "LI'), stronger engine, more direct steering feel, exhaust note and Duo it was such a more visceral experience!! Don't discount that rev matching throttle blip on downshift either, so much fun. The 7series felt like a city bus in comparison.

As far as the clutch goes, you can do searches on this site and get lots on tidbits on do's / don't's whiich prolong life.

Best wishes with your decision.

Thanks alot
Don't forget that i already drive a 4200CC which is pretty much the same thing.
I was thinking auto, because i like the smoothness rather the vulgarity for a saloon.
I totally agree that Duo is more fun.
I also have the CAyman S which is very very pleasant rather than comfort.
This Porsche will be my "toy" after the QP!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It probably goes without saying that you should definitely extensively test drive both the CC and Auto in a "daily use environment". The wrong decision on transmissions could make your QP experience less than ideal. I ended up buying an Auto with paddles, which worked best for my situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts