Maserati Forum banner

Which is better to buy: Low vs. Higher Mileage

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MVP 
#1 ·
In my limited experience, it seems the more I drive my vehicles, the less problematic they seem to be (compared to friend's "low mileage" cars). That being said, I wonder if the same is true for Maserati. Do you think a 2004 model with 15K miles might actually be better to consider than a 2004 model with 2K miles. The asking price difference is $2K for the lower mileage one. (Comparably equipped) Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish....

For $2,000 more go with the low mileage Maserati. If for no other reason than your clutch life and costs will be that much less over time. In addition, drive it good and take it in for the 6,000 mile oil service and check up. Ask about all the updates and ask your dealer to go over everything. That service should cost you less than $500.00 and you will have great peace of mine. Make sure you find out about clutch life as well.

Some people have replaced clutches at 15,000 - 18,000 miles, as well as tires. You also have a recommended service at 18,500 miles. A clutch job will cost you $3,500, your 18,500 mile service is another $1,200 figure $800.00 for tires. The higher mileage Maserati is NOT a good deal at all compared to the other car. Service costs will start to get you.

Personally, I would go with the lower mileage car because I know how well I take care of my cars. I have seen how others beat on theirs. While 15,000 miles is not a lot on a car, 2,000 miles is a much better starting point. That being said, If the deal is right and you can get the higher mileage Maserati for say $8,000 less than you may want to consider it.

Good luck. CM

#3 ·
go for the higher milage one....

and let me score the lower miliage one...

in all seriousness, both would presumably be under warranty. I would absolutley go for the lower milage one and then drive it myself as much as possible to get rid of the quirks and demons before the warranty expires...

Chris is right...the higher milage one is clearly coming up to a clutch replacement, therefore will in the end cost more than the low miliage one

#4 ·
it really depends on how those miles were cared for. yes these cars are meant to be driven spiritedly, but it the said maserati has seen a more than a few track days, you will be better off with a low mileage car.

since it is under warranty, i would say a low mileage example:
less wear and tear as mentioned, plus
less winkle to the leather. i hate seating in other people's bum marks especially in these leather seats (Aston Martin's are worse).
less stone chips or dings or potential body work.

yes, on something like an out of warranty 340R (!) or exige, a low mileage one that seen a couple of track days a year and an enthusiast owner who sorted out the issues should be a better example than a garage queen.

on a warrantied maserati, i would not get a higher mileage one.

are you correct that *some* cars get well sorted out and behave itself after good ownership. you have more chance to do that if you start with a low mileage sample.

#7 ·
One car is either underpriced or one is overpriced if the price difference is only $2k with that much mileage variation there should be a $6-8k difference.

Either way I would go with the higher mileaged one. Why? Because a car that's actually been driven will give you less problems then one that's sat in a garage the last 2 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.